LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by ABClub »

You can replace injured players but once a player has been replaced in the squad they can't return. England named their squad on the 7th August by choice but the 33-man squad didn't need to be finalised with WR until 1st September. Watson was announced as ruled out on 27th August so should be eligible to come back in if he were fit and someone else injured.

I believe there are rules around players not in the 33-man squad being in the travelling party, staying in the same hotel as the team or of course training to avoid richer unions playing the system.

Previous international coaches and players have talked about players needing to be registered with WR in a wider squad to be called in as replacements too. From memory that was a 50-man group in the past. Hence how the most likely reserve players tends to leak out.

The same journalists who had the squad a day early mentioned that LCD could be fit for the latter stages and is apparently a possibility to be called up. Tom Willis was also mentioned as a reserve player ahead of Dombrandt for instance. If there's a chance of Watson being available later in the tournament then he'd surely be registered. I'd be surprised if Underhill weren't in that group as well for instance even after him being released relatively early in the camps. He suits the game plan, if Curry or Lawes were injured for the KOs and Underhill had performed for Bath then he'd make a lot of sense.

It's a long tournament and plenty of injuries will happen. I didn't make many predictions before the tournament but I did mention that I thought whichever two teams progress from pool B would likely lose to France and NZ in the QFs with the beating from that pool taking its toll. The Boks are already several key players down and Marx being ruled out is an cruel hammer blow.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ay2oh wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:57 am As someone said earlier he is a class player if we can keep him fit but my preference would be a one season contract and then get a younger player with less international commitments next season when the cap goes back up.
Who you thinking for younger that would be better than Watson? At 29 a two year deal for Watson would be pretty ideal for us. Get his last two peak years and then renegotiate depending on where his body is and before the Lions Tour (which he may still make).

I'm all for going fishing and trying to acquire talent. The Chilean fullback Inaki Ayarza would be one on the list to look at. Plays wing and centre for his club in ProD2 and at 24, 6ft1 and 15 odd stone he would be worth a punt. Depending on what he's earning at Soyaux Angoulême and how long is on the contract.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:44 pm
ay2oh wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 9:57 am As someone said earlier he is a class player if we can keep him fit but my preference would be a one season contract and then get a younger player with less international commitments next season when the cap goes back up.
Who you thinking for younger that would be better than Watson? At 29 a two year deal for Watson would be pretty ideal for us. Get his last two peak years and then renegotiate depending on where his body is and before the Lions Tour (which he may still make).

I'm all for going fishing and trying to acquire talent. The Chilean fullback Inaki Ayarza would be one on the list to look at. Plays wing and centre for his club in ProD2 and at 24, 6ft1 and 15 odd stone he would be worth a punt. Depending on what he's earning at Soyaux Angoulême and how long is on the contract.
I love the WC for putting players in the shop window. We can't forget it for putting Veainu in our plans in 2015!

I know we are stocked at 9 but I love the look of Torrealba for Chile! (and Fernandez too but likewise we are well stocked at half back). Some of the Uruguayan backs looked very sharp too against France - especially Amaya at 15, and the more well known Vilaseca and Freitas. Amaya in particular was impressive to me, Vilaseca and Freitas will be more pricy as they are well established at their clubs in the Pro D2 I believe.

Some of the Portuguese backs are exciting too if I remember rightly - Storti, Marta, Sousa Guedes would be worth a punt in the back-3.

Still good to put these types of players in the market!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Just need to be so careful with signings from 2nd tier nations and them settling in this country. I know Saumaki came during Covid, and had difficulty settling, but he very rarely hit the heights of his highlight reel
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

As far as I can find Freitas is out of contract with Vannes and not announced elsewhere. I mentioned him a while back as an ideal pickup given we could do with a 3rd outside centre but he also covers wing to a really high standard. A lesser heralded Moroni.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 3:58 pm

Just need to be so careful with signings from 2nd tier nations and them settling in this country. I know Saumaki came during Covid, and had difficulty settling, but he very rarely hit the heights of his highlight reel
Saumaki was a good punt. It didn't work out but he had some good appearances and scored a few nice tries. I suspect he was reasonably priced given he wanted to reunite with his family which he couldn't in Japan.

