Re: Tigers Vs. Irish

Post by MelChannerFan »

Hamstring tweak apparently
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Wasn't that his recent injury too.....hope he's ok for the week after next.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

jgriffin wrote:Wasn't that his recent injury too.....hope he's ok for the week after next.
no he was concussed in his comeback game
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Awful performance, can't see how Tigers can score a try from open play at the moment. Backs performance dreadful, who is coaching them?
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

With the injury list this season it doesn't matter who coaches them! They will look and play as a cobbled together unit whilst they are a cobbled together unit.

Expectations must be lowered and support heightened. We may not qualify for HC next year (assuming there is one) We may not finish in the top four..........but the support must remain.

My only hope is young players gat a fair crack of the whip and we can build for the future. The likes of Thacker and Pohe need encouragement and development .....................or end up like 36 and Ford. Learn from this and move on!
Last edited by Big Dai on Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
barwelltiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by barwelltiger »

Even cobbled together backs should be able to score a try from open play! The coaching team needs to look at them selves cause that weren't good at all! Against the likes of sarries and stains we will get stuffed never mind Montpellier!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

we had a winger playing as a makeshift 13 bring Pohe (have Catchpole working with them too) at 13 all week in training alongside Bowden and I think it would look better.

When Goneva was playing at 13 earlier this season it looked a lot better then it does now
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

To be blunt Thompstone has looked a shadow of the player he was last season, I don't know why. Did Benjamin get a pass all game? They just don't seem to be able to pass the ball along the back line. Why is a player like Bowden taking the ball into contact, he just does not have the physique to do so. If that is part of the game plan then by all means bring in Pohe.
At the moment they seem to be playing like they still have Manu at 13, they need to adapt.
barwelltiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by barwelltiger »

drc_007 wrote:To be blunt Thompstone has looked a shadow of the player he was last season, I don't know why. Did Benjamin get a pass all game? They just don't seem to be able to pass the ball along the back line. Why is a player like Bowden taking the ball into contact, he just does not have the physique to do so. If that is part of the game plan then by all means bring in Pohe.
At the moment they seem to be playing like they still have Manu at 13, they need to adapt.

Well said :smt023
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Can someone actually praise the team for winning against a team where their forwards seemed to match ours in open play and where their back 3 looked dangerous all game. I was at the game and thought we never looked like losing despite them having a lot of possession. Hamilton was a calming influence and Benjamin put in some good tackles.

After two league defeats all I can say is well done lads!
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
ancientmariner

Post by ancientmariner »

No amount of injuries can excuse the number of missed tackles and turnovers today. Every time we took the ball into contact it seemed to come back on the Irish side. I hate to say it, but I reckon Salvi's lost his mojo - we just don't seem to compete for the ball at the breakdown. The Irish boys must be sitting in the changing room wondering how the heck they lost the game.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Big Dai wrote:With the injury list this season it doesn't matter who coaches them! They will look and play as a cobbled together unit whilst they are a cobbled together unit.

Expectations must be lowered and support heightened. We may not qualify for HC next year (assuming there is one) We may not finish in the top four..........but the support must remain.

My only hope is young players gat a fair crack of the whip and we can build for the future. The likes of Thacker and Pohe need encouragement and development .....................or end up like 36 and Ford. Learn from this and move on!
Really? We are 1 point behind 3rd and 8 behind 2nd. There's always a couple of teams that run away with it at the start of the season. Saints can't keep up this run of form and making up 8 points in 14 games is easily achievable. We will get in the top four, that isn't an issue. This is our strongest team in a long time and I think a lot of people will have to eat some humble pie come May. This was a poor performance, the forwards were good but the backs struggled. I don't think it was a lack of initiative because we did get it out quite often to the backs, I think it was more poor decision making. On multiple occasions Thompstone and Morris had the ball on the wing. They could have chipped ahead and chased to put pressure on the kick to gain yards, but they cut inside or made a poor pass. On one occasion Thompstone had Benjamin outside of him with no full back or covering player, Thompstone cut back in and was turned over. Situations like that where a kick for Benjamin to chase could have resulted in a try were what was wrong with that performance. To be fair though we won, that's all you can ask for at the moment. The game against Glaws will be interesting, our forwards should dominate and another week of training should help the backs gel. I don't know how anyone can say Salvi has 'lost his mojo', did you see the turnover he made in the first half? He made the cover tackle on Yarde at full pace, got back to his feet and won the turnover with 2 Irish forwards trying to get him off.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Salvi is being targeted so unless someone else steps up he will find it increasingly hard to effect turnovers
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Firstly a hard earned well deserved win against a very pacy and threatening irish back line. Our scrum was our only salvation, Thompstone squandered a clear overlap with Benjamin choosing instead to take contact and got the ball stripped from him . Benjamin never got the ball all match, we lost the ball to much in contact and they held us up to easily in the tackle.

With Smith gone we must surely splash some cash we simply cannot gamble away a season and I do not accept the current RC rational for not doing so which is "it takes weeks to get into our system ad we will have fit players back by then"
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

It was a much needed win.

It was also one of the most boring games I've seen at Welford Rd, if LI had actually believed in themselves then they could have won (oh and a scrum would have helped them as well!).

I know we have loads of injuries but that was a good side out there today and we looked ragged.

But as I say it was a win and we can and will build on it!!!
Soggypitch