Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers post Borthwick - next Head Coach?

Post by sapajo »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:21 pm
sapajo wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:03 pm
jgriffin wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:58 pm I'm still angry.
I'm still in shock that Sir Kev has gone without a whimper and grieving for the loss of Borthwick.

To play devil's advocate is it wrong and should the RFU be blamed to extend job offers to Borthwick and Sinfield?

In the same vein was it wrong and should Borthwick and Sinfield be blamed for accepting
the RFU job offers?

Was it wrong and should the club be blamed for letting them both go?

So who wins the blame game?
Why does their have to be blame? They have done a wonderful job here but are two proud Englishmen and their country came calling (no doubt offering substantial pay rises at the same time). It's was dealt with amicably by all parties.
Read what ai posted I did not say there has to be blame I was merely addressing the fact that some posters have placed blame primarily at the RFU when the reality is its multi faceted
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:21 pm
I'm still in shock that Sir Kev has gone without a whimper and grieving for the loss of Borthwick.

To play devil's advocate is it wrong and should the RFU be blamed to extend job offers to Borthwick and Sinfield?

In the same vein was it wrong and should Borthwick and Sinfield be blamed for accepting
the RFU job offers?

Why does their have to be blame? They have done a wonderful job here but are two proud Englishmen and their country came calling (no doubt offering substantial pay rises at the same time). It's was dealt with amicably by all parties.
Exactly! It’s getting tiresome now tbh
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

Indeed. Good luck to all parties. Looking forward to Tigers vs Gloucester and to England vs Scotland.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Well.......it could be like a ill judged game of jenga! Take a couple of key bricks out and it all topples. I wonder how many of the current squad were bought here by Borthwick and would wander now that influence has gone? Plus the South African influence is allegedly trying to drag Hanro and Jesper back home?

A depressing house of cards.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Big Dai wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:14 pm Well.......it could be like a ill judged game of jenga! Take a couple of key bricks out and it all topples. I wonder how many of the current squad were bought here by Borthwick and would wander now that influence has gone? Plus the South African influence is allegedly trying to drag Hanro and Jesper back home?

Thought most of them were tied up to new contracts? 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:21 pm
Big Dai wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:14 pm Well.......it could be like a ill judged game of jenga! Take a couple of key bricks out and it all topples. I wonder how many of the current squad were bought here by Borthwick and would wander now that influence has gone? Plus the South African influence is allegedly trying to drag Hanro and Jesper back home?

Thought most of them were tied up to new contracts? 🤔
All good contracts must come to an end........we're doomed ah tell ye! .......doooooomed!
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

the RFU job offers?

No issue with RFU offering Borthwick or Sinfield jobs.

No issue with Borthwick or Sinfield accepting

No issue with the club letting them leave.

I do have an issue with the RFU doing it the way they have. In my opinion, Borthwick and Sinfield had to accept, otherwise they were likely to lose the opportunity altogether. The same reason the club had to let them go.

The RFU however didn’t have to sack Jones this far in to a cycle. Jones was always focussed on the World Cup, they knew that and should have had the balls to see it through. Otherwise he should have gone long before. For me, the RFU take all of the blame.

EDIT - and to extend that further, I’m happy to be proven wrong on this, but I’m not even sure RFU have picked the right man for the job at this point.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

anz3001 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:50 pm

the RFU job offers?

No issue with RFU offering Borthwick or Sinfield jobs.

No issue with Borthwick or Sinfield accepting

No issue with the club letting them leave.

I do have an issue with the RFU doing it the way they have. In my opinion, Borthwick and Sinfield had to accept, otherwise they were likely to lose the opportunity altogether. The same reason the club had to let them go.

The RFU however didn’t have to sack Jones this far in to a cycle. Jones was always focussed on the World Cup, they knew that and should have had the balls to see it through. Otherwise he should have gone long before. For me, the RFU take all of the blame.

