Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: World Cup Squad Announcements

Post by Scott1 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 8:18 am
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:59 am Not very exciting is it? Looks like it's gonna be a same old same old golden oldie squad by the looks of it. Shame really
Guess the coaching team must be more interested in winning than excitement...
But I am surprised that others are so surprised. Make a very late change to the complete coaching team relative to the World Cup, and people can't understand why Borthwick goes for experience and familiarity
I can understand it,I get it completely. I'm not gonna scroll back through my old posts but I said this is exactly what would happen. My point being there's experience and there's over the hill. Many fall into the latter category for me now I'm afraid
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:14 am
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:59 am Not very exciting is it? Looks like it's gonna be a same old same old golden oldie squad by the looks of it. Shame really
But I am surprised that others are so surprised. Make a very late change to the complete coaching team relative to the World Cup, and people can't understand why Borthwick goes for experience and familiarity
I can understand it,I get it completely. I'm not gonna scroll back through my old posts but I said this is exactly what would happen. My point being there's experience and there's over the hill. Many fall into the latter category for me now I'm afraid
Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. Fortunately, when you're a head coach, you can ignore 99.9% of these! :smt042
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:21 am
Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 9:14 am
Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion. Fortunately, when you're a head coach, you can ignore 99.9% of these! :smt042
Not if you perform like we did 6N :smt003
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

For what it’s worth I think we get knocked out in the QF by Oz,it’s meant to be!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

As for the lack of Saints’ backs it may be that collectively they are an impressive attacking unit but individually none are outstanding and defensively frail. For me, none would oust the incumbent England players and even some of the other contenders.

Vesty is doing a good job for the Saints team and perhaps should have been in Borthwick’s coaching team.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

I cannot disagree with you mol2
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not trying to stir the pot here genuinely,but what's the Bath fascination?!
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Definitely looking more Fazball, than Bazball!!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

ads wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:35 am Definitely looking more Fazball, than Bazball!!
:smt003 :smt023
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Borthwick has only been selecting training squads,, it is quite possible that players released will be recalled before he finalises his actual squad for the World Cup. Saracens and Sale players have only just joined in, some of them may well not make the trip and could lose out to ones that have previously been released.
Personally I think that any player who has signed a contract to play abroad after the World Cup has indicated that he does not value playing for his country and should be excluded from the squad now to make room for a player that would relish the opportunity.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:14 am Borthwick has only been selecting training squads,, it is quite possible that players released will be recalled before he finalises his actual squad for the World Cup. Saracens and Sale players have only just joined in, some of them may well not make the trip and could lose out to ones that have previously been released.
Personally I think that any player who has signed a contract to play abroad after the World Cup has indicated that he does not value playing for his country and should be excluded from the squad now to make room for a player that would relish the opportunity.
Completely disagree, in the sense that the market is skewed because of Wasps,Wuss,LI. Players should absolutely have special dispensation to be able to play in this RWC. Would be wholly unfair if players were excluded in this current climate! Could it be the case that players/agents might take advantage of this? Perhaps,but you can’t do it on a case by case basis. It’s either yes or no to all
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:14 am Borthwick has only been selecting training squads,, it is quite possible that players released will be recalled before he finalises his actual squad for the World Cup. Saracens and Sale players have only just joined in, some of them may well not make the trip and could lose out to ones that have previously been released.
JTG this 41 man squad plus those listed as recovering from injury is it now. It is this squad that will be used through the warm up internationals. The only change may come if for instance 1 of the 3 tight heads is injured and needs replacement
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

It's not a squad that will strike fear in the tournament favourites, that might suit SB's mentality for being an underdog, but the opportunity to have a "free" hit at this RWC has been missed.
The 6N squad will be more interesting.
I feel a lot of the England coaching set up are out of their depth, there is a potential for a 2015 performance.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 12:47 pm It's not a squad that will strike fear in the tournament favourites, that might suit SB's mentality for being an underdog, but the opportunity to have a "free" hit at this RWC has been missed.
The 6N squad will be more interesting.
I feel a lot of the England coaching set up are out of their depth, there is a potential for a 2015 performance.
See that's my thinking. This was essentially a free hit,he had carte blanche squad wise and has gone with players that are over the hill,out of their depth at this level or who havnt performed for a while. Very disappointing tbh.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Admittedly the draw helps, but I will be very surprised if England don’t reach the semi.
There is enough quality and experience in that side combined with a decent game plan to do so.
The fact that they will avoid any of the Big 4, France, Ireland, New Zealand and South Africa, if they beat Argentina is a big bonus