Tigers vs Saracens

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers vs Saracens

Post by strawclearer »

Wales full-back Leigh Halfpenny has been ruled out of Saturday's autumn Test against South Africa after failing to recover from concussion.

George North is available and Liam Williams is probably favourite to take the 15 shirt with Anscombe above Holmes in the pecking order so we may get Jonah back.
Last edited by strawclearer on Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

fortysix wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:50 am These posts just show how low our expectations have come with the majority predicting at best a losing bonus point....
AT HOME !!!!!!!

If we lose and at Bristol the week after, 3 of this Board and the majority of the Coaches should be shown... THE EXIT
If you insist on being relentlessly negative, then please come up with some actualite over WHO will take over as coach(es), what would be gained by showing Peter Tom and Tom Scott the exit (there are better candidates, but not for playing reasons IMO) and exactly what the team and tactics will be.
Given the damage wrought by MOC, AM and certain senior players in their complicity with certain members of the BoD (IMO), I expect GM will need at least this and next season to fashion a new dynasty. A fresh coaching team would need at least that, with no better guarantee of success - I do believe we need a premier defence coach though.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

strawclearer wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:57 am Wales full-back Leigh Halfpenny has been ruled out of Saturday's autumn Test against South Africa after failing to recover from concussion.

Gorge North is available and Liam Williams is probably favourite to take the 15 shirt with Anscombe above Holmes in the pecking order so we may get Jonah back.
North and Williams should be wings with Holmes at FB IF performance is a criterion. I watched the whole match, and there were several underperformances (Evans 11 was the standout underperformance, Holmes was excellent).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

JGriffin hi
No I am not negative, just completely rational and observant.

Personally , how is that other Clubs seem to select some Johnny foreigner who immediately instals into their system a playing structure, and who also seems to have the players to follow it through.

Our purchasing has been , in the main, a literal disaster. Either a top salaried chappie with International get out clauses, or a succession of journeymen who have not got the legendary Tigers fire in their hearts. Here I will state there are some massive exceptions, Genge for one who IMO will walk back into the England team. His lap around Welford road when we blew Newcastle said it all for me. He will always be remembered as a modern player who would have shone in the halycon days.

There are others who measure up , but far too many that dont.

As for the Board , there are two who surely must disappear in Cohen and Glynn. You cannot oversee such an incredible decline and still be respected. Or maybe in 2018, you can ?!!

As for Geordie, he is an incredible servant to us. No question. But personally I believe he needs a experienced DOR like, ummm, Venter or similar, and some new Coaches , tied in with the new DOR.

Stanko seems to certainly doing his job scrummaging wise, but the rest of the forwards, oh dearie me....

Of course when Genge returns, maybe as last year, his inspirational play will cover over all the cracks, and we will enter 2019/2020 in just the same place..............

To me this is mirroring the Brexit Shambles
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

JP14 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:03 am Now is the time to really step, show the heart and desire from the Scarlets match.

1 Bateman
2 Kerr
3 Cole
4 Spencer
5 Kitchener
6 Williams
7 Evans
8 Kalamafoni
9 White
10 Hardwick
11 Olowofela
12 Eastmond
13 Owen
14 Thompstone
15 Worth
16 Youngs
17 Gigena
18 Cortes
19 Wells
20 Reffell
21 Harrison
22 Ford
23 Smith
We're doomed !!
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Chobbsy wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:14 am
JP14 wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:03 am Now is the time to really step, show the heart and desire from the Scarlets match.

1 Bateman
2 Kerr
3 Cole
4 Spencer
5 Kitchener
6 Williams
7 Evans
8 Kalamafoni
9 White
10 Hardwick
11 Olowofela
12 Eastmond
13 Owen
14 Thompstone
15 Worth
16 Youngs
17 Gigena
18 Cortes
19 Wells
20 Reffell
21 Harrison
22 Ford
23 Smith
We're doomed !!
That was for those of a certain age
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

fortysix wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:04 am JGriffin hi

Personally , how is that other Clubs seem to select some Johnny foreigner who immediately instals into their system a playing structure, and who also seems to have the players to follow it through.

Our purchasing has been , in the main, a literal disaster. Either a top salaried chappie with International get out clauses, or a succession of journeymen who have not got the legendary Tigers fire in their hearts. Here I will state there are some massive exceptions, Genge for one who IMO will walk back into the England team. His lap around Welford road when we blew Newcastle said it all for me. He will always be remembered as a modern player who would have shone in the halycon days.

As for the Board , there are two who surely must disappear in Cohen and Glynn. You cannot oversee such an incredible decline and still be respected. Or maybe in 2018, you can ?!!

As for Geordie, he is an incredible servant to us. No question. But personally I believe he needs a experienced DOR like, ummm, Venter or similar, and some new Coaches , tied in with the new DOR.

Stanko seems to certainly doing his job scrummaging wise, but the rest of the forwards, oh dearie me....

Of course when Genge returns, maybe as last year, his inspirational play will cover over all the cracks, and we will enter 2019/2020 in just the same place..............

Exactly, someone viewing Tigers in an objective manner would be hard pressed to disagree with any of these points made.

