Players Out Of Contract

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: Players Out Of Contract

Post by sapajo »

Very positive news over Salvi and possibly Ford?

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/J ... story.html
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
kpb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kpb »

Excellent news!!
POSITIVE MENTAL ATTITUDE.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

read is this morning and was quite heartened. I think the last few games may have been bit of a reality check to fordy too - great POTENTIAL star but not there yet... hopefully Parling will stay too...
cheers
Rich
Farmboy

Post by Farmboy »

Can't remember anyone mentioning that Tait is out of contract at the end of the season.I get the impression that he feels as if he owes the club something for how he has been treated the last 2 years
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Anyone see the varsity game last week? Oxford have a superb 15 who switched to 9 in the second half.
He was absolutely outstanding.Best player on the pitch by a mile.A very very talented lad.
His name, if I remember correctly, is Sam Egerton.

I'm not sure how easy it is for students to play first class rugby any more but there must be a queue of clubs hunting his signature.
A life long Tiger
shedster
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by shedster »

I wouldnt be looking to replace G parling quite yet as us Glaws fans have great ideas about whos going to come in for such and such , but unfortunately most dont come to anything . Its most likely that we will end up with Kennedy if hes looking to come back to the UK rather than Parling , i would be very happy to be proved wrong :smt002
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I just love this speculation - which is natural and a valid topic of discussion.

The latest player discussed is suggestions about losing Steve Mafi. He is the perfect example of the most difficult players to keep: those whose value has rocketed whilst at Tigers as they've gone from being unknowns to being major stars.

Being an Australian who plays for Tonga he would be happy to leave England: pity that Tonga got him as he could otherwise have been a really good England prospect in a years time on residence and would have been keen to stay in England.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

Speculation it may be but as far as I'm concerned Steve has become an important part of our squad & should be kept here if at all possible, His ability to cut through gaps in a defence to create something out of nothing are well known.
But for me its his all round game which I think gives him that extra special something.
Looking forward to his return from knee injury, keep it up Steve M & I hope you see that staying here at the Tigers is the best place for you.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

More on Mafi here, with quote from RC

http://www.thisisleicestershire.co.uk/L ... story.html

"The salary cap means that, from this year to next year, we could have exactly the same squad. But the players who are out of contract will be 25 per cent more expensive because that is the nature of it."

Something has to change.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

What's taken me aback is the comment that Alex T's salary equates to 25% of our total budget,thats's great for him and his future,but how do English clubs hope to compete in the market place for new players?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I doubt that most English clubs could compete even without the salary cap as clubs are making losses. The Leicester way has become very similar to some football clubs such as Arsenal which is to invest small amounts into lesser known players trying to make a name for themselves. Build a large squad and create a competitive environment and hope to get more out of them than their previous clubs managed. That is why so many players drop off the pace IMO as form is only temporary and as soon as they have their contracts the level drops but on the flip side the real class players who turn up week in and week out become difficult to afford. It's a catch 22! Also I feel there are a few over blown ego's as apart from maybe Cole, T.Youngs, Salvi, Parling and possibly Manu depending on his current salary, I do not think anyone has performed regularly enough or improved to the extent that they deserve big money!
Cheery chappy
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

Cockers has previously said that he would love to build a side around Mafi for the next 10 years...

I, for one, would be happy (on current form) for him to do so - so offer him a long term contract Cockers & lets see if he signs it !
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Jay C wrote:Cockers has previously said that he would love to build a side around Mafi for the next 10 years...

I, for one, would be happy (on current form) for him to do so - so offer him a long term contract Cockers & lets see if he signs it !

Cockers speask with forked tongue!!

Perhaps!

:smt017
Still keeping the faith!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Jay C wrote:Cockers has previously said that he would love to build a side around Mafi for the next 10 years...

Cockers speask with forked tongue!!

Perhaps!

:smt017
Otherwise known as hissing Sid :smt002
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Tigris
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tigris »

More on Parlings contract discussions: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... ester.html

As always, who knows the actual situation.