We have to keep Agulla- all threads merged

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: We have to keep Agulla- all threads merged

Post by jack »

If three quarters contract was offered I would say that was pretty good. He will surely be paid by Argentina?
Offer it again!! :smt005
Tigers - true Champions!
ABC Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ABC Tiger »

What I do not understand is we re-sign Cole AND Castro but not Agulla. Don't get me wrong they're two of our best players but between them they miss lots of games and even if you took one of them out of the squad we'd still be strong at prop. But we are losing two wingers (two of the best in the prem) and yet we dont re-sign Agulla. Potentially our player of the season and we don't re-sign him? I'd be more than happy to see Lewington or Morris (a winger we never use) start the season off for us untill Agulla gets back from Argentina duty.

Come on Cockers are you going to keep our best back this season?
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

It's really upsetting that we are letting him go and I hope Tigers do find a solution and change their mind.

However all international Argies are going to find it very tough to get a contract in the northern hemisphere whilst Argentina are playing in the new 4 Nations.

The best solution from their perspective would be to try and get a contract in The South, easier said than done though, presumably?

Maybe Horatio will be turning out for The Brumbies next season!
Soggypitch
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Soggypitch wrote:It's really upsetting that we are letting him go and I hope Tigers do find a solution and change their mind.

However all international Argies are going to find it very tough to get a contract in the northern hemisphere whilst Argentina are playing in the new 4 Nations.

The best solution from their perspective would be to try and get a contract in The South, easier said than done though, presumably?

Maybe Horatio will be turning out for The Brumbies next season!
I agree, surely it would make more sense for Argentinian players to play in the super 15. I would take Agulla everyday of the year and I think he is a world class player, but surely it would make more sense for Argentinians to play in the super 15 where all the other four nations players play. Who knows, maybe it will be super 17 in 10 years time with the Argentinian teams added.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

surely it would make more sense for Argentinian players to play in the super 15.
What will make most sense is for the board to make the deal to keep him here.
A life long Tiger
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

reply to Kend & Jack: I don't think any contract has been offered to Agulla as the club have stated on more than one occasion that they won't be offering him a contract due to his position with his countries commitments.

I for one would wish him to be able to stay as players like him are not easy to find whatever position they play.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
Tiger_Chief
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Tiger_Chief »

The guy even likes the "Keep Agulla at Tigers" facebook page.

Whilst Benjamin and Thompstone are good wingers, but the way Agulla has played this season is worth at least approaching with a contract with a view for long term.

I really have lost faith with some of our management.
All good 7's play on the edge if not they are a waste of space!!
simoscribbler
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by simoscribbler »

The other factor in Agulla's favour is that he also plays FB. And given his exemplary attitude and bravery on the pitch - combined with real skill - he does seem like a potential long-term replacement for GM. Who would play at 15 if GM gets injured next season?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

simoscribbler wrote:The other factor in Agulla's favour is that he also plays FB. And given his exemplary attitude and bravery on the pitch - combined with real skill - he does seem like a potential long-term replacement for GM. Who would play at 15 if GM gets injured next season?
Please don't laugh but it was widely stated that Tigers had signed Matt Tate to become the replacement for GM . Clearly this plan has been delayed or scuppered post his horrific injury problems.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
simoscribbler
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by simoscribbler »

sapajo wrote:
simoscribbler wrote:The other factor in Agulla's favour is that he also plays FB. And given his exemplary attitude and bravery on the pitch - combined with real skill - he does seem like a potential long-term replacement for GM. Who would play at 15 if GM gets injured next season?
Please don't laugh but it was widely stated that Tigers had signed Matt Tate to become the replacement for GM . Clearly this plan has been delayed or scuppered post his horrific injury problems.
Indeed it was, and I wish Tait all the best - but given this year's events I'm not sure I'd want to rely on him being fit. And can he tackle the way that GM and Agulla can? Either way, we do need another option at 15, and as I was typing my post I was wondering about Flood? It would be a shame to lose some of his superb distribution skills, but in most respects Flood looks like a terrific candidate for a counterattacking FB who knows isn't afraid to get in harm's way. If Ford turns out to be the player we hope he will Flood might be more value at 15 than 12?
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

To those of you that feel as I do and want the club to retain Agulla we
have to keep this thread active and at the top of the list.
Don't forget to vote for him as the player of the year and keep the pressure up.
Keep his name to the fore in all things.

KEEP AGULLA at LEICESTER!!!!http://forum.leicestertigers.com/#
A life long Tiger
ABC Tiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by ABC Tiger »

There is also a petition on Facebook as well as the page so get joining.

KEEP AGULLA AT TIGERS!
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

May I respectfully suggest if you're avid to keep him, I should try emailing, tweeting or writing to the club, draw their attention to the Facebook group and this thread. It is more likely to get noticed that way.
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
youngtiger
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by youngtiger »

Stop pretending like we can force players into different positions, Toby didn't even really work at 12 during the WC, let's not pretend that he'll suddenly become a 15 if we ask him to.

Agulla very rarely plays fullback, however he has covered centre on a few occasions this year and played fairly well, but more importantly, he covered very willingly. He's a true tiger and has bought completely into the ethos. I think losing not only his talent, which is very hard to find, but this attitude would be a poorly-judged loss. Unless they already have a guy lined up, who would need to be very good to seem an adequate replacement.
Crumblies
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Crumblies »

I too thought Mathew Tait was bought predominantly as a 15 to cover and eventually replace GM. I feel he is too lightweight and injury prone to play regularly at centre these days and would be wasted on the wing.

I remain hopeful that he will recover and turn out the star buy that we all long for. But then I do the lottery every week as well.

As for Aguilla I too hope that there is a change of heart and the necessary steps to keep him are taken. However sadly I think this may be another example of RC's stubborness, he had a 'strop' when Waldrom declared himself available for England and sadly someone else may be paying the price.