Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: Not a new kit Launch.... Tigers Together membership

Post by johnthegriff »

If it is not aimed a season ticket holders why are they emailing season
Ticket holders with personal messages from.p!ayers.
I have not said I want anything, I have epressed a concern over what this might come to mean. When I first became a member of Leicester Football Club the membership entitled you to watch games drink in the bars and if you had the talent play for a team, it did not give you the right to sit in a certain seat. As the game went professional we the members became season ticket holders and sat in a specific seat or stood on the terrace. The seat price varied with the perceived better seats but no matter the price paid we were all.members. There was a scheme for people that wanted to belong but we're not able to regularly attend called membership. Now we have this new membership, different perks dependent on the price paid and people are encouraged to.purchase membership.on top of the season ticket, the implication to me is that after several decades I am no longer a member I am just a season ticket holder and as I have said I do have concerns over what that will mean in the future.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Doghashadhisday wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 5:46 pm Why do you say Socios is rubbish?
Because I don't like the pretend "investment" model it's marketed with, or at least was.

I prefer sponsorship deals where the club don't need to provide and FAQ and explanation the week after the deal is launched. By the time Socios arrived at Welford Road, it already had a stinking reputation in football.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

The reality is that the club needs money. The cracks were papered over last year by the payments received for Steve and his team. This year we will not have that, we have less TV money coming in, the deal for European matches has not been agreed and so further potential loss there, the operating costs have been cut right back, the salary gap has gone up and so we need funding from somewhere. With all that in mind, you have to think that we need to find another, what, £3 million to break even at a guess.

There is not a bottomless pit of sponsors or investors and so there needs to be new ideas.

In this case, the club is wisely trying to tap in to the more distant supporter who cannot make it often, if at all, but wants to support the club. Great idea. You have to offer something for the money or you may as well start a go fund me page and so the offers put forward seem pretty fair and equitable. I find it tough to understand that people would be against that because they feel that they should be getting all of those benefits if someone else has them. Bear in mind that some of these people will be paying more than the cost of a season ticket to help the club without, and this is important, GETTING TO SEE ANY MATCHES LIKE SEASON TICKET HOLDERS DO. They are basically just helping to fund the club with what is really very little return. I cannot believe that people would object to that and to people helping fund the club for very little return simply because it may mean that they cannot take their other half to a big match every now and again, irrespective of how often they may have been to the qualifying matches.

Yes we can all harp on about the halcyon days when the season ticket holder was king but those were days, and, again, this is important, when we did not have a massive player wage bill to finance. Days when we just needed to make enough to keep the ground running, days when we did not have to worry about TV deals as there was nothing aside from rugby special and the odd match on Grandstand.

Times have changed and the club needs money. The club has done well in finding sponsors and revenue streams and I am one who is happy that they have come up with another idea. In fact, as I do not get to attend many matches, I will probably sign up this weekend.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

johnthegriff wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 10:43 pm If it is not aimed a season ticket holders why are they emailing season
Ticket holders with personal messages from.p!ayers.
I have not said I want anything, I have epressed a concern over what this might come to mean. When I first became a member of Leicester Football Club the membership entitled you to watch games drink in the bars and if you had the talent play for a team, it did not give you the right to sit in a certain seat. As the game went professional we the members became season ticket holders and sat in a specific seat or stood on the terrace. The seat price varied with the perceived better seats but no matter the price paid we were all.members. There was a scheme for people that wanted to belong but we're not able to regularly attend called membership. Now we have this new membership, different perks dependent on the price paid and people are encouraged to.purchase membership.on top of the season ticket, the implication to me is that after several decades I am no longer a member I am just a season ticket holder and as I have said I do have concerns over what that will mean in the future.
So you are saying that since you first came to the club things have moved on and options have changed and with what you get for your money. But then you are complaining that hypothetically things may move in a direction you don’t want.
Can’t have it both ways John it’s called progress and the club needs to find ways to thrive and survive.

