Connacht (H) - Sunday 19th December 2021 - KO 13:00

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Connachtabu

Re: Connacht (H) - Sunday 19th December 2021 - KO 13:00

Post by Connachtabu »

Thanks for the welcomes. I’m pretty confident I didn’t reveal anything to Borthwick and co they didn’t know already!

I don’t follow the premiership much back bar end of season knockout but it’s good to see Leicester back, proper rugby club unlike some. Although looking at the recent scores your defence seems pretty stingy which isn’t ideal.

We will need all of that luck mentioned!
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Connachtabu wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:15 pm Afternoon Leicester supporters, thought I would offer a Connacht perspective.

Stade Francais were terrible so I wouldn’t read anything into that game.

Connacht have generally been pretty good this season aside from one awful performance at home six weeks ago to Dragons. Very unlucky not to win against a fully loaded Munster in Thomond where the TMO had a shocker and a try stood that clearly shouldn’t have. Gave Ulster (who beat Clermont away last weekend but have been inconsistent) a trimming in Lansdowne Road, home game was moved for financial reasons post Covid.

Stuck with Leinster for a half two weeks ago going in one score down and then couple of early errors in second half put Leinster 20 up killed game. Leinsters second string had lost at home the week before and 10/11 of the Irish team that beat the All Blacks came back in so it’s just different levels

Bundee Aki is due back but still missing some key players.

Would expect Connacht to struggle with Leicester’s physicality especially at scrum time, our first choice loose head is out for season and this is effectively first season of being first 23 for two young replacements. Maul defence was a massive issue last season, it had improved a lot but showed up as a big problem against Stade again last Sunday.

Two of our best forwards are second row Niall Murray and blindside Cian Prendergast, both 21 and still developing. Jasper Wiese was a major problem in the challenge cup last season and we lack a backrow of his physicality.

Kieran Marmion was switched late from team to bench last weekend and presumably picked up a knock. Would expect him to be back and he’s an underrated 9, has started for Ireland in wins v New Zealand and England. Box kicking probably the weakest part of his game and as Ireland tend to use that so much, it has likely cost him a lot of caps.

Outside him Jack Carty is captain now and playing superb. His goal kicking stats aren’t the best but he does play in possibly the windiest and most exposed ground in Europe at home so that’s certainly a factor. He’s an off the cuff sort of ten that comes with risks obviously but they have been paying off for him this season.

Centres should be boosted by return of Aki and I would guess Sam Arnold who is off to France next season may partner him.

Our back three are fast and dangerous in attack. McNulty at 15 made his first start a month ago and has looked very promising but he hasn’t been tested in the manner George Ford might in terms of kicking and high balls.

If the scrum and maul defence are as bad as they were against Stade it will get ugly. One glimmer of hope for Connacht is that these sort of games, heavy underdogs away from home have historically resulted in very good performances, the most recent examples being a narrow four point loss to Racing 92 in this competition last season where Connacht were in their 22 in the final minute with chance to win and a win against Leinster in Dublin last January.

I would be very happy to take a bonus point, that may actually be more likely to come via four tries than being within 7 given the points Connacht have been putting up this season. Anything beyond a point would be outstanding.

Pessimistic Prediction Leicester 35 Connacht 21 three tries no bp

Optimistic Prediction Leicester 35 Connacht 28 two bps
Welcome here.

Do you think Connacht will be going full bore in this one or do you have any other big games upcoming?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
OakhamTiger32
Super User
Super User

Post by OakhamTiger32 »

Connachtabu wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:32 pm Thanks for the welcomes. I’m pretty confident I didn’t reveal anything to Borthwick and co they didn’t know already!

I don’t follow the premiership much back bar end of season knockout but it’s good to see Leicester back, proper rugby club unlike some. Although looking at the recent scores your defence seems pretty stingy which isn’t ideal.

This is great to see. Haven’t seen much of this over the years so thank you for taking the time to post.

I’m expecting another cracking game; Tigers focussing on winning the battle up front, solid lineouts, rolling maul and some tactical kicking. Connacht will definitely pose a threat and this will be another good test.

Our defense is the best in the Premiership and we’ve conceded on average 16 points a game across all competitions. Given we’ve played teams like Bordeaux, Irish, Saints away and Sarries, Exeter, Sale and Quins at home that’s pretty tidy.

I’m not expecting an easy ride regardless of the Connacht team selection; they will be buoyed by their recent success and will be looking for an upset.

Should be a cracker.. can’t wait.
Connachtabu

Post by Connachtabu »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:58 pm
Connachtabu wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:15 pm
Welcome here.

Do you think Connacht will be going full bore in this one or do you have any other big games upcoming?
We have a few big games coming up yeah, the traditional Xmas “interpros”/derbies v Ulster and Munster. European qualification is tougher for Connacht with the new league and the Saffers joining, especially because the league format means you play the teams in your country twice and everyone else once (all countries wanted to retain money spinning derbies). For Connacht that means playing the three best teams in the league, Leinster, Munster & Ulster twice as much as anyone else. So those are big games every way, derbies and points wise.

