Lions 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: Lions 2021

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 8:40 am I disagree I'd bench AWJ. There's no way his shoulder is 100% and I can't see him lasting 50+ minutes at full intensity against that gigantic Bok pack without a significant tail off in performance or injury.

4. Itoje
5. Henderson
6. Beirne
7. Watson

I'd definitely be looking at that though could possibly swap Henderson for Lawes. Curry on the bench.
AWJ for me isn’t an impact player though,so maybe if he does start him and bench Lawes just in case. The toughest calls are hooker and openside for me,English bias aside if I’m in charge I’m picking the player who performed in the toughest game,as we’ve seen a lot of players have stood out in these mismatches,and although that doesn’t mean Watson isn’t a fantastic player,Curry came in quite cold and was superb so he’s in for me!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

You don’t bench niggled players,especially forwards. If a “fit” forward gets injured in minute one then you’re injured forward has to play 79 minutes. You go the other way round for me
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

AWJ is the Captain, Murray was his stand in, I think they will both start.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

I honestly wouldn't mind seeing

4. AWJ
5. Itoje
6. Lawes
7. Watson
8. Curry

We really struggled in the breakdown against SA "A" and that lineup would be our best in that area, I also don't think any of the actual 8's have stood out too much either, especially in the traditional 8 role. Curry and Watson have also been our 2 best carrying loose forwards IMO.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:14 am You don’t bench niggled players,especially forwards. If a “fit” forward gets injured in minute one then you’re injured forward has to play 79 minutes. You go the other way round for me
Not really an issue as you'd move Beirne from 6 to lock and then play dual opensides. As the 8s can jump at the lineout you still have three jumpers. Whilst I see your point the Lions are covered.

AWJ is on the bench for me because he is likely to tail off early and it would be humiliating to sub a Welsh legend after 30 mins or at half time. Where as you can bring him in for the second half where SA will be looking to increase the pressure with some fresh forwards. That's when you want leadership and someone to be in the refs ear.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:39 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:14 am You don’t bench niggled players,especially forwards. If a “fit” forward gets injured in minute one then you’re injured forward has to play 79 minutes. You go the other way round for me
Not really an issue as you'd move Beirne from 6 to lock and then play dual opensides. As the 8s can jump at the lineout you still have three jumpers. Whilst I see your point the Lions are covered.

AWJ is on the bench for me because he is likely to tail off early and it would be humiliating to sub a Welsh legend after 30 mins or at half time. Where as you can bring him in for the second half where SA will be looking to increase the pressure with some fresh forwards. That's when you want leadership and someone to be in the refs ear.
And if Beirne isn't picked? No,sorry for me you don't bench a player who isn't 100% you always start him. In fact if it was me and he wasn't 100% he wouldn't even be in the squad. But if he does he starts ,that's the right way to go. Lawes starts at 6 then you can have Henderson and another BR forward on the bench. Gatland might even hedge his bets and start Biggar and Farrell so he can have a 6/2 split.
If AWJ comes on in the 55th minute say and gets smashed and has to go off then you're in trouble! If there's any doubt at all you have to play safe and either start him or cover yourself with a 6/2 split.
It's more humiliating if you've brought him on ,the shoulder doesn't hold up and then he has to go off.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Scott1 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:10 pm I’m gonna have a go!
Wyn Jones
Owens
Furlong
Itoje
AWJ
Lawes
Curry
Faletau
Murray
Biggar
Adams
Aki
Henshaw
Watson
Williams

Mako,LCD,Sinckler,Beirne,Watson,Price,Farrell,Daly
Might be Henderson and Hogg instead of Beirne and Daly
I agree with your starting xv, except Daly for Aki, with Henshaw at 12.
Bench: Mako, George, Sinckler, Henderson, Watson, Davies, Farrell, Hogg
Would love to see Smith on the bench but don’t think it will happen.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Harris could be a dark horse too.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Dokie wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:19 pm Harris could be a dark horse too.
Surprised me this tour!
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Matt Dawson picks his side for the First Test.Heaven help us if he is correct .....

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/57875384
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Believe we will be seeing similar news come through as the week progresses.In the main good new for South Africa but a selection dilemma may just be on the agenda .....

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/sport/r ... ward-trio/
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:51 am
Dokie wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:19 pm Harris could be a dark horse too.
Surprised me this tour!
Me too. Never seen him play so well.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Who would be captain if Kolisi is still in isolation? Lukanyo Am?
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Pleasing to see that some posters have come round to Harris.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

JP14 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:32 am Pleasing to see that some posters have come round to Harris.
Never seen any indication with Scotland or Gloucs that he could play at the level he’s shown on tour. Would not have taken him on tour for this reason. Clearly Gatland has an eye for things that us mere mortals don’t!