LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by RagingBull »

You don’t need a top 5 10 in world rugby to be successful though.

How many trophies have we and other teams won with very good but not really considered word class 10’s?
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:44 pm You don’t need a top 5 10 in world rugby to be successful though.

How many trophies have we and other teams won with very good but not really considered word class 10’s?
Yes, that's very true. I guess I'm just frustrated as I love watching him play. It's also galling as it feels like we're really close to being a major force again and now we're losing a world class FH, to a rival as well. Ah well, it's not the end of the world!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

So prospective available flyhalfs we've got so far.

England
Finn Smith
Alex Lozowski
Joe Simmonds

Ireland
Ross Byrne

Australia
Bernard Foley
Matt Toomua
Quade Cooper

New Zealand
Brett Cameron
Otere Black

South Africa
Handre Pollard
Curwin Bosch - under contracts but rumours Sharks could offload

Who have I missed?
RichieB
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by RichieB »

Irrespective of how hacked off we all are with Ford’s decision, it is important (although possibly quite difficult) not to take it out on him publicly. I’m not fussed about upsetting him, it just reflects badly on us, as fans, in front of the other players. I mean no one wants to be the subject of the fan’s wrath even though they might ‘deserve’ it.

Let’s rise above it and just focus on supporting the team/club.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

markharbtiger wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:42 pm
WhitecapTiger wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:38 pm When do Sale announce Mike Ford joining the 'team'? :smt005
Naughty! :smt018 :smt044
I was merely wondering how long Sanderson has to find his next position :smt005
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

sam16111986 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:59 pm So prospective available flyhalfs we've got so far.

England
Finn Smith
Alex Lozowski
Joe Simmonds

Ireland
Ross Byrne

Australia
Bernard Foley
Matt Toomua
Quade Cooper

New Zealand
Brett Cameron
Otere Black

South Africa
Handre Pollard

Who have I missed?
Pollard is the best on this list? I don’t like how SA play but he does deliver doesn’t he- cant run the ball like George but then again few can.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

I am very disappointed to see him go but it doesn't change what he has done for Leicester Tigers and my view about him. Wouldn't have been my choice and I was desperately hoping he would stay with us but he is moving closer to home and will earn more money while still having a shot at playing for England again.. he would have been crazy to turn it down. Players careers are very limited and I don't judge him for the decision he has reached. The only person I judge is that buffoon Sanderson and the way he's handled this.

As for his replacement.. Borthwick will find somebody and I'm sure he already has a plan. Would sooner see a FH take the marquee slot than a lock as I'm pretty happy with Wells, Snyman, Green, Henderson, Martin, Chessum, Liebenberg as our options for next season. A quality FH would be my top priority. That being said Hegarty looked great the other day and Lancaster looks solid.. plus we always have Freddie.. none are in the same league as George but not many are. We will have his wages to aim in the direction of somebody like Otere Black or Simmonds and either would be a good addition for me.

Disappointed to see him go but wish him well and there's no hard feelings from this Tigers fan
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:27 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:59 pm So prospective available flyhalfs we've got so far.

England
Finn Smith
Alex Lozowski
Joe Simmonds

Ireland
Ross Byrne

Australia
Bernard Foley
Matt Toomua
Quade Cooper

New Zealand
Brett Cameron
Otere Black

South Africa
Handre Pollard

Who have I missed?
Pollard is the best on this list? I don’t like how SA play but he does deliver doesn’t he- cant run the ball like George but then again few can.
Depends how you describe best really. On paper he is the most gifted of the available options, probably the best game manager in the sport currently. He would, however, take up a simply eye watering amount of money, miss a chunk of every season and is a bit liable to injury.

We'll be looking at the best pound for pound option. We have a potentially significant budget but not one that is on a level beyond anybody else. It is quite conceivable we could be outbid. I would suggest that it's a careful balancing act of getting somebody obviously better than we currently have (which in itself presents a bit of a challenge), somebody with a mindset that fits with the culture Borthwick has created and works within our system but also represents value for money. I would suggest that those criteria probably rule out Pollard, Toomua and Cooper but who knows.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

It’s worth bearing in mind Pollard is a year younger than Ford.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

OakhamTiger32 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:28 pm I am very disappointed to see him go but it doesn't change what he has done for Leicester Tigers and my view about him. Wouldn't have been my choice and I was desperately hoping he would stay with us but he is moving closer to home and will earn more money while still having a shot at playing for England again.. he would have been crazy to turn it down. Players careers are very limited and I don't judge him for the decision he has reached. The only person I judge is that buffoon Sanderson and the way he's handled this.

As for his replacement.. Borthwick will find somebody and I'm sure he already has a plan. Would sooner see a FH take the marquee slot than a lock as I'm pretty happy with Wells, Snyman, Green, Henderson, Martin, Chessum, Liebenberg as our options for next season. A quality FH would be my top priority. That being said Hegarty looked great the other day and Lancaster looks solid.. plus we always have Freddie.. none are in the same league as George but not many are. We will have his wages to aim in the direction of somebody like Otere Black or Simmonds and either would be a good addition for me.

Disappointed to see him go but wish him well and there's no hard feelings from this Tigers fan
Heard we offered him more money than Sale
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

RagingBull wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:58 pm It’s worth bearing in mind Pollard is a year younger than Ford.
Don’t underestimate the value of Walters in this situation.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Media suggest that is the case, only because tigers offered a improved deal.

I’ve not seen any figures mentioned how much we offered and if it’s from Sanderson I would rather believe the earth is flat

I’m also still very interested in how sale are planning on helping his coffee shop and his GF restaurant exactly.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Imagine if Sanderson got binned and MF got the job 😂
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:27 pm Imagine if Sanderson got binned and MF got the job 😂
🤞
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

RichieB wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:45 pm Surprised nobody asking for Farrell - seems to be a favourite of most posters :smt046
I really want this to happen, just to read the horror of posters on here !