Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Why not us?

Post by Crumblies »

ellis9 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:34 pm
Exeter have a very, very good coach and play rugby the right way, the way we used to. The way we should have stuck to instead of trying to play "entertaining rugby" just to keep some fans happy who were bored watching "boring" rugby. I feel like a parrot. I said this, the very moment Mauger was brought in.
Your right, you keep peddling this like a parrot. Fortunately most of us have a more factual recollection of history.

First I have never, and can't remember any other members of this forum, expressing a view that they were bored with "boring rugby" and wanted "entertaining rugby", though I'm sure most would prefer the latter as long as it was winning rugby.

What we probably did say was that the old Tiger days of a 10 man game where the forwards told the backs, to in effect play with their Plasticine until they were ready to part with the ball had gone, and the rest of the rugby world had moved on. It was now a 15 man game, in which backs were frequently called upon to fulfill the role of a forward and vice versa. something RC hadn't been able to accept or implement over several years. Yet I think you'll find that even the Exeter's and Saracens are playing the 15 man game I describe.

You may feel that Mauger's approach is to advocate flinging the ball about with gay abandon. I suspect as a 50 cap All Black, fully recognizes the significance of forward dominance or parity in order to provide the backs with quality ball.

Finally I and, I believe, many others on this forum think that may be it would have been proven that Mauger wasn't the solution but half a season after the removal of Cockerill was not enough time to judge.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

So what is apparent is that with a good squad, excellent coaches, good development infrastructure and an engaged and supportive management championships and European honours can be won. All we now need to do is identify which of these is absent from Welford Road.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

chewbacca wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:57 am So what is apparent is that with a good squad, excellent coaches, good development infrastructure and an engaged and supportive management championships and European honours can be won. All we now need to do is identify which of these is absent from Welford Road.
The squad is good, but it doesn't have the depth required to compete for honours at the moment.

I'd suggest the rest is missing from Welcome Rd.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

May I throw an iron into the fire when I suggest that many British and European stars are not considering moving to the Tigers as they think that they may have to play second fiddle to a bunch of second rate southern hemisphere
players? :smt010
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Noddy555 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:30 pm May I throw an iron into the fire when I suggest that many British and European stars are not considering moving to the Tigers as they think that they may have to play second fiddle to a bunch of second rate southern hemisphere
players? :smt010
Or be automatically replaced by a player returning from a two year injury break.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.