Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Stephen18
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Leicester Tigers 2017/18 Squad/Transfers/Contract thread!

Post by Stephen18 »

Danny criprani is out for twelve weeks so I'd imagine wasps will be looking for either a flyhalf or centre with injury dispensation, so hopefully we're close to getting someone as I can't see us competing against them for a top class centre if they choose to move goppath to 10 and get a centre.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Stephen18 wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:05 pm Danny criprani is out for twelve weeks so I'd imagine wasps will be looking for either a flyhalf or centre with injury dispensation, so hopefully we're close to getting someone as I can't see us competing against them for a top class centre if they choose to move goppath to 10 and get a centre.
Centre would be an odd choice with Daly, de Jongh and the Fijian Lobuvalu (special? ). Brendan Maken is a squad player for them as well and he's reliable.
L Smith wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:58 pm I think Bill Meakes could do a job for us in the centres: can play 12 and 13 and had plenty of AP experience at Glaws.
Not sure what he'd offer that Smith doesn't. If we do sign a hard hitting centre than someone with a bigger workrate (Hurrell) or an absolute juggernaut would be the preference. Meakes is alright but not likely to improve us much beyond what we have. I'd rather Thacker and Worth got game time or we use that Welsh chap we signed in the summer.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

RagingBull wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:58 pm Kitto to Worcester on loan for the short term.
Does this suggest Ben White is being viewed as taking the 3rd scrum-half slot?
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

With Gopperth having a niggling injury does that mean that Jacob Umaga could get his chance?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
big john
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by big john »

I would be tempted to start playing Holmes on the wing and move Malouf into 13, maybe look at another 15 as we are a bit thin there. TV is good going forward but a bit light in defence and I don't see him lasting all season with out a knock or two and to be fair this only really leaves us with Tait as cover add to this our luck as a team and these knocks will come around the big games and even if he looks a good guy for the future I am not sure if Worth is ready just yet.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

George Worth is currently injured (hamstring I think), Catchpole should also come into the reckoning for centre as should Brady and Tait. at present I see no need to waste money on a new signing just to boost the squad, if an international quality player was available then that's different but it would have to be someone of much greater ability or potential than those already on our books.
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

Tigers add to their front row options. Kyle Traynor and Jake Kerr have been signed up permanently.

https://www.leicestertigers.com/news/ti ... ow-options
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

What do we know about Tongan and Waratahs winger Atieli Pakalani then chaps?

Apparently signed for Tigers with immediate effect?
Brianf

Post by Brianf »

Coops wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:37 pm What do we know about Tongan and Waratahs winger Atieli Pakalani then chaps?
The source of all things genuine, Wikipedia, says he is nicknamed the 'Tongan Hitman'...He is another former Australian Sevens player, I believe...have seen him milling about the ground at the last two home games. Now I know who he is!
Last edited by Brianf on Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Coops wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:37 pm What do we know about Tongan and Waratahs winger Atieli Pakalani then chaps?

Looks like his last professional club was the Tah's but he was only there for 1 season in 2011 (14 games, 25 Points), can't seem to find where he's been since although he has been capped by Tonga this year, from his highlights clip on youtube which seems to consist of his one year at the Tah's he seems pretty decent and the commentators rated him
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I'm liking the direction, buying well-hard players (Malouf, Pakalani, Mapapalangi) to join the like of Smithy and To'omua, all defensively 'ard and pretty good going forwards too. We just need the lineout sorting frankly.
Look at me, MOC-disliker, being enthusiastic. :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

kpj tiger wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:48 pm

Looks like his last professional club was the Tah's but he was only there for 1 season in 2011 (14 games, 25 Points), can't seem to find where he's been since although he has been capped by Tonga this year, from his highlights clip on youtube which seems to consist of his one year at the Tah's he seems pretty decent and the commentators rated him
Been playing in the NRC.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Welcome Afa( he looks useful, is this Manus injury replacement?)
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

tigerburnie wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:13 pm Welcome Afa( he looks useful, is this Manus injury replacement?)
Don't think so, he's been here a while.

Think he might just be a project signing rather than injury signing.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

perhaps we should be looking at.

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/forces- ... o-munster/

For lock?