EDIT - and to extend that further, I’m happy to be proven wrong on this, but I’m not even sure RFU have picked the right man for the job at this point.
Agree with your last point entirely (all of them in fact). But I hope I’m wrong too!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

[/quote]

Soooooooo I believe your opinion is similar to mine. The RFU have not only mucked England up, twice, but also thrown a considerable large sized spanner into the works of one of its key feeder clubs......hmmmm.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I read a comment quoting Genge "there's no loyalty in rugby any more".

Hold on a minute, loyalty has to work both ways. Borthwick has done an incredible job for Tigers, changing the club beyond all recognition, likely working insane hours, turning down a Lions job, and now one of the biggest jobs in his profession is offered to him... I think it would be a disappointing lack of loyalty from us towards him if we had tried to stop him from taking it!

His commitment and professionalism over the 2.5 years have been frankly ridiculous. He's earned the right to move on upwards with his head held high and respect from all of us. As has Kevin Sinfield.

I do worry for SB a little at England... if he plays the same style as at Tigers then he'll need to win almost every match to avoid some pretty vicious criticism from the press, but I'm certainly not writing him off either.

Thanks for everything, Steve, we were lucky to have you and I hate to think where we'd be right now I'd you hadn't come along. Good luck with the England job.

Oh, and I'm not worried about Tigers, because what SB achieved at the club wasn't about him and his individual genius, it was about a strong team with a strong culture and I've no doubt that will continue under WW. I'd bet that SB's legacy at Tigers will still be evident long after he's gone.
Last edited by Tiglon on Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrumblingTerrace
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

anz3001 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:50 pm No issue with Borthwick or Sinfield accepting
I don't begrudge them the opportunity. They've earned it. But it leaves a sour taste in the mouth, for me. They didn't have to accept now. It wasn't inevitable. We know the RFU had them lined up for the end of the season anyway.

Borthwick and Sinfield committed to our club until the end of this season. They could have said to the RFU, 'Thank you, but let's stick to our original plan of doing this at the end of the year. We want to honour what we signed our names to at Leicester.'
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:10 pm I read a comment quoting Genge "there's no loyalty in rugby any more".

Hold on a minute, loyalty has to work both ways. Borthwick has done an incredible job for Tigers, changing the club beyond all recognition, likely working insane hours, turning down a Lions job, and now one of the biggest jobs in his profession is offered to him... I think it would be a disappointing lack of loyalty from us towards him if we had tried to stop him from taking it!

Is commitment and prifessionalism over the 2.5 years have been frankly ridiculous. He's earned the right to move on upwards with his head held high and respect from all of us. As has Kevin Sinfield.

I do worry for SB a little at England... if he plays the same style as at Tigers then he'll need to win almost every match to avoid some pretty vicious criticism from the press, but I'm certainly not writing him off either.

Thanks for everything, Steve, we were lucky to have you and I hate to think where we'd be right now I'd you hadn't come along. Good luck with the England job.

Oh, and I'm not worried about Tigers, because what SB achieved at the club wasn't about him and his individual genius, it was about a strong team with a strong culture and I've no doubt that will continue under WW. I'd bet that SB's legacy at Tigers will still be evident long after he's gone.
I’m a bit twixt and between with this. I do agree that Steve may not be the right man for the job, but also feel that as others have said that there is only moderate tweaking required in terms of both tactics and personnel for England to be successful. We shall just have to wait and see.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I'm not angry. People have asperations and nobody should stand in the way when opportunities come up.

I'm just gutted we've got to start all over again....again....
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I am livid with RFU. Their timing is atrocious, and I would go so far as to say, morally criminal, Eddie Jones should have been retained until after the World Cup. They have taken out top two coaches mid way through the seaon. and really do not seem to care about the affect on our club for the remainder of the season.

Yes indeed, I am furious with them.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Entirely to be expected emotional response from many Tigers supporters. As I said in an earlier post, nothing wrong with that on here as for us it's all about emotion/heart. For coaches and management it's more head than heart. I expect that from professionals. This does not mean I have to be happy with all their decisions.
I'll be in the crowd Saturday for the first time in a long time (absence due to poor health which is now improved) and I will be supporting whoever happens to be wearing Tigers colours on the pitch and whoever is coaching from the stands.