Pre Season Fixtures

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Pre Season Fixtures

Post by RagingBull »

jgriffin wrote:1 Rhys Williams, David Williams, the locks,Crane, Gibson and Javier Pohe did not impress me. Sio, Bai and Croftie did! What was the matter with Gibson, he looked either out of sorts, unconcerned or way off fitness.
TBF on both Williams lads they have both just turned 18/19 (I believe), and I don't think they have been loaned to championship clubs yet ala Pohe, Catchpole and Purdy, so this game would have been up a level fromwhat they have played before.

Gibson maybe rust? considering how well he played all last season, that's a shame we will get more of a idea later on.

Pohe from the sounds of it wasn't looking for ay work shame and with players like Catchpole and Hepetema around his age and can play 12 he will need to buck up, as if that's the case he could be really down the pecking order.

Crane will always divide view imo he works best when it's a full first team (like end of last season)where he focuses on his job and provides nice snipes and offloads, unfortunately when it is a weaker squad he tends to try and take it on himself and goes down.

The locks don't know what to say imo Wells is more of a Mafi 6/Lock, Had Price looked like he put on some mass yet?

Great to hear Bai and Sio look good, sounds like Bai may well be a inspired signing esp when the internationals are gone. And with Sio we seem to have a huge amount of talented young props.

How was Croft's work rate, is he looking fresher than ever, if so brilliant news he has that X factor the pack missed last season imo.
GrahamWa

Post by GrahamWa »

Greetings Tiggers.

The Edinburgh v Leicester game is going to be streamed live on the Daily Record (Scottish Newspaper) website.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/rugb ... rs-4073322
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Crofty was a monster throughout the match and saved two certain breakaway tries. Not as quick as he used to be, needs sharpenng up, but still quick enough to run back and tackle wingers. :smt001
My comments about Pohe were based on his awareness, which seemed minimal. He is currently a route-one player, which to be fair Manu was early on. He squandered two try-scoring chances through hanging on when the were overlaps; not the worst squander though,the forwards keeping ball when a pass out would hit a 7-3 mismatch!!! :smt009
However my son commented on his unprepared stance, often static on his heels, didn't seem alert at times; son said at one point 'is he interested?'(son no fool, Welsh junior, Shoguns squad pre-collapse, currently RAF).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

jgriffin wrote:Crofty was a monster throughout the match and saved two certain breakaway tries. Not as quick as he used to be, needs sharpenng up, but still quick enough to run back and tackle wingers. :smt001
My comments about Pohe were based on his awareness, which seemed minimal. He is currently a route-one player, which to be fair Manu was early on. He squandered two try-scoring chances through hanging on when the were overlaps; not the worst squander though,the forwards keeping ball when a pass out would hit a 7-3 mismatch!!! :smt009
However my son commented on his unprepared stance, often static on his heels, didn't seem alert.
Great to hear.

Yeh Manu was a route one runner but he had enough speed to play wing fairly well at the time, Pohe hasn't come across as having that speed yet. And your the 3rd person to tell about Pohe not looking alert sounds like he had he had a hands on hips game

What was the view on the other young props and also Barieri?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Balmain was blowing in the warm-up :smt001 and continued to do so throughout. Still did fine.
All the props seemed fine, scrummaging very low but mostly got the heave on nicely. Pasquali has a right motor on him.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Excited about Pasquali. I think a few Italians were worried he will try and represent England due to being left out of the U20 WC.

The depth we have at prop with the youngster is brilliant.
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

GrahamWa wrote:Greetings Tiggers.

The Edinburgh v Leicester game is going to be streamed live on the Daily Record (Scottish Newspaper) website.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/rugb ... rs-4073322

Hi Graham, thanks for the heads-up. I would have loved to come up for the match but my mother-in-law is coming down from Scotland this weekend!

Double whammy :smt010