This may upset a few but this smacks of being the same as another long term supporter who said Tigers is only in your blood if you attend all games home and away
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

GB72 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:36 am The reality is that the club needs money. The cracks were papered over last year by the payments received for Steve and his team. This year we will not have that, we have less TV money coming in, the deal for European matches has not been agreed and so further potential loss there, the operating costs have been cut right back, the salary gap has gone up and so we need funding from somewhere. With all that in mind, you have to think that we need to find another, what, £3 million to break even at a guess.

There is not a bottomless pit of sponsors or investors and so there needs to be new ideas.

In this case, the club is wisely trying to tap in to the more distant supporter who cannot make it often, if at all, but wants to support the club. Great idea. You have to offer something for the money or you may as well start a go fund me page and so the offers put forward seem pretty fair and equitable. I find it tough to understand that people would be against that because they feel that they should be getting all of those benefits if someone else has them. Bear in mind that some of these people will be paying more than the cost of a season ticket to help the club without, and this is important, GETTING TO SEE ANY MATCHES LIKE SEASON TICKET HOLDERS DO. They are basically just helping to fund the club with what is really very little return. I cannot believe that people would object to that and to people helping fund the club for very little return simply because it may mean that they cannot take their other half to a big match every now and again, irrespective of how often they may have been to the qualifying matches.

Yes we can all harp on about the halcyon days when the season ticket holder was king but those were days, and, again, this is important, when we did not have a massive player wage bill to finance. Days when we just needed to make enough to keep the ground running, days when we did not have to worry about TV deals as there was nothing aside from rugby special and the odd match on Grandstand.

Times have changed and the club needs money. The club has done well in finding sponsors and revenue streams and I am one who is happy that they have come up with another idea. In fact, as I do not get to attend many matches, I will probably sign up this weekend.
This post is far too sensible and logical for some on here and god knows what reaction you would get if you posted it on the unoffy site as they are convinced that the club is in crisis and that the sole purpose of Tigers is to exploit the supporters at every opportunity .
A2O
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Things have moved on in the world as a whole since I first joined Tigers, many of the changes have been for the better but not all. As I have said I have concerns and have expressed them, I really hope they are unfounded, I really hope our team puts the club in a position where we will discover just how a limited number of tickets will be distributed, only time will tell.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

ay2oh wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:48 am
GB72 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 9:36 am The reality is that the club needs money. The cracks were papered over last year by the payments received for Steve and his team. This year we will not have that, we have less TV money coming in, the deal for European matches has not been agreed and so further potential loss there, the operating costs have been cut right back, the salary gap has gone up and so we need funding from somewhere. With all that in mind, you have to think that we need to find another, what, £3 million to break even at a guess.

This post is far too sensible and logical for some on here and god knows what reaction you would get if you posted it on the unoffy site as they are convinced that the club is in crisis and that the sole purpose of Tigers is to exploit the supporters at every opportunity .
This always confuses me, club is skint, we need more money coming in and our only real source of additional revenue is from our supporters and yet there is uproar when the club come up with an idea, with benefits, to make money. Actually, this idea is one that looks to make money from non match going supporters and yet that is wrong as well.

I do feel that that the club is in a bit more financial peril than is being let on (but i think most clubs are in that position) but it does not help when people act as though we have a bottomless pit of money or demand top name signing with no idea how we are going to pay for them.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Ultimately is just tapping into all available potential revenue streams.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I think the point about the club being in financial peril is well made, but again if we are I would imagine all English clubs are in similar straits, even sugar daddys don’t have bottomless pockets
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:36 am I think the point about the club being in financial peril is well made, but again if we are I would imagine all English clubs are in similar straits, even sugar daddys don’t have bottomless pockets
Very true.

