Post by KiwiTig »

Totally agree with you on that WRFC … time will tell
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: World Cup Squad Announcements

Post by LE18 »

markharbtiger wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:57 pm
TigerCam wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 12:15 pm Don't understand why Mitchell isn't one of the 9's. I get the experience thing at this level but he was electric last season for Saints, worked on his fitness so he wasn't blowing after 30 mins. I would put him above Ben and Danny.
I won't comment on Mitchell. But no backs at all from Saints seems strange, as that is where that team is strong.
Saints backs play too much for themselves, don't pass the ball and suffer from white line fever, poor defenders also.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Farrell named as World Cup captain with Genge and Lawes vice captains
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:23 pm Farrell named as World Cup captain with Genge and Lawes vice captains
Captain Farrell? Oh dear. The odds of England winning the World Cup have lengthened even more.
Semper in excretia
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Robespierre wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:29 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:23 pm Farrell named as World Cup captain with Genge and Lawes vice captains
Captain Farrell? Oh dear. The odds of England winning the World Cup have lengthened even more.
Wasn’t really ever going to be anyone else. As much as many fans dislike him it seems his fellow players admire his professionalism and single mindedness. He is also Englands best 10 for Borthwicks likely game plan
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So Farrell a guaranteed starter then,at 10 or 12. Great,can’t wait!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:36 pm
Wasn’t really ever going to be anyone else. As much as many fans dislike him it seems his fellow players admire his professionalism and single mindedness. He is also Englands best 10 for Borthwicks likely game plan
Disagree. Ford would be. There’s no better 10 in world rugby for Borths gameplan
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:58 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:36 pm

Disagree. Ford would be. There’s no better 10 in world rugby for Borths gameplan
I would’ve thought Ford would be SB’s first choice fly half, after Tigers’ title win two years ago. I accept that Farrell was a good Saracens’ fly half, but will that form be replicated in an England jersey? I doubt it. But the snag is that if he’s captain, he’ll undoubtedly be in the team - at 12? We’ve been down that road before, haven’t we?
Semper in excretia
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Can captains also be subs?!

Surely Fazlet should be nowhere near the first 15.

Then again, good for Tigers. Englands chances of getting out of the pool have just gone down.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Pellsey wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:52 pm Can captains also be subs?!

Surely Fazlet should be nowhere near the first 15.

Then again, good for Tigers. Englands chances of getting out of the pool have just gone down.
I'd be amazed of Ford and Farrell don't start 10/12
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Mercer clearly hasn’t impressed in camp.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I think camp was totally irrelevant and a facade …Borthwick is black and white and had made his mind up months ago and rightly or wrongly will drive his philosophy to the end…JVP over Mitchell is for example inexplicable for me …but Borthwick must see something I can’t in JVP, Cole, May Munipola and Youngs et al at this level and at this stage of their careers ?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

KiwiTig wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 1:22 am I think camp was totally irrelevant and a facade …Borthwick is black and white and had made his mind up months ago and rightly or wrongly will drive his philosophy to the end…JVP over Mitchell is for example inexplicable for me …but Borthwick must see something I can’t in JVP, Cole, May Munipola and Youngs et al at this level and at this stage of their careers ?
I don't think that is how Borthwick operates. You look at the squad and Pearson and VRR who were no where near the squad in the 6N are now in. Marler has return as has May. No Mako as well. He's not just staying loyal to his 6N squad.

Mitchell was picked ahead of Youngs in the 6N as the bench option. He didn't really impress there, looking as likely to cost us a try as create us one. Care is the odd choice for me, I'd have liked to see us take a look at Gus Warr as well.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Not very exciting is it? Looks like it's gonna be a same old same old golden oldie squad by the looks of it. Shame really
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 7:59 am Not very exciting is it? Looks like it's gonna be a same old same old golden oldie squad by the looks of it. Shame really
Guess the coaching team must be more interested in winning than excitement...
But I am surprised that others are so surprised. Make a very late change to the complete coaching team relative to the World Cup, and people can't understand why Borthwick goes for experience and familiarity