Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Saracens (H) - Sunday 19th February 2023 - KO 3-00pm

Post by Ian Cant »

Just got home and feel exhausted!
Great win. Mike Brown already a Tigers’ legend and Steward will learn a lot from him: he varied his game which in the first half made the difference in attack, then he stopped Sarries scoring on at least 3 occasions. Weise superb and Martin: wow; as we all know he is a hell of a player and will go to the World Cup.
Right decision at the end: Sarries can’t be caught so just boot the ball out! Cannot believe some folk are moaning about denying Sarries a point!
Defence in the last 15 minutes was awesome.
As for Ben Youngs: first half back to his best but then his box kicking and decision making went awol.
Irish away will be so difficult with Reffell and Henderson.
Still it gives us a chance of fighting for too 6( if we are lucky: top 4).
Pollard was World Class: as good as Fordy.Nearly!!!!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

I really appreciated the performance of the « older » players, who’d come in for a lot of stick on this forum. Did anyone hear the post match interview with man of the match Mike Brown who said they may be older than most but they are professional sportsmen and they look after themselves? The success of a club is generally built around the more experienced players and the likes of Gopperth, Ashton, Brown and Cole set the standard for the younger players.
Semper in excretia
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

Robespierre wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:38 pm I really appreciated the performance of the « older » players, who’d come in for a lot of stick on this forum. Did anyone hear the post match interview with man of the match Mike Brown who said they may be older than most but they are professional sportsmen and they look after themselves? The success of a club is generally built around the more experienced players and the likes of Gopperth, Ashton, Brown and Cole set the standard for the younger players.
Yes. Also noted Wiggys comments that they got picked because the trained better than others during the week !!! Leading by example, great to see. Anyway, humble pies about ready so, tea time !
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Re: kicking it out at the end. We'd already tried to lose that game for the whole second half, then given a chance to win at the end. Just take the win and go for a beer!
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

ads wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:47 pm Re: kicking it out at the end. We'd already tried to lose that game for the whole second half, then given a chance to win at the end. Just take the win and go for a beer!
Quite right! A team of the calibre of Saracens can counter attack from anywhere and they could still have won, so it was a good decision !
Semper in excretia
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Tykger wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:27 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:18 pm
Old Hob wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:10 pm The praise for Saracens is overdone; 2 tries of theirs came from really terrible mistakes of ours.
Not to mention forward passes......though we had a foot in touch not given so some justice.
More grounds to cut costs and get rid of 'pro' assistant refs. Just get a mum or dad from each team to stand where the ball went out and leave off sides, forward passes and foot in touch decisions to the lottery it is now. Same result, just a lot cheaper.
When I reflect on the TMO situation I think I was much happier when we had sir and two, switched on touch judges.

Professional rugby is killing the game.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

ads wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:47 pm Re: kicking it out at the end. We'd already tried to lose that game for the whole second half, then given a chance to win at the end. Just take the win and go for a beer!
Go for the three. Deny them the BP.
Kick the :censored: thing hard enough it's a pretty low risk strategy.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:54 pm
Why though. No benefit to us.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Low risk? Certainly. There was only one zero risk option, though - the one they chose!
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

chris111 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:24 pm
wigworth wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:55 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:49 pm

Straight in front with an international class goal kicker. That's a gimme. It's only about 30m out as well, bread and butter stuff for someone of Pollard's standard.

The Sarries LBP won't matter in context of the league but it's an attitude thing. No one leaves with anything from Welford Road.
I agree with this line of thinking, there should be no free points given out.
There were a lot of experienced old pros out there - I get that their decision was never going to be a popular one with fans (me included, who was screaming for them to go for the corner!), but I also get why they took the ultra-pragmatic route.
I guess but I would unwaveringly trust Pollard to kick the points in that position, personally I would not have gone for the corner anyway the risk reward would not have been worth it.

Although I would say as a wider point not directed at you, while the extra point for Sarries won't change our chances of catching them, if denied it would have been kept Sale within 6 of them, which is not insurmountable and might have kept Sarries pushing hard the rest of the season hopefully beating teams we could do with do with losing if we are to make it into the playoffs.
Last edited by wigworth on Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

chris111 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:02 pm
Low risk? Certainly. There was only one zero risk option, though - the one they chose!
Ah! The zero risk option....no such thing.
Live.......just a little.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Big Dai wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:11 pm

After that second half, I didn't have much left in me!
Tay63

Post by Tay63 »

A crazy game , let’s leave the negatives to one side and be happy with a very gutsy victory.
UP THE TIGERS.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

ads wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:15 pm
Big Dai wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:11 pm

After that second half, I didn't have much left in me!
I see what you mean..........but I think showing them what we were all about was important.

"You hammered us in that second half. Pushed for a win, came close but.........

BOOT.....Flags up......Cheers....

.....you leave with nothing!"
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

wigworth wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:08 pm
chris111 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:24 pm
wigworth wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:55 pm
I guess but I would unwaveringly trust Pollard to kick the points in that position, personally I would not have gone for the corner anyway the risk reward would not have been worth it.

Although I would say as a wider point not directed at you, while the extra point for Sarries won't change our chances of catching them, if denied it would have been kept Sale within 6 of them, which is not insurmountable and might have kept Sarries pushing hard the rest of the season hopefully beating teams we could do with do with losing if we are to make it into the playoffs.
That’s a valid point (although Sarries will have a home semi wrapped up early, and probably aren’t too bothered who they get in that).

Mainly, I suspect after surviving the onslaught, Tigers just wanted to get off the field ASAP…and I don’t blame them for that!