And as the late Tony O'Reilly found, that money can disappear very quickly.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

People do seem to be missing my point, I have expressed concerns about the future. I applaud the club for seeking new revenue streams. I take issue with those that say this is a plan to bring payments from fans who are unable to attend matches. In the main it is a plan to obtain yet more money from season ticket holders that is why they are targeting season ticket holders with e-mails and phone calls from.p!ayers to.promote this plan.
We do need funds to.pay up to the salary cap, it used to be achieved by actually playing matches on a regular basis so people got into the habit of watching rugby.. Season ticket holders get much less for their money than they did a few years back despite paying much more, our club is one that is in agreement with the reduced ring fenced league which in my opinion makes the season ticket less attractive. This new scheme may offer an alternative to the season ticket, I presume that is why it was announced after the majority had renewed for next season. It will be around this time next year when we will see the true benefits or otherwise of the various changes. Fans are not bottomless moneypits they do want value for money and they do want rugby matches to watch.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

And those season ticket holders have the simple option of saying no
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

johnthegriff wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:50 am People do seem to be missing my point, I have expressed concerns about the future. I applaud the club for seeking new revenue streams. I take issue with those that say this is a plan to bring payments from fans who are unable to attend matches. In the main it is a plan to obtain yet more money from season ticket holders that is why they are targeting season ticket holders with e-mails and phone calls from.p!ayers to.promote this plan.
We do need funds to.pay up to the salary cap, it used to be achieved by actually playing matches on a regular basis so people got into the habit of watching rugby.. Season ticket holders get much less for their money than they did a few years back despite paying much more, our club is one that is in agreement with the reduced ring fenced league which in my opinion makes the season ticket less attractive. This new scheme may offer an alternative to the season ticket, I presume that is why it was announced after the majority had renewed for next season. It will be around this time next year when we will see the true benefits or otherwise of the various changes. Fans are not bottomless moneypits they do want value for money and they do want rugby matches to watch.
I may be wrong but I am sure that I have heard Andrea say on a number of occasions that the club was against the 10 team league so that may be a position that is imposed on us.

I agree that fans are not bottomless money pits and that is why there are various options that fans can choose from.

As I said before though, if the club needs money, and I have this feeling that we need it a lot more that is being let on, then who do we approach. We are doing what we can to attract more fans but really the only people that we can market to are the supporters. Now they can say yes or no to any of this but if the club needs funding, the only place that it can look to try and sell to is the fan base.

I note that you have expressed concerns about the future but to me, any concern is secondary to the concern about whether there will actually be professional rugby in the future and whether there will be professional Tigers team. If we do not get more money coming in, both are in doubt.
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

If things are that bad why do we also take every opportunity to say we're going to spend the full salary cap?

Things should be addressed on their merits. For season ticket holders this offers limited benefits over a season ticket alone (a new shirt worth c.£75, for the middle level members a women's ticket worth either £36 or £48 depending on your current status as a women's ticket holder & 10% off next year's ticket so £30 to £50 for most). So if you were going to buy the shirt anyway it's an extra £70 to £100ish extra depending.

So not much, but not much in return.

One FAQ I can't find answered is what happens if I "subscribe" for a month, get my shirt for effectively £14 or so, then cancel the subscription?
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

sk 88 wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 11:16 am If things are that bad why do we also take every opportunity to say we're going to spend the full salary cap?

Things should be addressed on their merits. For season ticket holders this offers limited benefits over a season ticket alone (a new shirt worth c.£75, for the middle level members a women's ticket worth either £36 or £48 depending on your current status as a women's ticket holder & 10% off next year's ticket so £30 to £50 for most). So if you were going to buy the shirt anyway it's an extra £70 to £100ish extra depending.

So not much, but not much in return.

One FAQ I can't find answered is what happens if I "subscribe" for a month, get my shirt for effectively £14 or so, then cancel the subscription?
I can only remember (again I could be totally mistaken) one or two interviews around the same time when we said that we would spend up to the cap. Since then the TV revenue has done down, we are still in the dark about any TV deal for European matches, we are still in the dark about England player release payments and hybrid contracts. Basically much of our revenue since those confident statements has either been reduced or remains unknown.

The higher echelons of the club have been very quiet recently and certainly have not been in the media, both mainstream and social. I suspect that many of the statements made are having to be re-evaluated.