Tigers v Quins (H) - Premiership - Saturday 11th November 2023 KO: 15:05

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers v Quins (H) - Premiership - Saturday 11th November 2023 KO: 15:05

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

IF, the rumours of a bug in camp were right, could it be some of the players who played weren't 100%?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Pre match .. I was worried about Jaspers match fitness, as he has hardly played for weeks. I was right to be concerned, he just looked a shadow of a player we know he is. It makes it even more odd that he didn’t play v Saracens. The more games he gets the better he gets and we need him up to full steam as soon as possible.
A few of the returnees didn’t have a great game apart for Pollard.
Some of our best performances came from guys who’d been playing for us all season .. I agree about Brown .. excellent again and I agree about Hurd .. proving very handy scrummager now and personally I think he has overtaken Heyes as a number 2 Tighthead. I also thought Cam Henderson had a good solid game and outshone Chessum.
Hopefully another week together in Tigers stripes, training together and maybe one or two more injured or ill players back will improve things. One thing that is unacceptable given or current league position is to lose the next game at home to those ghastly neighbours down the road.
nicmattyg
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by nicmattyg »

There’s no getting away from it, the results speak for themselves. The coaches can find positives in the review on Monday, but there’s only one thing that really matters here and that’s the results.

We’re one off bottom of the league again. Sarries are climbing back up the table, and we’re not.

Two dropped balls on their try line in try scoring positions is simply not good enough.

Every game is must win at this stage and that needs to be the mindset of this squad.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

I must say that for the first time in many seasons we did actually look threatening in attack and we shifted the ball out wide very quickly and it was a joy to watch. Perhaps the ball dropping in the backs is due to the fact that they are now playing a style of attack that is actually testing their core skills and which in some cases has been found out and clearly needs work. That said the structure is now there and holds promise for the future, we now need to hone it into a well oiled machine.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

So was Brown good or not?!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:23 am So was Brown good or not?!
Brown had a solid game.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Tigerbeat wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:34 am
Scott1 wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:23 am So was Brown good or not?!
Brown had a solid game.
Thanks,it’s like a hotel or restaurant review on here. Plenty of 1s and 5s but nothing in the middle!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

anz3001 wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:50 pm Defence wasn’t great but we all know Quins score tries.

Kata looked good, odd to take him off.

Cronin and Kelly don’t cough up at multiple key moments and that’s a bonus point win.

yeah, 'Quins score points...
But would anyone seriously argue that we are shipping far too many...

Concede 29 points at home and expect anything ??

Whilst I'm all for perspective , I'm also all for reality...
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Wellscity
Tiger Cub

Post by Wellscity »

Tigers not Tigerish
This season has highlighted same old problems.
Great players do not always make for a great team.
I am yet to be persuaded that we have the right coaching set up at Tigers.
Too many errors again yesterday and we are still making the same excuses and waiting for the turn around
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

Really disappointed to lose this one, but plenty of positives to hold on to.

Defence was poor, especially early on. Getting used to a new system perhaps?

Liebenberg didn't look his usual self (but the late knee to his head after scoring his try surely didnt help), and when Montoya and Refell are both unavailable we really need to have Ilione starting. No threat at the breakdown means the opposition don't need to commit numbers and they get quick, easy ball with plenty of players in the attacking line - that's never going to go well against a team like Quins.

The first two Quins tries came from field positions that were given by borderline refereeing decisions, in my opinion. No criticism of the ref, sometimes those calls go your way, sometimes not, but the scoreline could have looked very different. Marcus Smith was also very lucky that Liebenberg scored his try, otherwise surely it would have been penalty try and yellow for the intentional knock on.

On Marcus Smith, the commentators of course gushed about him, but using your undoubtedly magical footwork in your own 22 isn't much of a positive when your team gets turned over a phase later. He'll never be first choice 10 for Borthwick when he takes those sort of risks that concede points more often than not. His goalkicking was poor too, and to me he looks like Kolbe trying to play fly half - he'll do OK, but if his big strength is foot work, and has questionable decision making abilities and inconsistent kicking, shouldn't he be on the wing?

Dallaglio criticising the ref after the collision with Dombrandt is embarrassing, if we want to stamp out abuse of refs then the pundits and commentators need to set an example. Firstly, he should know the laws of the game if he's going to comment on them and, secondly, he should be humble enough to admit he's wrong when the law is subsequently explained to him, rather than continue to berate the ref for doing exactly what he was supposed to.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

It wasn’t just the backs who dropped the ball but the forwards too just didn’t look after the ball.
Next week will be another chance to put things right in defence, the line out and to vastly improve our concentration levels!
Being at Welford Road I thought Steward, Basset, Kata, Hanro,and Pollard were very good, Brown was good but Henderson, Cole, Chessum, and the rest just didn’t seem anywhere near top form.
Missed Reffel, Montoya, Heyes, OHC, Shilcock, Wells and Hatherall: I honestly believe if just 2 of those had been fit we’d have won.
Fair play to Quins as they took their chances well and finally, the ref was the worst I’ve seen for both sides but wasn’t helped by two inept touch judges.
Agree too that Smith was lucky that Hanro scored.
I think I’m beginning to look forward to cheering the lads on v Saints!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Early days yet, our tempo is up a bit, Youngs passing off the rucks is quicker and we are not yet gelling, first game for some players, a bit rusty so not in the "sack 'em all " stage yet.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Yorkietiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Yorkietiger »

Very disappointed with the performance yesterday. Our defence was porous, ball handling errors abounded, line out still a lottery, and under powered at the breakdown. That was a pretty average Quinns performance, but we made them look good. I do not think we exited cleanly once from a kick off having just scored ourselves, put us immediately back under pressure and conceding.

Some may come up with excuses why we are only one win in five (and frankly it could easily have been five losses without the last minute converted try at the Rec), injuries, missing players on international duty, blah blah blah. But the reality is our season is done, we are already too far behind to catch up given the reduced number of fixtures, and unlikely to do much in Europe given who we are up against.

You can dress it up anyway you like, but this is a results based business, and on that metric we are failing. Watching Stains on the tv this afternoon, we could be one win in six by this time next week unless we get our act together. That for me would be wholly unacceptable.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

tigerburnie wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:07 pm Early days yet, our tempo is up a bit, Youngs passing off the rucks is quicker and we are not yet gelling, first game for some players, a bit rusty so not in the "sack 'em all " stage yet.
I thought Youngs was slow and inaccurate passing off the rucks.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

sapajo wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 4:06 pm
tigerburnie wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:07 pm Early days yet, our tempo is up a bit, Youngs passing off the rucks is quicker and we are not yet gelling, first game for some players, a bit rusty so not in the "sack 'em all " stage yet.
I thought Youngs was slow and inaccurate passing off the rucks.
There were some Barnes Wallis jobs yesterday.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"