LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:38 am
Lutontiger wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 9:46 pm If so, I think we’ll regret losing Scott.
It’s as much his desire to move back north as anything
Think Scott was always slightly underrated. When we had him and Moroni, always thought he was the better attacking player, used to run some lovely lines. But now he’s 34, can’t blame him or the club from moving on.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - KANGAROO MCKELLER: Do you come from a land down under? (Squad thread pt 2)

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:40 am
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:46 pm https://twitter.com/ospreys/status/1775 ... xpT-A&s=19

Confirmed Cokansigna is off
Strange move on the face of it unless there is some Welsh ancestry in there.
Maybe another centre incoming or could be Woodward moving up. Has impressed whenever I’ve seen him
He's 5th choice centre here and so gets limited gametime, wants to move to play more to see if he can progress. I mean he probably has played more this year than we'd have expected him to due to Porter's concussion.

Can't see many prem teams he'd get many minutes at, so URC team with a smaller budget where he may be a 3rd choice centre may be exactly what he needs. Regular gametime gives him a chance to progress and then maybe force his way back in the reckoning.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

On Scott I've seen conflicting rumours that we chose not to offer a deal, so he decided to move back to Scotland & if he could get a contract there he'd play & if he couldn't he'd just crack on with his career & the one on the last page where he decided to move back first.

If it was the first case I hope that decision was solely made on the coaches decision regarding his ability, for me his age doesn't matter as I haven't seen any decline in performances, I do wonder why so many posters mention it when we have had several players much older contribute so much to our recent success (Cole, Wigglesworth, Ashton, Nadolo was the age Scott will be next season in 2021/22, plus the more recent contributions of the even older Brown).

He's at that age where he could easily play on for 3 more years, or be mentally at the point that he just wants to commit to 3 more months only. If he has not been offered a contract it will come out in an interview sometime in the future I'd guess.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

It may be me but there does seem to be a consensus on this forum of mourning the moving on of players, in this instance Scott, formerly Moroni, did he ever play as well again after he left Tigers, rather than looking forward to players arriving, or the talent that is still at the club
SASCOkid
Tiger Cub

Post by SASCOkid »

Very disappointed to lose Phil. I thought he showed great promise. Maybe his face didn't fit with McKellar.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

sk 88 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:34 am On Scott I've seen conflicting rumours that we chose not to offer a deal, so he decided to move back to Scotland & if he could get a contract there he'd play & if he couldn't he'd just crack on with his career & the one on the last page where he decided to move back first.

If it was the first case I hope that decision was solely made on the coaches decision regarding his ability, for me his age doesn't matter as I haven't seen any decline in performances, I do wonder why so many posters mention it when we have had several players much older contribute so much to our recent success (Cole, Wigglesworth, Ashton, Nadolo was the age Scott will be next season in 2021/22, plus the more recent contributions of the even older Brown).

He's at that age where he could easily play on for 3 more years, or be mentally at the point that he just wants to commit to 3 more months only. If he has not been offered a contract it will come out in an interview sometime in the future I'd guess.
I've lived in Edinburgh just over 10 years now, had a season ticket for many years before work intervened. For what it's worth I heard Scott was wanting to move back home already for personal reasons and contact with Edinburgh came after that.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

SASCOkid wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:43 am Very disappointed to lose Phil. I thought he showed great promise. Maybe his face didn't fit with McKellar.
Should of been showing more than promise, should of been pushing for a starting spot
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

I would guess the Toby Booth connection might have had a bearing on a move to the Ospreys, plus there is a George North hole that needs filling there. Like OHC not sure moving from LI style rugby to Tigers's has been easy or possibly pleasurable.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
CrumblingTerrace
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Pre-Ealing, there wasn't much to suggest Phil C could earn another contract. But he's been in good form the past few weeks and has been arguably our best centre.

He has the natural ability to do things that players like Porter and Scott never could, but I guess with Kata and Perese signed on for next year we perhaps need a different kind of centre.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:11 am I would guess the Toby Booth connection might have had a bearing on a move to the Ospreys, plus there is a George North hole that needs filling there. Like OHC not sure moving from LI style rugby to Tigers's has been easy or possibly pleasurable.
But they knew which club they were signing for and how that club played. OHC is doing ok imo
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:21 am
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:11 am I would guess the Toby Booth connection might have had a bearing on a move to the Ospreys, plus there is a George North hole that needs filling there. Like OHC not sure moving from LI style rugby to Tigers's has been easy or possibly pleasurable.
But they knew which club they were signing for and how that club played. OHC is doing ok imo
I agree RG. OHC has also developed his kick chase and defence imo since joining us. Yes he hasn’t had as much attacking space to show what he can do (criminal if you ask me!) and that won’t get him the headlines he did at Irish, but he’s becoming a more rounded player I believe. If we can get our attack sorted (broken record player I know!) then I think OHC and others can show their attacking skills again.

Next season is almost a clear slate in the attack/backs play regards.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RunTigerRun wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:27 am
I agree RG. OHC has also developed his kick chase and defence imo since joining us. Yes he hasn’t had as much attacking space to show what he can do (criminal if you ask me!) and that won’t get him the headlines he did at Irish, but he’s becoming a more rounded player I believe. If we can get our attack sorted (broken record player I know!) then I think OHC and others can show their attacking skills again.

Next season is almost a clear slate in the attack/backs play regards.
Totally agree and he has shown in patches what he can do, against Gloucester and Quins. The issues with him are the same as for the whole back line imo. Lack of an attack coach, lack of consistency in selection for a number of reasons, and others will disagree, playing of Kata at 12 and the style of play that dictates, which imo for the style that Mckellar is wanting to play is why he would be more effective on the wing where he has played test rugby
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

Even if you know, you presume you can/will adapt.
OHC looked like our best threat v Leinster, we just can't /won't get him the right sort of ball enough.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

https://all.rugby/player/ollie-hassell-collins

His strike rate at Tigers is 0.4 per game, which is the same as his last season at Irish & his career average overall.

I think he's going well and enjoying it as much as anyone. We got him the ball a lot v Quins too, though definitely struggled in the two games v Gloucester. As a winger it's obvious he'd have the worst of our at best sub par attack, but he's still getting on the end of a lot of scores.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

sk 88 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:14 am https://all.rugby/player/ollie-hassell-collins

His strike rate at Tigers is 0.4 per game, which is the same as his last season at Irish & his career average overall.

I think he's going well and enjoying it as much as anyone. We got him the ball a lot v Quins too, though definitely struggled in the two games v Gloucester. As a winger it's obvious he'd have the worst of our at best sub par attack, but he's still getting on the end of a lot of scores.
Good point on the strike rate SK. Just shows if he got more chances he’d be potent! Whilst it’s disappointing now, the potential is vast there!