Toulon away leg

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Toulon away leg

Post by mike »

We will have to show a lot more threat in attack if we are going to get a result in Toulon . Toulon can hardly play as poorly as last week , particularly in front of their home crowd and if we just rely on a kick/chase game and penalties I suspect that will not be enough . For all the excitement of last week it is now 4 games since one of our backs scored a try . I too would have preferred Castro to be playing .
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

mike wrote:We will have to show a lot more threat in attack if we are going to get a result in Toulon . Toulon can hardly play as poorly as last week , particularly in front of their home crowd and if we just rely on a kick/chase game and penalties I suspect that will not be enough . For all the excitement of last week it is now 4 games since one of our backs scored a try . I too would have preferred Castro to be playing .
Did Toulon play badly or did they only play as well as we let them? They, after all, relied solely upon the Saffacenesque garryowen and chase, and they were nullified despite the threat of Habana. We GAVE them 12 points, remember.

More of the same this weekend and I will happily increase the turnover of Toulon's bars! :smt003
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

bit of both i thought, i don't think they expected the tigers to turn up in the way they did.

Does anyone know if DA has had any sanction brought yet?
cheers
Rich
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

mike wrote:We will have to show a lot more threat in attack if we are going to get a result in Toulon . Toulon can hardly play as poorly as last week , particularly in front of their home crowd and if we just rely on a kick/chase game and penalties I suspect that will not be enough . For all the excitement of last week it is now 4 games since one of our backs scored a try . I too would have preferred Castro to be playing .

I am sure that most of us would like to see more from the backs but this is hardly the week to experiment. Kick/chase or stick it up the jumper, this is all about the result. We are taking on the best team in Europe in their back yard.
parvacat

Post by parvacat »

Weather looks set fair.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2972328

Wish I was going :smt022
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Last week Tigers' aggressive defence rattled Toulon, I suspect we will need more of the same this weekend. Edge a few penalties in the lead and see if they have the leadership in the side.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

We have arrived, tried to wind up a few of their supporters today, especially as they are blaming the Arbitrator for losing them the game, I am quite happy to agree that Mr Owens is not my favourite either and never ever gives us any decisions, dont know how they could possibly blame him, ho ho ho :smt030 oh that vin rouge, ! Hic.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I don't see any reason to change the game plan or personnel from last week. The intensity of the defence is the key. If Toulon don't get started have a difficult first twenty minutes it will get inside their heads and mistakes will occur. It will be more difficult than last week because the players will be in a foreign environment and I do not expect the team to be made particularly welcome. Discipline will be key. I would expect and hope the referee has studied last weeks game and fully aware of some of the animosities from certain Toulon personnel and therefore be quick to stamp out any nonsense. Lastly, last weeks result actually gives us some leeway. Losing would not be the end of the world or to anyone outside the camp unexpected. Therefore, I don't see this as a pressure game for the players. A challenge and a game to be full on for yes. Go get em.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Looks like James O'Connor has been drafted in to help..

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,2588 ... 02,00.html

Start at 10 you think or will they remain with Sanchez?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TBH Mitchell was pretty poor I would start him on the wing maybe.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Teams:

RC Toulon

15. Leigh Halfpenny; 14. Delon Armitage, 13. Mathieu Bastareaud, 12. Maxime Mermoz, 11. Bryan Habana; 10. Nicolas Sanchez, 9. Sebastien Tillous-Borde; 1. Alexandre Menini, 2. Guilhem Guirado, 3. Levan Chilachava, 4. Bakkies Botha, 5. Ali Williams, 6. Juan Smith, 7. Steffon Armitage, 8. Chris Masoe (c)
16. Jean-Charles Orioli, 17. Florian Fresia, 18. Carl Hayman, 19. Mamuka Gorgodze, 20. James O'Connor, 21. Jocelino Suta, 22. Michael Claassens, 23. Romain Taofifenua

Leicester Tigers

Leicester Tigers

15. Matthew Tait; 14. Blaine Scully, 13. Matt Smith, 12. Anthony Allen, 11. Vereniki Goneva; 10. Owen Williams, 9. Ben Youngs (c); 1. Marcos Ayerza, 2. Leonardo Ghiraldini, 3. Dan Cole, 4. Brad Thorn, 5. Geoff Parling, 6. Jamie Gibson, 7. Julian Salvi, 8. Robert Barbieri
16. Tom Youngs, 17. Michele Rizzo, 18. Fraser Balmain, 19. Sebastian De Chaves, 20. Jordan Crane, 21. Tom Croft, 22. Sam Harrison, 23. Freddie Burns
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Cheers Jumbo.

http://www.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbych ... ineups.php

Two backs only on the bench. Definitely going for the forwards dominated game then :smt002

As predicted, no Castro. Shame in a way that he's apparently blotted his copybook. Gives an edge to Toulon and the crowd to act 'hurt' due to his absence.

No Kitch either. Guess he must've taken a harder knock (probably in that double hit in 2nd half) than thought. Big shame for him (and us - no offence intended Geoff Parling) as I thinnk the toulon surface and conditions would've reallly suited his running/carrying game.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Do I believe my eyes Barberi at 8 :smt003 :smt003 :smt003 this is the litmus test about whether he can be the 8 we need!

Come on Tigers and GO ROBERT!!!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Rotation at hooker as well as at 8, we will need some luck, but hey we can win this we have been bigger under dogs and won away before.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRRRrrrrssssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Guessing Cockers thinks it will be another dominant scrum.

Barbieri is a more powerful runner than Crane but struggles keeping the ball in a backwards scrum.