2nd Row

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: 2nd Row

Post by Grimlish »

Strange how fickle we fans are. Dom was widely touted as a captain in waiting in pre-season, based on both his obvious leadership and season-Long performances last term. Kitch has been a firm favourite too, often for his control of the lineout. Neither has suddenly become a poor or even an average player. On the contracts and transfers thread Lock was one of the few positions people didn’t regard as requiring significant rebuilding. Any problems were hardly spotted by the majority of pundits on here. The high regard they are held in by MOC is evidenced by their immediate return to the team when available. Sure the lineout ain’t functioning as it should, although it’s possible it’s already turned a corner. It can be worked out, it should be worked out, it must be worked out. (And there’s no clear evidence where the problem lies with that sfaik).
MOC has a job to do to sort this. It’s his job above all others and could be critical to his personal future. By all means bring in a Lawes or a Thorne type but that’s not happening anytime soon. It needs sorting and soon- with the resources we already have.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

G.K wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:48 pm The fact of the matter is that our current crop of second rowers is average at best and need to raise their game or ship out. Wells could be the best prospect at the moment as Kitch seems out of sorts and Barrow has not kicked on from his promising start at Tigers and I've long thought Fitz of just a journeyman here for a couple of years.
That is unfair on Barrow IMO, do people realise he and Wells are the same age, 24 years old, they are both a bit off what could realistically be considered their prime!
I know Sarries have found a couple of exceptions to the rule in Itoje and Isiekwe but even Kruis took a bit longer to develop into what he is now than those two.
If Barrow and Wells had an experienced big performer alongside it would help them immensely IMO, maybe Touhy could be that player for now but it's early days.
It is a shame that Slater is no longer here, no idea if it was a mistake to lose him or not, would anyone swap May back, but the younger locks certainly have been left to learn on the job with him gone and Fitzgerald injured and Kitchener apparently not performing as some seem to expect!
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

BFG wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:35 am
G.K wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:48 pm The fact of the matter is that our current crop of second rowers is average at best and need to raise their game or ship out. Wells could be the best prospect at the moment as Kitch seems out of sorts and Barrow has not kicked on from his promising start at Tigers and I've long thought Fitz of just a journeyman here for a couple of years.
That is unfair on Barrow IMO, do people realise he and Wells are the same age, 24 years old, they are both a bit off what could realistically be considered their prime!
Barrow just reminds me of a cross between Lurch and the banjo playing Red Neck in Deliverance. There's always a slightly confused look on his face.... "what? me Referee?"...
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

Roly wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:46 am
BFG wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:35 am
Barrow just reminds me of a cross between Lurch and the banjo playing Red Neck in Deliverance. There's always a slightly confused look on his face.... "what? me Referee?"...
What me referee! Often confused him and me both then!