I'd take a punt on a guy in his early twenties who could cover multiple positions. Just gives us options and makes it more likely they'll find a spot within the side.

We also took a punt on a Tier 2 winger Vienau after a world cup and that worked out pretty well.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ABClub wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 4:00 pm As far as I can find Freitas is out of contract with Vannes and not announced elsewhere. I mentioned him a while back as an ideal pickup given we could do with a 3rd outside centre but he also covers wing to a really high standard. A lesser heralded Moroni.
A post world cup deal until the end of the season would be a good move. Particularly if Stevie B fancies calling up the likes of Watson, Kelly and OHC come the 6N.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

As centres we have Kelly Scott', Porter, Cockanasiga and Woodward. We other players like Shillcock, Atkinson, Cusick and Kata that can also play there. How many more do we need?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

sam16111986 wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:39 pm

Saumaki was a good punt. It didn't work out but he had some good appearances and scored a few nice tries. I suspect he was reasonably priced given he wanted to reunite with his family which he couldn't in Japan.

I'd take a punt on a guy in his early twenties who could cover multiple positions. Just gives us options and makes it more likely they'll find a spot within the side.

We also took a punt on a Tier 2 winger Vienau after a world cup and that worked out pretty well.
Don’t disagree Sam, was Vieanu already playing in Europe I’m unsure. Saumaki was definitely worth a punt as you say circumstances didn’t work out and a few tries in 3 seasons not enough imo
Again purely my opinion someone like Martins the Portuguese 7 would be worth a punt, playing a decent standard in French 2nd division and wouldn’t require too much settling into the culture etc.
I would be wary of looking at a Pacific Islander for instance with no experience in Europe.

Slight aside I don’t think we have any players of pacific island heritage in the current squad. Must be the first time in a long time
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Saumaki scored some brilliant tries but his positional sense and defence were both poor which you can’t afford if you want to win tight games. Wouldn’t be surprised if we signed someone after the World Cup .
A2O
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:17 am

Don’t disagree Sam, was Vieanu already playing in Europe I’m unsure. Saumaki was definitely worth a punt as you say circumstances didn’t work out and a few tries in 3 seasons not enough imo
Again purely my opinion someone like Martins the Portuguese 7 would be worth a punt, playing a decent standard in French 2nd division and wouldn’t require too much settling into the culture etc.
I would be wary of looking at a Pacific Islander for instance with no experience in Europe.

Slight aside I don’t think we have any players of pacific island heritage in the current squad. Must be the first time in a long time
Kata and Cokanasiga as well as Malelili Satala in the senior academy?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

kpj tiger wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:07 pm

Shows what I know 😂. Completely forgot the first 2 wasn’t aware of Satala.
Thank you :smt023
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

johnthegriff wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 10:14 am As centres we have Kelly Scott', Porter, Cockanasiga and Woodward. We other players like Shillcock, Atkinson, Cusick and Kata that can also play there. How many more do we need?
The issue for me is the same as last season. We have good numbers but only two players that are strong defensively at a 13 - Porter and Scott. Which is the toughest position to defend these days. Having Potter cover there against Leinster showed the risk in that.

Cokanasiga has never looked at home at 13 but maybe he can crack it. He's always looked more comfortable at 12 to me.

I think Kata will be second choice 12 cover for Kelly as we lacked a carrier at inside centre last season when Kelly was injured. It's an astute signing in that role as he will add physicality when needed.

Woodward is an out and out 12 who looks extremely talented. I'm hoping he gets regular game time at Notts this season.

As far as I can find Shillcock and Atkinson have never started a game at centre.

Whilst Cusick shifted to the wing with Moseley in Nat 1 last season which seemed to help his fortunes as he was selected for the U20s, again on the wing.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:25 pm
kpj tiger wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 12:07 pm

Shows what I know 😂. Completely forgot the first 2 wasn’t aware of Satala.
Thank you :smt023
I'm not sure about Satala but it sounds like a Fijian name to me, I may be wrong though
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Satala is currently at Leicester Lions
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.