Cipriani booted out of the England squad for Saturday's game

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I can't believe some of the defence for Cipriani here. He's a professional rugby player about to make his international debut. I would say the very definition of a berk was someone who would jeapordise that by being out on the town a few days beforehand.

Ashton should have waited for his side of the story?? Cipriani's side of the story is that he had to pop by at a nightclub at midnight to drop some tickets off... hardly a mitigating excuse is it?

One thing's for sure.... Cipriani won't do it gain. This could be the kick up the backside that spur him on in his career. I'm not Ashton's biggest fan but I support him wholeheartedly on this affair.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

I thought I read somewhere that Ashton was going to give out a statement or announcement today to explain his decision. Will be interesting to see if he does (unless I imagined it?).

The thing is, we don't know the actual reason, only some of what the media are saying, but IF there was a curfew, whether written, spoken or implied, then he broke it - doesn't matter if it was 15 minutes and whether or not he had a drink. If there was a rule, it has to be applied and enforced, otherwise any future rulings would be ignored out of hand.

I don't rate Mr Ashton but if he made a ruling and it was broken, he is sticking by what he said, and I have some respect for him for that. Even though there are better choices than Balsh.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Well said Iain. He has been punished becuase he broke the rules. Whether his actions are born from ignorance, stupidity, arrogance or naiveté is neither here nor there. That he broke the rules prior to his First Team debut start, and risked this public dressing down tells me that Ashton's action was essential, to save the man, hopefully, from future indiscretions. Right action, potential for the best result - a youing man who noiw respects authority.

I imagine Capello would have done the same with an England footballer.
CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by CJ »

if someone is on an electronic tag curfew, then even a minute is breaking it. mind you, it takes so long for the monitoring company to bring them back to court that even Balshaw could have caught a ball in the meantime
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

I didn't get where I am today by arguing with you CJ. Spot on.
Big Tigger

Post by Big Tigger »

Phil B said: Well said Iain. He has been punished becuase he broke the rules.

Why is there a persistance with breaking the rules when nobody it appears other than the england team themselves and The Sun (sorry gospel) know whether there was a curfew to break? if so yeah it was stupid and he should be punished, if not shouldn't he be given some slack as he's done nothing wrong and been dropped for nothing?
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

I hear what you say. However, if it turns out that he has been punished for no reason, then, frankly, I would be amazed. If that were so, then Ashton should be fired, with immediate effect, for gross incompetence.

But surely, surely, you don't think this decision was taken without a lot of soul searching, by the Management, do you? Ashton comes over as Mr Reasonable, does he not? Well I think he does - maybe too reasonable at times.
Capricorn
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Capricorn »

Huh, Mr. Reasonable! I don't think so . This is a nasty,spiteful and vindictive knee-jerk reaction to a lad who he was pressurised to include,but never wanted in the first place.
If he were that reasonable he would have sacked Balshaw along time ago. Methinks there is a hidden agenda here, and Danny is being set up.
Anyway, what does the constant inclusion of a 3rd rate player say to the rest of the team.
Balshaw is a liability, and the other backs have to cover for him.Ashton is hopeless at man-management and should go, forthwith!
:smt013 :smt013
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Is that a tad unreasonable?
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I agree with Brian 100% in getting rid of Cipriani and even more so in bringing in the excellent Balshaw - tee hee hee - now where did I put that Murrayfield weather forecast " rain rain sleet wind (of the swirling variety) more rain and a touch of snow " .. plenty of wind apparently ... most of it coming out of Balshaws backside!
Now we just need to coax Mssers Sheridan Mears Easter and Croft for a good night out on the whiskey!

Seriously what was Cipriani thinking! if the ticket story is true why was he acting as touts goffer?? - surely if you had a mate playing for your country and he was good enough to sort you out a ticket you would go a :censored: fetch it yersel' not expect the poor bloke to trudge into London to find you just cos you were trying to have some knees up in some dodgy night club and couldn't be ar..d to go out to his gaff to get it!!! - unbeliveable
Gizmo
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Gizmo »

What puzzles me in all this is the inability of either Ashton or the RFU to explain the reasons why Cipriani's behaviour was unacceptable. If he broke an agreed, explicitly or implicitly, curfew, fine - that's easy to say. If Ashton thinks being in a nightclub late-ish is not good preparation for an international - fine, but why not say so. But as far as I can see, no reasons have been given, simply a conclusion that this is inappropriate. I find this puzzling, given that it ought to be an easy call.
Budster
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Budster »

Dropping a ticket off my ar**, that's the best a Stupid immature young lad could think of.

He was out on the pop, as simple as that.
And needs to learn fast by the looks of things or we could have another Gazza.
Big Tigger

Post by Big Tigger »

wow budster, i've yet to see proof he was out getting drunk so have you found some? and do you really think if it was an excuse that it would only be him to make it up and he wouldnt have consulted anyone else to for advice?
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Shaun Edwards (and Ian McGeechan) have leapt to Cipriani's defence. And in doing so Mr. Edwards has, IMHO, illuminated why he in no way could be, and should be considered in the future, for a role in coaching England Elite players. He may be a brilliant coach, but he does not understand the ethos of Rugby Union and his wish to have both a club and country role does his players a disservice.
Last edited by Bill W on Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The opinion expressed above is that of the author and does not imply any acceptance of it by Leicester Football Club PLC or their agents who in no way share responsibility with the author for its publication.

MJLTAW 2007
MOPAW 2007
seaweed
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by seaweed »

Silly boy but has already shown serious mistakes in judgement. Previous girlfiend ?????? could be one.
To quote Ray Gravell - You've got to get your first tackle in early, even if it's late.

Owain Glyndŵr now he was a man of vision.