Head coach Andy Friend was actually asked about this today, interviewer more or less said any chance of sending a seconds team, he didn’t really show it because he’s an affable guy but from his tone I thought he was pretty annoyed at the notion (even though there’s certainly a fair bit of logic to it). So my guess is it will be as strong an XV as Connacht can name, probably a few changes from last week, mainly injuries (Aki tight head Finlay Bealham & possibly back three player Mack Hansen although they sounded less optimistic on his chances of being available) and a couple of other changes that are pretty much like for like, Ultan Dillane may come into second row.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

I'm hoping to see us continue with the rotation this weekend. Whitcombe didn't get a game last weekend and Heyes did so well, particularly at scrum time I'm hoping he gets more minutes plus Dan Cole has played a lot already. If we have Montoya between them we should be strong come scrum time.

Whitcombe, Montoya, Heyes
Snyman, Chessum
Martin, Brink, Reffell
Youngs, Ford
Kelly, Scott
Saumaki, Steward, Potter

Dolly, Genge, Cole, Wells, can Staden, JVP, Burns, Murimurivalu.

Weise hasn't finished either of the last two games so maybe just rotate him out if he's got a niggle. Brink could do with the game time as if he's match fit then that only helps the squad and he's not a small carrier. Nadolo can have the full two weeks rest and in Saumaki we have a powerhouse that's nearly settling in but hasn't quite got there yet.

Stacked bench for big impact in the second half, could possibly bring in Leatigaga for Cole if we decide to properly rest him. If Henderson is fit I'd like to see him make the bench.
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Thanks for that Connachtabu
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

I don’t think you’ll be far off with that line up Sam either …whatever it is I’m happy mind
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

Connachtabu wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:32 pm Thanks for the welcomes. I’m pretty confident I didn’t reveal anything to Borthwick and co they didn’t know already!

Welcome Connachtabu and good luck at the weekend - good to have a rational, balanced view rather than some I've seen where Connacht are gunning for Tigers and expect to be the first to beat us etc ! From my perspective, with the form we've been in and the "never-say-die" attitude of whoever is on the pitch, something that Borthwick and the coaches have implemented since they came in, I would be surprised if Tigers lost out, especially with home advantage. That said, it's not going to be easy but we'll be prepared, you can guarantee that. We will lose at some stage, but as Borthwick says every week, it's all about squad improvement and although a loss to you guys wouldn't be ideal, he'll no doubt say that it's all part of the journey, learning and improving to get better every game.
Ajcc

Post by Ajcc »

Anyone think we might see Matías Moroni in the 14 shirt.

My feeling for this week is more towards bench impact in the pack.

1) Van Wyk
2) Dolly
3) Hayes
4) Wells
5) Snyman
6) Chessum
7) Reffell
8) Martin
9) Youngs
10) Ford
11) Nadolo
12) Kelly
13) Scott
14) Moroni
15) Stewart

16) Montoya
17) Genge or Leatigaga
18) Cole
19) Van Staden
20) Wiese
21) JVP
22) Burns/ Hegarty
23) Murimurivalu
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I am certain we won't take them lightly and personally, I would go to load the bench with the strongest impact forwards we have. If we have them in reserve to use if needed in the hope that we don't. So I would go with:

1) Leatigaga
2) Dolly
3) Hayes
4) Wells
5) Snyman
6) Chessum
7) Reffell
8) Martin
9) Youngs
10) Ford
11) Nadolo
12) Kelly
13) Scott
14) Murimurivalu
15) Hegarty

16) Montoya
17) Genge
18) Cole
19) van Staden
20) Wiese
21) JVP
22) Potter
23) Burns

Isn't it a great situation where we have such a squad and coaches that we could all name a 23 capable of winning most matches
Hehehehehehehehe
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

I’d love to see us try Hegarty at 10 with a strong backline and pack to set the platform.

Unsure if this is the game to try it but why not - the whole team has the same attitude regardless of who is on the pitch!

1 - Genge (C)
2 - Montoya
3 - Heyes
4 - Wells
5 - Snyman
6 - Martin
7 - Reffell
8 - Wiese
9- Youngs
10 - Hegarty
11 - Nadolo
12 - Scott
13 - Moroni
14 - Murimurivalu
15 - Steward

16 - Dolly
17 - van Wyk
18 - Leatigaga
19 - Chessum
20 - van Staden
21 - van Poortvliet
22 - Ford
23 - Potter

Power and pace to start, with power and pace to bring on should we need. Also gives some rest to Cole and Ford.

Was tempted to swap Genge and van Wyk round and give Montoya the captaincy but at home I think Ellis will be up for it!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

Where are we on Freddie B and Hanro's injury status?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Van Wyk not a good enough scrummager to be in the 23 for me. Start with Leatigaga with Genge on the bench.
A2O
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ay2oh wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:57 pm Van Wyk not a good enough scrummager to be in the 23 for me. Start with Leatigaga with Genge on the bench.
Leatigaga is an impact player. Wouldn't fancy seeing him have to play more than 40 minutes at the intensity required against a team as attacking minded as Connacht.

Now we know Genge is off I think it is very much the time to give young Whitcombe some more game time. He's the future Tigers loosehead but how far off that is we'll only find out by keep drip feeding him game time. He did fine against Connacht last season and if we pair him with Montoya and Heyes that's a good front row.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I would start Genge and have Whitcombe on the bench. But play on bringing Whitcombe on this time.

With Genge going same as Ford, play them as much as possible