OK Someone has to say this.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Re: OK Someone has to say this.

Post by Big Dai »

Just watched MOTD and City beating City. Two things one that game. Pace and unselfishness.

Maybe tigers lacked these two qualities today?
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

I am a little bit drunk... hubris... Sale played to the conditions. Proper response tomorrow....
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

I think that today's abject display highlights the fact that too many in this 23 man squad are simply not good enough . With our 1st choice squad we would probably beat Sale every time but how many of this lot really would get into our top team - not many i would suggest .We could have done with Harry Thackers enthusiasm - also he can throw in better than those 2 who had a go today !
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Huge disappointment yesterday. However, today I will try to balance things out. Although we only had 2 international absentees, who would start, given a full squad to choose from?

1: Ayerza
2: OTY
3: Cole
4: Slater
5:---
6: M Williams
7: B.O.C
8:---
9: YBY
10: O Williams
11: Veianu
12: JDV
13: Manu
14: Goneva
15:---

Missing 1st choice players. I've left 15 blank and put Veianu at 11 because we had Tait and Bell in the squad.
Ghiraldini and Roberts played their first games this season.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have done better or that we couldn't have won with that 23 but it would be obtuse not to consider the facts.

I've got my tin hat so feel free to shoot me down :smt002
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

What a shambles, I have seen more enthusiasm and skill in past Monday "A" league games than the Saturday display, Sale were more determined and had a stronger bench, ours was not fully used as they were not up to the challenge.
Certainly the worst performance since Bath & Irish defeats. Yes Tait tried to go forward but Sale led by Beaumont a great future England player they showed us how to play the conditions.
The scarified pitch did not help, those on the webcam have seen the deterioration over the past weeks.
The knives are obviously out for Captain Slater but we need to improve for Friday v Newcastle/ Goodey & the plastic pitch. Find the Faith!
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

L Smith wrote:Huge disappointment yesterday. However, today I will try to balance things out. Although we only had 2 international absentees, who would start, given a full squad to choose from?

1: Ayerza
2: OTY
3: Cole
4: Slater
5:---
6: M Williams
7: B.O.C
8:---
9: YBY
10: O Williams
11: Veianu
12: JDV
13: Manu
14: Goneva
15:---

Missing 1st choice players. I've left 15 blank and put Veianu at 11 because we had Tait and Bell in the squad.
Ghiraldini and Roberts played their first games this season.

I'm not saying we shouldn't have done better or that we couldn't have won with that 23 but it would be obtuse not to consider the facts.

I've got my tin hat so feel free to shoot me down :smt002
Also, another noticeable absentee was Thompstone who usually excels in those conditions.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

Looking back, I thought that a key area was the scrum half. Sale's was continually harassing Sam at the base, pretty much legally, when it was our ball. When the boot was on the other foot, we gave him a free ride. I believe that was to orders, and as the two packs were evenly matched, it is the little things that make the difference.
Sale dominated the line outs, with some help from the inept officials. So our normally sound set piece was below par.
Sale are a solid team, well coached, and were marginally the better side, and could have won by a lot more had Cipriani kicked better.
For whatever reason, our focus seemed not to be there, and I would have liked to see Kitchener get the armband when TY was not available. Incidentally TY went off once after a few minutes of warm up, I would think for treatment, came back after about 15 minutes to try again. This didn't work and he was an unhappy man when he finally came off.

It is not a disaster, just a missed opportunity.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Sale seemed to want it more and in the conditions played very well and with a steely dog that deserted us..
Their defence was superb. Like us, they could only play what was in front of them.
Let's admit it, although there wasn't that much between us and we were at home,
but their organisation and skill levels were superior and the best team won.
A life long Tiger
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

A poor game played in very poor conditions and abysmal officials, particularly at the lineout and breakdown.

Late disruption to any team can be upsetting to the game plan but I thought the back play was very predictable with little evidence of players running inside lines and drift attack being met by a solid drift defence. It was as if we had put the clock back 12 months.

Let's hope it is a one off and we get back to some exciting attacking rugby at Newcastle. :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

The interesting thing was when Steve Diamond came down with about twenty minutes to go, muttering in his mike that he though the Ref was having a poor game.
Sale were ecstatic with their win, and as they came off were clapping and thanking the tigers fans for their generosity in defeat!
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Noggs wrote:A poor game played in very poor conditions and abysmal officials, particularly at the lineout and breakdown.

Late disruption to any team can be upsetting to the game plan but I thought the back play was very predictable with little evidence of players running inside lines and drift attack being met by a solid drift defence. It was as if we had put the clock back 12 months.

Let's hope it is a one off and we get back to some exciting attacking rugby at Newcastle. :smt023
Oh Joy! A trip to the North East on a Friday night to confront old Tigers itching for a fight and with little respect for reputation. Throw a plaggy pitch into that mix and the future does not look good. I'm going to the "behind the sofa bunker" with a bottle of Remy.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
scrum1/2
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by scrum1/2 »

Surprised no-one has commented on the poor decision making too. In the second half we had a penalty which we elected to kick for the posts and Freddie hit the post - at the time (before the kick) I said to the fans around that I didn't like the decision and we should have gone for the corner and tried to get a rolling maul going - around 15 minutes later Sale had the same choice - took the corner option and scored the decisive try. In weather conditions where more kicks were missed than scored why attempt anything long or wide?? Lots to work on on Monday I think!!
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Feel Burns kicked poorly all match, drop outs far too long and he does not seem to tactically play for the corners just down the middle. How long till Williams back?? :smt017
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
Jon
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Jon »

Flat performance from star to finish. Made the long trip even longer. Hopefully see a reaction against Newcastle.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

All been said - too many average players in the squad, little fight shown today. Sale out muscled us in most areas and easily dealt with Tigers attack. Just stodgy dross - this will end up being a repeat of last season.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.