LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by Rugbygramps »

He has also stated that he wants to be near family so would suggest a move to France is off the cards
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:21 pm He has also stated that he wants to be near family so would suggest a move to France is off the cards
So why was Borths desperate to keep him in the prem and is seemingly the one who set this up with the RFU if he wasn't going abroad then? 🤔
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:20 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:18 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:16 pm
Who said it has to be prem?
In the article
"French clubs, including Castres, had been circling Watson and it is thought the RFU was encouraged to make its move at the behest of England head coach Steve Borthwick, who wanted to keep him in the Premiership – and thus available for selection – after the World Cup."
So this deal means no one outside the prem
So if we don’t come to terms with him and no other English club wants him,who does he play for then and who pays his salary?
He's screwed unless RFU change their policies
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:24 pm
Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:20 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:18 pm

In the article
"French clubs, including Castres, had been circling Watson and it is thought the RFU was encouraged to make its move at the behest of England head coach Steve Borthwick, who wanted to keep him in the Premiership – and thus available for selection – after the World Cup."
So this deal means no one outside the prem
So if we don’t come to terms with him and no other English club wants him,who does he play for then and who pays his salary?
He's screwed unless RFU change their policies
Could this be the RFU dipping their toe in the central contract water?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

In the same way we signed the likes of Hassell-Collins months before his contract starts, I'm pretty sure Watson has already signed a contract with us, whether the contract started in July or whether it starts in October/November I don't know.

When rumours of the "central contract" for Watson popped up it was Sarries who entered the race for him as front runners. Then Potter got the offer to leave early for Aus and we actually entered the contract race (It was 100% confirmed by the club we made 'a' contract offer to Watson) then TigerXV said his contact at Saracens said they had given up on him due to them finding out he was staying here, that was further confirmed by them chasing (though failing) Loader, but being successful with getting Cinti, filling the gap they were trying to sign Watson for.

That's why whatever the news articles surrounding him I'm still well over 90% sure Watson will be joining up with Tigers post World Cup.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Personally, I think this confirms (without confirming) he’s signed for us.

There is no way someone as injury prone as Watson would go in to a World Cup without having the other side tied up. One injury and he has nothing.

He gets paid by the RFU and then we pay him the later part of the season with Potter’s unexpected cap. If he signs that before the season/World Cup starts, he’s sitting pretty. He can then tout for business anywhere next season.

I expect that we have him signed but as per the article, because it’s a bit contentious, we’ve chosen to keep our powder dry.
AViewFromLe2

Post by AViewFromLe2 »

I actually took it to mean he has not signed with us, but we are the leading option post WC and why he was announced as unattached on Monday in the squad announcement. I wouldn't be surprised if he is keeping his options open to see if a big post WC offer comes across to him.

This training contract makes it easer for us to resign him & he stays in England, which is why Steve will have pushed for the RFU to make it happen, but i don't think it's a done deal yet. It means we're not in a weak position, but possibly vulnerable to a worldie offer from France or somewhere that blows everyone out of the water.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

It’s all well and good being us but imagine the hoohah if it was a Sarries player who was getting paid by England and then helping their salary cap,there would be uproar on here! What have other clubs said? I’d imagine it hasn’t gone down well. I suppose he’s out of contract though so there’s not much they can say though really
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:05 pm It’s all well and good being us but imagine the hoohah if it was a Sarries player who was getting paid by England and then helping their salary cap,there would be uproar on here! What have other clubs said? I’d imagine it hasn’t gone down well. I suppose he’s out of contract though so there’s not much they can say though really
To be fair, I’d say it would be more understandable if it was Faz or Itoje et al. I don’t see Watson as a pivotal player for England or us to be honest.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:05 pm It’s all well and good being us but imagine the hoohah if it was a Sarries player who was getting paid by England and then helping their salary cap,there would be uproar on here! What have other clubs said? I’d imagine it hasn’t gone down well. I suppose he’s out of contract though so there’s not much they can say though really

I mean Andy Farrell had a similar contract as did most league pinches
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:24 pm

You have details on those please?
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:33 pm

Seem to remember the controversy when he went to Saracens?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:33 pm

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rug ... 29686.html

Farrell, 29, who has been recovering from a knee operation, has been declared fit by the Rugby Football Union's medical experts. The three-year deal, which is worth close to £1m, will see Saracens and the RFU sharing the burden of Farrell's £700,000 salary. Twickenham paid a "transfer fee" to Wigan, believed to be in the region of £200,000, to cover the remainder of Farrell's Super League contract.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Thanks RB! 👍
wigworth
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wigworth »

I guess there is precedent then, I certainly didn't remember this.