Next up London Irish - home - 5th March 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Re: Next up London Irish - home - 5th March 2021

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:26 am I wonder what the reaction in the stadium would have been to that result and performance ? If it was a full house, under the lights etc ? Some short memories here clearly after performances in the last few years where we were clueless and rudderless. Now we have structure, fight and a purpose. We are improving and have a long way to go, but the world we live it wants instant success, so I think some are finding it hard that we’re winning, but not by enough !! Just to mention it might be 2 or 3 years before we make a serious Top 4 challenge and if you can’t wait for that then it’s not going to help you. Borthwick has made that clear from the start. I’m happy.
This forum mirrors social media, there’s no real place for a measured view, I mean, it’s not exciting enough is it.
My thoughts exactly
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:36 am
westwinds31 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:26 am I wonder what the reaction in the stadium would have been to that result and performance ? If it was a full house, under the lights etc ? Some short memories here clearly after performances in the last few years where we were clueless and rudderless. Now we have structure, fight and a purpose. We are improving and have a long way to go, but the world we live it wants instant success, so I think some are finding it hard that we’re winning, but not by enough !! Just to mention it might be 2 or 3 years before we make a serious Top 4 challenge and if you can’t wait for that then it’s not going to help you. Borthwick has made that clear from the start. I’m happy.
This forum mirrors social media, there’s no real place for a measured view, I mean, it’s not exciting enough is it.
My thoughts exactly
You are clearly not Scott, Dokie, Wayne etc. Some of us are pleased indeed that we have turned a corner back into one of those nasty, gnarly teams associated with a couple of past coaches, and with so much homegrown talent. :smt041
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
CrumblingTerrace
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

I think the challenge for many fans is that we were spoilt with success for a very long time. The Heineken Cups, then the Premiership titles, all those playoff finals. A grand stadium, the biggest fan base.

That created a mentality. We're here to win. Second is failure.

That mentality didn't change, even when the team we were watching couldn't live up to it. It just became more exasperating (e.g. "How did we just lose 0-43 at home to Glasgow!?). It created dissonance. Our heart said we were winners, our head said we were losers.
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The Gnarly team isn't what all of us think of as Tigers "DNA", some people forget that.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:53 am The Gnarly team isn't what all of us think of as Tigers "DNA", some people forget that.
Good point this, but it’s the way we’re going to play, certainly in the short term. If it breeds a confidence and brings on some youth I’m behind it. I’ll be interested to see what the squad looks like this time next season, as Borthwick will clearly like some players but some who are involved now won’t make the cut.
Last edited by westwinds31 on Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

With a full stadium yesterday I see us getting the BP and Irish getting nothing...
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I enjoyed watching that match! Some very good rugby - from both sides, some mistakes, but above all, a sure sign that Tigers are on the up and are improving!
Semper in excretia
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Irish down a man, went for it and threw everything at us and we succumbed to the pressure. Disappointing, but every one of these slipups teaches us a lesson.
Winning is great, obviously what we want, but we don't want to get ahead of ourselves and start believing were better than we are. Being disappointed with a win is probably a really good place for the team at the moment.

I agree that with a crowd, we close that game out and at the least they go home with nothing.

Defence is generally good and getting better, we are scoring tries, bonus points will start to come as we get a few players back.

As someone on here once said "KEEP THE FAITH"!!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

A wins a win so got to be happy with that. LI have been in good form and were able to name a strong side. We were missing half the first team including many of our more meaty ball carriers.

My only real annoyance was the lineout after LI were given the team warning in the second half. Why on earth try to be clever and run a high risk move on the front of the lineout? Utter stupidity. Just maul the thing, LI had gone backwards on the last few and couldn't bring it down again or we'd be playing Vs 13. Don't complicate it just apply the pressure, might have even convinced Mr Barnes to go penalty try.

First half we weren't up to much but in the second half we were completely dominant. To fold and let them in at the end was disappointing especially the second try which was just poor organisation in defence. Green never got near their lineout and needed Chessum to come on in order to get ours working. As an aside a very good display from the young man again, took his try nicely as well.

Plenty of good to take out that game including some better attacking play. Hopefully we can improve again next week and put Glaws to the sword who aren't as bad as their league position might suggest.
Scuttle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Scuttle »

TA30 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:03 am Cracking squad effort against a team with top 4 aspirations. I can enjoy my weekend, plenty of mistakes and points begging but so much fight, with the local lads at the heart of it. lots of rugby still to play this season and we are getting better with every game.
I agree. I think we were the better team for most of the match, and after a flakey first 15 mins grew into the dominant team. Decision making not as sharp as we would like in the last 15 mins which led to LI getting more from the game than they otherwise might. Both our performances and points tally (pro-rata) are better than last season and having the win in the bag by Saturday is always a good feeling. Given how LI have done against other, higher placed, teams in recent weeks and the fact they were at pretty much full strength compared to our many absentees, I was thinking before the game that this was one we could lose if we didn’t put in a good performance; we did, we won, progress.
As Good As It Gets
Rob18C
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Rob18C »

I’m struggling to understand some of this negativity.

Before the game started we were hoping for a win, Irish are way better than they used to be and we are still developing. Yes home to Irish should be a win but I think it would have been unrealistic to say we were targeting a 5-0 in terms of points.

As the game played out, we were the better team after the first 15, but we had given them a 7-0 head start. So to regroup after that start is very promising. I think it would have flattered us a bit had we got a try bonus point and they got nothing. But it was disappointing that we let them score 2 late tries whilst we got 2 late yellows. But the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Again we have seen that our squad has improved considerably with all the players missing last night. Another impressive display from Moroni and it was only a few weeks ago people were saying that he hadn’t showed what he can do. He is exactly what we needed as we have been leaking tries from the 13 channel for a couple of years.

The 2 backs tries we scored as well were very impressive

All in all a good performance considering the circumstances with players missing and it just shows we continue to progress under borthwick and the future is certainly bright in my opinion!
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Last year we got 29 points total. This year we have 28 already. And yes I know some of those points have been ‘awarded’. That, to me, is progress. End of.

....oh and when or if we manage to keep 15 on the pitch for the whole 80.....
TheTigerKing
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TheTigerKing »

We are much, much improved.

We have fight and spirit and actually look to have pretty much two very solid XVs

Yes, we still need a bit more polish and a bit more attacking flair but things are much better than they have been in a long time.

Moroni is looking a fantastic player. When we have the internationals back we have what is becoming a brutish pack and some real talent in the backs.

Looking forward to the likes of Young, Ford, Moroni and Nadolo getting some settled time playing together.
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

A win is a win and it was encouraging in many ways.
It's a decent watch when contrasting styles meet.
I thought the cards were fair enough, second tacklers need to be more careful.
Scrums were sometimes a mess and seemed incapable of staying up.
After the set I always thought that, each hookers feet must be in line with or behind the foremost foot of that teams props, which often didn't happen.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

I was hoping Porter might have given the watching Eddie Jones some food for thought, never mind. Maybe if he had been running those lines at the tail of the lineout instead of Scott...

As for the negativity on the forum? Plus ça change.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni