European semi finals

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: European semi finals

Post by Rugbygramps »

westwinds31 wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:43 pm Ridiculous decision that. De Flier at fault.
Was he at fault the first time the French player butted him or the 2nd time.

As I’ve said everyone has their own opinions. Mine for what it’s worth VDF comes into the ruck after being shepherded away by a French head once already, come in again, the French prop looks up takes a step forward and strikes VDF with his head.
Last edited by Rugbygramps on Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Not the best quality this Glasgow Scarlets game
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Is Glasgow winning the first away win in the knockouts?

Certainly every game in the Champions Cup has gone the way of the home side I think.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 7:28 pm Is Glasgow winning the first away win in the knockouts?

Certainly every game in the Champions Cup has gone the way of the home side I think.
Not sure about the challenge cup.
They will give either Toulon or Benetton a decent game, considering they were missing Jones, Gray and a few others
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Another game decided by cards. I’m not saying they were not warranted (although I’m not convinced by the second one), but rugby must be the only major sport where this happens. I’m not entirely sure what could be done, but something needs to be.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

i don’t see how VDF gets away with it. He charges at a player when he has no way of affecting the ball, goes in upright. If the Toulouse player doesn’t drop his head there would be head to head contact- that’s a yellow. VDF initiates the whole thing.

For what is worth how the Toulouse player reacts is probably also a yellow due to using his head but the idea that he’s more to blame is a joke.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Looking at the chiefs team, on paper, actually looks pretty strong and having Vermuelen back is a big boost. Not sure how often this team has played this year in their poor prem results. (?)

Positions where they are weak are 9 & 10 - surprised they haven’t targeted a top one for next season with all the cap freed up by the leavers.
Of course possible just hasn’t been announced yet…
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

on the 2nd attempt VDF definitely went in with his arm tucked and should have been at least yellow carded if not red as shoulder made contact with head.
I had sympathy for French bloke because he had no way to defend himself.. but bucking his head was foolish and probably deserved a yellow too.
Too often we see something where a card is given for a defensive or retaliatory act and the perpetrator gets away Scot free .. if rugby wants to improve behaviour the punishments must be always meted out to the instigator also.

I thought Glasgow looked good for their win inspite of some indifferent refereeing from the Frenchman as usual.. McDowell is an interesting player that Scotland could consider and I thought Matthews the bench hooker is definitely one to watch.
Tykger

Post by Tykger »

mightymouse wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:25 am on the 2nd attempt VDF definitely went in with his arm tucked and should have been at least yellow carded if not red as shoulder made contact with head.
I had sympathy for French bloke because he had no way to defend himself.. but bucking his head was foolish and probably deserved a yellow too.
Too often we see something where a card is given for a defensive or retaliatory act and the perpetrator gets away Scot free .. if rugby wants to improve behaviour the punishments must be always meted out to the instigator also.

I thought Glasgow looked good for their win inspite of some indifferent refereeing from the Frenchman as usual.. McDowell is an interesting player that Scotland could consider and I thought Matthews the bench hooker is definitely one to watch.
I agree.

Toulouse Coach looked mighty unimpressed. Any of our French connections got the low down on how the French press are reporting on this game ??
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Very harsh on Toulouse player, what's he supposed to do, just stand there and get smashed? The movement of his head didn't look great, but I think he moved forward so much because VdF half pulled out at the last second.

To be honest, I think VdF was trying to draw the penalty/card, especially the way he went down clutching his face, then jumped up as soon as he realised the whistle wasn't going to be blown.

Why is VdF allowed to run upright into a ruck that he has no chance of winning? Who's created the dangerous situation?

Bonkers IMO, they're both upright, they're both moving forward, but VdF initiates the contact so surely its he who has the duty of care?

Getting a bit bored of watching Ireland opponents getting silly cards....
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

I find it interesting that different people have different views of the same incident.
I completely understand what others are saying.

For me this was the 2nd contact , VDF doesn’t reach the back foot of the ruck the French prop can be seen to look up sees him coming and takes a step forward and initiates the contact with VDF with his head catching him in the sternum neck area.
At no point did I see any gamesmanship(call it what you will ) from the Leinster player
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

northerntiger wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:16 pm Another game decided by cards. I’m not saying they were not warranted (although I’m not convinced by the second one), but rugby must be the only major sport where this happens. I’m not entirely sure what could be done, but something needs to be.
I don’t think it’s true that this only happens in rugby. Most team games have some form of disciplinary sanction involving temporary or permanent exclusions - and although I don’t have stats to back this up, the ‘power play’ advantage generally influences the final outcome. And that, surely, is the point - a sanction that doesn’t reduce the offending team’s chances of winning would be no sanction!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Look at that wonderful French weather down in Bordeaux, superb atmosphere , sell out, how did Exeter get there and not us. :smt022
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

LE18 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:12 pm Look at that wonderful French weather down in Bordeaux, superb atmosphere , sell out, how did Exeter get there and not us. :smt022
By not playing Leinster.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Grannyman wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:18 pm [quote=LE18 post_id=854493 time=<a href="tel:1682863928">1682863928</a> user_id=8553]
Look at that wonderful French weather down in Bordeaux, superb atmosphere , sell out, how did Exeter get there and not us. :smt022
By not playing Leinster.
[/quote]

Because we lost at home to Ospreys with some shocking reffing.