2024 Six Nations Chat

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: 2024 Six Nations Chat

Post by Rugbygramps »

Borthwick seems to be loyal, but this can be a weakness. Cole is lauded in the squad especially after his performance against South Africa, which was redemption for him, but as much of a fan as I am I’m just not sure what he’s bringing to the party other than the experience. It may just be one last hurrah for him as I would be surprised if he wanted to fly to the other side of the world in the summer for 3 games.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

If I were an England Rugby player, I would keep turning up for as long as I was selected. It is a short career and a stint in the 6 Nations squad puts another 100k in the pension pot. Unless there was a big contract calling from abroad, there is no way I would formally retire unless it was made clear that I would no longer be selected.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

If he's enjoying it, why not? I'm older than he is and I'd be very keen to spend a few weeks of Summer on the other side of the world for work.

He brings absolute solidity in the scrum (Heyes is yet to fully prove he can do the same), consistency and huge experience. He does the basics of tighthead to a very high level, and you should never underestimate the importance of basics...

If those things aren't useful, then I don't know much about rugby.

It's all well and good saying give youth a chance, but I watched England U20's last year and 90% of those players weren't ready to play France U20's, let alone France seniors.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Will Marler and Cole be around for the next World Cup? No

Are there replacements ready yet for international rugby? No

I’ve no problems for Marler and Cole playing for a few more years as stop gaps whilst we wait for Baxter, Opoku-Fordjour, Fasobgun to come through. In a few years they could mainstays of the English front row and appear to have the talent to make it on the test scene.
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:19 pm Will Marler and Cole be around for the next World Cup? No

I’ve no problems for Marler and Cole playing for a few more years as stop gaps whilst we wait for Baxter, Opoku-Fordjour, Fasobgun to come through. In a few years they could mainstays of the English front row and appear to have the talent to make it on the test scene.
Agreed, there are plenty of important games of rugby before the next World Cup and it does no good for all the youngsters to be thrown in too early and get repeated thrashings.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I agree that the new players need to be fed in like Root and Freeman. Again imo and I’m going on what I saw Dan wasn’t as effective as previously, and yes everyone has off days. Cast iron scrum penalty given against him won by an Italian prop making his test debut.
Very little between him and Heyes now, and personally I’d rather see Heyes playing, others will disagree
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Seen a photo of Martin. He is the only forward wearing a yellow bib which may suggest limited contact
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Rugbygramps wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:08 pm Seen a photo of Martin. He is the only forward wearing a yellow bib which may suggest limited contact
Him and Ollie Lawrence both targeting a return against Scotland.
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Here's the probable French starting XV for Saturday's match at Murrayfield with only two changes, Cameron Woki in the 2nd row in place of Paul "Richard Head" Willemse, and Louis Bielle-Biarrey on the wing for Yoram Moefana.
Sadly, scrum half Lucu is unlikely to be replaced by Nolan Le Garrec.

15. Ramos ; 14. Penaud, 13. Danty, 12. Fickou, 11. Bielle-Biarrey ; 10. Jalibert, 9. Lucu ; 7. Ollivon, 8. Alldritt (cap.), 6. Cros ; 5. Gabrillagues, 4. Woki ; 3. Atonio, 2. Mauvaka, 1. Baille

Danty and Fickou are overdue a good game for as they looked jaded against Ireland.
Semper in excretia
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 1:19 pm Will Marler and Cole be around for the next World Cup? No

Agree, and better to play them than to potentially damage the careers of young props who aren't yet ready.

It's the same with George and the captaincy; there's no other stand out candidate yet who's a guaranteed starter. Yet no one seems to be criticising Andy Farrell selecting O'Mahoney as his captain yet the latter has said he won't make it to the next RWC!
No6_Flanker
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by No6_Flanker »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68223487

Willemse gets 3 weeks, two 6 Nations matches, as the panel deemed it ‘disproportionate’ for his 4 and 3 week bans to run sequentially!?
Cheering on the Tigers in Detroit.
Previously a slower, shorter, less good looking version of Tom Croft.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

That's generally how it works, yeah.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Reffell starts vs England
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

No6_Flanker wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:07 am https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/68223487

Willemse gets 3 weeks, two 6 Nations matches, as the panel deemed it ‘disproportionate’ for his 4 and 3 week bans to run sequentially!?
He would also have been available to play for his club side in the weeks banned...4 weeks reduced to 3 weeks if he does the course. Hence, misses 3 games in total, 1 Club, 2 Six nations matches.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Scrum penalties are often a lottery.
The likes of Cole often find that the opposition prop chucks the kitchen sink at the first scrum or two only to find he just keeps coming back.