Tigers v Saracens (A) - Premiership - Saturday 4th November - KO:15-05

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Saracens (A) - Premiership - Saturday 4th November - KO:15-05

Post by Soggypitch »

Where do you see the team announced? Not on the website yet which is annoying!

Very surprised Ben Y is not in the 23. It will be tough down there if they really have picked all their internationals!!
Soggypitch
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I think that we have done the right thing with our world cup players but I also think that in the interests of parity and to prevent mismatches, there really should be set rest periods at least in the weeks immediately following international duty.

I do not think that Saracens are doing anything wrong. They would have marked this up as a must win match and we would have it down as one where a losing bonus point would be acceptable. If the fixture were at Welford Road, I would have suspected the position would be reversed and we would have had most of our World Cup players on the pitch and Saracens may have sent the reserves.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Soggypitch wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:08 pm Where do you see the team announced? Not on the website yet which is annoying!

Very surprised Ben Y is not in the 23. It will be tough down there if they really have picked all their internationals!!
Saw it on social media, yes they really have picked all of their internationals.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

This could get very messy!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:10 pm I think that we have done the right thing with our world cup players but I also think that in the interests of parity and to prevent mismatches, there really should be set rest periods at least in the weeks immediately following international duty.

I do not think that Saracens are doing anything wrong. They would have marked this up as a must win match and we would have it down as one where a losing bonus point would be acceptable. If the fixture were at Welford Road, I would have suspected the position would be reversed and we would have had most of our World Cup players on the pitch and Saracens may have sent the reserves.
I do agree. In a normal season would we expect to get anything away at Sarries, doubtful. If Tigers were at home we may have gone stronger.
Like last week this 23 will fight hard and do their best for the shirt
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:12 pm This could get very messy!
Could swing the other way, players could run out of gas, be more prone to injury, show their lack of training with this squad etc. Bringing them all back in on 3-4 days training is not without risk as well.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Would in interested to see if any other clubs are resting their world cup players. Sale said a few would play, but not seen teams for quins, northampton etc.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Other than Ludlam for Saints, and the Sale lads already mentioned looks like no one else has gone down the Sarries route
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:08 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:04 pm Saracens have picked all of their World Cup players- we’ve picked none apart from Tommy- all rather odd.
Tbf they need the win,it will be a tight league this year with the loss of games,Sarries are going for the 5 by the looks of it. Hopefully we can get a LBP or TBP
You are right Scott- they need to go for the wins given their position but it is one of the oddities of rugby that you never know from one weak to the next how strong a team will be for a league game.

If we get a losing bonus point that would be great but I think it will be a tough afternoon.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

GB72 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:17 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:12 pm This could get very messy!
Could swing the other way, players could run out of gas, be more prone to injury, show their lack of training with this squad etc. Bringing them all back in on 3-4 days training is not without risk as well.
Definitely!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

The other thing that may have been considered, is that Tigers players are walking into a new regime with new coaches and structures, they will need some time to acclimatise
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:37 pm The other thing that may have been considered, is that Tigers players are walking into a new regime with new coaches and structures, they will need some time to acclimatise
I would accept that if they were actually on the training pitch but they are not reporting for duty until after the weekend and so they will be as acclimatized next week as they could have been for this match.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

For me, we showed clarity, away at the StoneX is one place we can afford to get rests out the way, no issues if we don't win there...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

GB72 wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:44 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:37 pm The other thing that may have been considered, is that Tigers players are walking into a new regime with new coaches and structures, they will need some time to acclimatise
I would accept that if they were actually on the training pitch but they are not reporting for duty until after the weekend and so they will be as acclimatized next week as they could have been for this match.
There is stuff that can be done away from the pitch, calls etc which the players can look at now they aren’t concentrating on the World Cup
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 12:47 pm For me, we showed clarity, away at the StoneX is one place we can afford to get rests out the way, no issues if we don't win there...
Yes,we could still quite easily get smashed going full bore so it's the right call for me.