RWC 2023 Fixtures and results

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Scott1
Super User
Super User

Re: RWC 2023 Fixtures and results

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks guys! Saw the Davis Sextonesque play acting and the knock on for the try. I think the hurrah is more about these yellow card or lack of incidents where Wales were clearly favoured. Shame to spoil a great game
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:50 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:25 pm Nick Knowles has gone ballistic about the Wales v Fiji reffing. I must admit I had a few things to do so missed the controversial parts,was it really that bad?
Not THAT bad, just inconsistent

There were a couple of high shots that looked like they should have had an extra look. (Both to me looked like yellows on first glance but without review hard to say). Made to look worse by a seatbelt challenge being looked at by Fiji (which was reviewed due to the Welsh 9 staying down for treatment)

There was the one disallowed try where the Fiji prop dropped it BUT looked like he was stopped by a no arms tackle, the ref said there was a fraction of an arm lift (debatable IMO)

There also was the yellows given/not given, Wales got pinged plenty in their 22 before a warning. Then clear with a 50:22 maul collapse by Fiji results in yellow first offence due to being cynical (deserved yellow). At least one (Biggar's offside) of the Wales penalties was at least as cynical so regardless of pen count to warning should have been off. When Wales got the yellow there seemed another significant number of penalties before the next warning.... then they get another warning, they score their final try, in the act of scoring Carly sticks his arm out for an advantage about a second before the try is scored, so a penalty was committed there, but no yellow given (despite being on a warning).

In reality one side normally gets a slight rub of decisions, (I've seen a lot worse ref performances) and unfortunately when the rub of the green goes to the team who won by a single score then questions get raised.
Definitely looked like a chicken wing tackle at the time to me,that could possible have been a penalty try and yellow on another day and then it's a different game
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:50 pm
Scott1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 12:25 pm Nick Knowles has gone ballistic about the Wales v Fiji reffing. I must admit I had a few things to do so missed the controversial parts,was it really that bad?
Not THAT bad, just inconsistent

There were a couple of high shots that looked like they should have had an extra look. (Both to me looked like yellows on first glance but without review hard to say). Made to look worse by a seatbelt challenge being looked at by Fiji (which was reviewed due to the Welsh 9 staying down for treatment)

There was the one disallowed try where the Fiji prop dropped it BUT looked like he was stopped by a no arms tackle, the ref said there was a fraction of an arm lift (debatable IMO)

There also was the yellows given/not given, Wales got pinged plenty in their 22 before a warning. Then clear with a 50:22 maul collapse by Fiji results in yellow first offence due to being cynical (deserved yellow). At least one (Biggar's offside) of the Wales penalties was at least as cynical so regardless of pen count to warning should have been off. When Wales got the yellow there seemed another significant number of penalties before the next warning.... then they get another warning, they score their final try, in the act of scoring Carly sticks his arm out for an advantage about a second before the try is scored, so a penalty was committed there, but no yellow given (despite being on a warning).

In reality one side normally gets a slight rub of decisions, (I've seen a lot worse ref performances) and unfortunately when the rub of the green goes to the team who won by a single score then questions get raised.
Agree with everything said here. Media blowing everything out of proportion because many neutrals wanted Fiji to win.

Was it the worst refereeing performance? No
Could things have been better? Yes

I thought the ref made some poor calls against both teams. But on balance Wales probably should’ve got a yellow sooner. Doesn’t detract for me what was a great game and Wales across the 80 minutes for me were the better team.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Kriel has escaped a citing,crazy!
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

Scott1 wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:58 pm Kriel has escaped a citing,crazy!
I didn't watch the game, but was it actually head on head? The images I have seen do look like it but it might have just been the angle.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

wigworth wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:28 pm
I didn't watch the game, but was it actually head on head? The images I have seen do look like it but it might have just been the angle.
Yep definitely head on head, personally I agree with the citing commissioner on that one, it should have been a yellow through, rather than "play on" however by the same margin Curry should have been a yellow.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:19 pm
wigworth wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 6:28 pm
Yep definitely head on head, personally I agree with the citing commissioner on that one, it should have been a yellow through, rather than "play on" however by the same margin Curry should have been a yellow.
Hopefully the panel tomorrow agree.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

I'm depressed by all this.

OK, I'm not in a good place having lost the old man a couple of weeks ago. The bloke I watch and discuss most games with (Along with an old fart from Gloucester!) but it all seems to about reds and yellows, head clashes and protocol.

How about getting the basics right? Off sides, in front of the kicker, reffing the breakdown properly, forward passes. (I'm still not sure about ABs firstvtry)

I'm fast losing the will to watch games where sir is the star.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Sorry to hear about your old man.

When you and I were playing (when Queen Victoria was a lad) the game was messier, dirtier and a lot more fun.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

If alternate angles show that Kriel gets mitigation for his collision, and therefore a yellow card, then no citing is the right call. But the real screw up is Ben Whitehouse, who somehow deemed it 'play on' despite the head-on-head, which seems completely against precedence.
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

It does make you wonder if after the Curry red card that officials are thinking twice. I really hope his red card is deemed sufficient given he was trying to wrap and knees bent and the Argentinian was in the air with no control. You can tell a great referee when you don't notice them but in recent days the standard of the ref, tmo and bunker ref have all been questionable. I would love to just be talking about the games

Sorry for your loss BD
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Big Dai wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:36 pm I'm depressed by all this.

OK, I'm not in a good place having lost the old man a couple of weeks ago. The bloke I watch and discuss most games with (Along with an old fart from Gloucester!) but it all seems to about reds and yellows, head clashes and protocol.

How about getting the basics right? Off sides, in front of the kicker, reffing the breakdown properly, forward passes. (I'm still not sure about ABs firstvtry)

Sorry for your loss!
Lutontiger

Post by Lutontiger »

Sorry you’ve lost your dad, Big Dai. Be kind to yourself - it’s very early days. Probably too early to be following any reffing of Wales! 😝
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Never met him, but sorry about your loss, seeing you come on here and put on both yours and your dad's (plus occasionally Posh Richard's) thoughts of a Tigers game is something very comforting and familiar.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

Sorry to hear your news. I hope your pain eases soon.