Stanko is the one coach who has come in and made a massive difference. Our scrum stats for attack and defence are the best in the league.

Bar him however most of the coaches have made little or no positive impact to the playing team or wider squad. Skills never improved under Murphy and looks to be something similar as head coach. Murphy was a great player and Tigers servant but no one can deny the cold hard truth in that it is increasingly looking like he isn’t the answer to turn things around.

Definitely respect him for trying to bring some younger players into the first team, but maybe we need some experience at the top.

Same with the player recruitment, yes there has been some quality signings with the likes of Genge, Holmes, Veainu etc. But for every success there seems to be two failures in signings such as J Ford, Gigena, Mapapalangi, Owen, Barrow, Malouf etc

Hopefully next season is shaping up better with Jones and Leatigaga coming in. But they need to be the start of a massive recruitment drive to get the squad in shape.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Leicestertinytiger wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:22 am
fortysix wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:04 am JGriffin hi

Exactly, someone viewing Tigers in an objective manner would be hard pressed to disagree with any of these points made.

Stanko is the one coach who has come in and made a massive difference. Our scrum stats for attack and defence are the best in the league.

Bar him however most of the coaches have made little or no positive impact to the playing team or wider squad. Skills never improved under Murphy and looks to be something similar as head coach. Murphy was a great player and Tigers servant but no one can deny the cold hard truth in that it is increasingly looking like he isn’t the answer to turn things around.

Definitely respect him for trying to bring some younger players into the first team, but maybe we need some experience at the top.

Same with the player recruitment, yes there has been some quality signings with the likes of Genge, Holmes, Veainu etc. But for every success there seems to be two failures in signings such as J Ford, Gigena, Mapapalangi, Owen, Barrow, Malouf etc

Hopefully next season is shaping up better with Jones and Leatigaga coming in. But they need to be the start of a massive recruitment drive to get the squad in shape.
I must have missed something...Jones and Leatigaga ????
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

Saracens team lastwek. It will be similar to this again.

Barrington, Woolstencroft, Judge, Day, Skelton, Rhodes, Burger, Wray, Spencer, Malins, Lewington, Barritt, Tompkins, Wyles & Goode.

Replacements, Joe Gray, Hayden Thompson-Stringer, Hisa Sasagi, Joel Kpoku, Calum Clark, Ben Earl, Tom Whiteley, Marcelo Bosch.

We will be something akin to this.

Bateman, Youngs, Cole, Spencer, Wells, Williams, O'Connor, Kalamafoni, Harrison, Hardwick, Olowofela, Eastmond, Owen, Thompstone & Holmes

Replacements: Kerr, Faeo, Cortes, Fitzgerald, Reffell, White, Ford, Worth

If we get anything from this I'll be surprised.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

Chobbsy wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:15 am
Chobbsy wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:14 am

1 Bateman
2 Kerr
3 Cole
4 Spencer
5 Kitchener
6 Williams
7 Evans
8 Kalamafoni
9 White
10 Hardwick
11 Olowofela
12 Eastmond
13 Owen
14 Thompstone
15 Worth
16 Youngs
17 Gigena
18 Cortes
19 Wells
20 Reffell
21 Harrison
22 Ford
23 Smith
We're doomed !!
That was for those of a certain age
Dad’s Army is timeless, I’m pretty sure must people on this forum got that reference.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

The performance is more important than the result, certain players need to stand up for a change....less mouth more action.
& if Hardwick doesn't start at 10 then you really have to question the coaches.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
Goshengareth

Post by Goshengareth »

I agree with fortysix. This is like the Brexit shambles - Voters (in this case Tigers fans) with little idea of what’s desirable, reasonable or achievable, and instead chasing unicorns.

Surely we need to learn that time is required. I do wholeheartedly agree the coaching team needs beefing up. I actually think GM selects the team well. I think we’d all love to see a Venter type character involved.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Goshengareth wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:27 pm I agree with fortysix. This is like the Brexit shambles - Voters (in this case Tigers fans) with little idea of what’s desirable, reasonable or achievable, and instead chasing unicorns.

Surely we need to learn that time is required. I do wholeheartedly agree the coaching team needs beefing up. I actually think GM selects the team well. I think we’d all love to see a Venter type character involved.
"A Venter type character". So not Venter but someone similar. So who do you suggest?
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

ellis9 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:08 pm
Goshengareth wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 7:27 pm I agree with fortysix. This is like the Brexit shambles - Voters (in this case Tigers fans) with little idea of what’s desirable, reasonable or achievable, and instead chasing unicorns.

"A Venter type character". So not Venter but someone similar. So who do you suggest?
Presumably anyone who will happily oversee us replacing all our local talent with journeymen foreigners and then serving up an awful brand of kick chase rugby in a win at all costs mentality.

I'd rather have a McCall style character, he's the one who has taken Saracens on and kept redeveloping them.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Still no actualite. Who should go, who will be the replacements? Otherwise it will be the golden horizons of Brexit.
Remember, most of us believe a proper defence coach and a consultant are needed.
Glynn I get, but the Cohen hobbyhorse mskes no sense. How has his coaching affected the team? It's the BoD that collectively bear's the blame.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95