Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

BFG
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2018/19 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD PART 3

Post by BFG »

BlindTiger wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:13 pm BFG

Exactly!! He hasn’t been given an opportunity so how can you possibly say he doesn’t look at that level? Put him in a team with Spencer and Farrell or Care and Marchant or Youngs and Tuilagi. I’m pretty sure that would change your mind. You can’t do it all on your own....
That as well as a coach who can implement a decent game plan!

So tell me what his demands are BFG? Every person will look to get the best deal for themselves in any walk of life!

Players come and go at every club but Leicester need to hold on to this guy and the other young boys. They are the future of the club.
They are the future only if they are good enough.
He has been given opportunities, recently at 1st XV in the Premiership and Cup, before that A League and before that Loughborough, they all have and with not much foundation other than age grade credentials.
The club is doing right by them, the same needs to be returned for it to work.
I remember watching young Curry playing at amateur level for Sale down at Hinckley not that long ago, taking his clubs advice, working and waiting for his chance, and it came and he took it, then came a new improved contract.
You tell us the demands, if you are in a position to guarantee that he will start for three or four Prem clubs then there is no information that I can offer to improve your knowledge of it!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BlindTiger wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:50 pm
RagingBull wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:53 pm George Ford is not our marquee player and he isn't on 600,000 a year, he's on around £450,000.
Hi Raging Bull,

The club has two marquee players....

Are you telling me he went Leicester for less than he was On at Bath?
The young kids are getting shafted by Ged Glynn. It’s all smoke and mirrors and too many fans are buying into it.
Hardwick, Olwafela, White, Hayes and Reffel are all established 20s players. Clubs ARE champing at the bit for these young guys. Glynn is creating a smoke screen to cover up his troubles of recruitment.
Leicester are historically notorious for getting their young kids cheap and then the secondary board of The Youngs & The Fords collect the cash.
I’m worried as a fan about their influence on match day selection and what gets leaked to the press. :(
I know the club has two marquee players.
Manu and Toomua. Ford can't be marquee player yet as he was signed from a prem club.

I also know that Ford was desperate to leave Bath, (It wasn't exactly subtle it was in all the newspapers).
I also know Ford was on that much money at Bath.

The 600,000 figure that keeps getting mentioned was what Bath wanted to release him but Burns going cut that down by quite a bit, and not his wage.
Last edited by RagingBull on Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

BlindTiger wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:37 pm
With regards to Hardwick he is an asset and the club should be showing that they want to keep him. He wA MOtM in two games prior to Gloucester then he is benched for Ford! What sort of message is that sending is what I keep asking? I’ve always noticed Hardwick out signing autographs for the kids after games and even if he isn’t playing.
I think talking about his attitude is different to talking about his demands. You can’t question his attitude if you don’t know him and you then make your own assumption. There’s only three people that would have known about the NZ thing and Hardwick. So it’s pretty clear who is spreading the ....
80% going to be Hardwick, his dad or his agent (If he has one).
BlindTiger

Post by BlindTiger »

Yes he has been given opportunities in the cup where he turned out 2 MOTM performances as I previously mentioned.
He has had one notable appearance in the prem which was 50 mins v Newcastle.
Other appearance have been 13 mins or less! Can hardly call that a decent crack of the whip especially in a confidence position like fly half.
So basically you don’t know about any demands and you are eluding to the newspaper columns...

As I said in another thread would you want to renew your contract if Joe Ford was getting game time over you and then you were being brought on with 8-10 mins to go. I wouldn’t. There are no assurances at Leicester. There’s no definite answer of who is going to be the new head coach. If the rumours are true about Mike Ford then why would you want to stay and be third choice? There’s multiple reasons he may have not signed a new deal yet.....
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

BlindTiger wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:50 pm Yes he has been given opportunities in the cup where he turned out 2 MOTM performances as I previously mentioned.
Other appearance have been 13 mins or less! Can hardly call that a decent crack of the whip especially in a confidence position like fly half.
So basically you don’t know about any demands and you are eluding to the newspaper columns...

As I said in another thread would you want to renew your contract if Joe Ford was getting game time over you and then you were being brought on with 8-10 mins to go. I wouldn’t. There are no assurances at Leicester. There’s no definite answer of who is going to be the new head coach. If the rumours are true about Mike Ford then why would you want to stay and be third choice? There’s multiple reasons he may have not signed a new deal yet.....
I watched the odd game at Loughborough when Tigers were playing away and a few in the A League and to be brutally honest I thought he was one of the most average players on the park.
Not particularly threatening, limited strength, limited pace, it was really difficult to spot the awareness given the limitations but on the odd occasion a bit of space did appear he didn't see the same possibilities that I did.
I saw the same in that kicking the ball away on Sunday.
Positives were a bit of attitude and nice boot off the kicking tee, then he goes and misses his chance to impress at senior level.
As a playmaker lots of development still needed in my opinion.
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

BFG wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:05 pm
BlindTiger wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 6:50 pm Yes he has been given opportunities in the cup where he turned out 2 MOTM performances as I previously mentioned.

I watched the odd game at Loughborough when Tigers were playing away and a few in the A League and to be brutally honest I thought he was one of the most average players on the park.
Not particularly threatening, limited strength, limited pace, it was really difficult to spot the awareness given the limitations but on the odd occasion a bit of space did appear he didn't see the same possibilities that I did.
I saw the same in that kicking the ball away on Sunday.
Positives were a bit of attitude and nice boot off the kicking tee, then he goes and misses his chance to impress at senior level.
As a playmaker lots of development still needed in my opinion.
Hardwick reminds me a lot of a young Owen Williams, big boot and good physicality, but seems to lack pace and an attacking instinct.

Compared to the likes of other young fly halves coming through like Malins, Smith and Grayson, doesn’t seem to be in their league. Will be a good squad player, but can’t see him being anything more.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Have to confess I havent seen Hardwick long enough BUT
If he doesnt possess pace, what is all the fuss about ??
Let him go, a fly half with zero pace is a waste of money. This modern game is all about big boshers balanced out with electric pace. Otherwise you end up, ummmm, exactly where we are at the moment...
DingDong
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by DingDong »

...ummmmm - you mean with a fly half thats good enough for England and the British & Irish Lions?
MikeR
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by MikeR »

He has got pace and an attacking instinct - only 20 and will get better - already better than last Sundays starting fly half .
Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

MikeR wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:30 am He has got pace and an attacking instinct - only 20 and will get better - already better than last Sundays starting fly half .
That is damning with faint praise!
To win is not as important as playing with style!
TTRITH
Super User
Super User

Post by TTRITH »

Just an observation - whoever has "leaked" the information about Hardwicks contract - has seemingly turned posters on here against each other (not hard!), but also heaped the pressure on the player.

I know the board get a lot of stick, mostly deserved, but I don't like the fact that something like this has been leaked. I could be wrong, but I can't see what player and/or agent get out of leaking the fact that he's demanding £130k to the press.
Richard Burnett
:axe: :smt100
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

TTRITH wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:14 pm Just an observation - whoever has "leaked" the information about Hardwicks contract - has seemingly turned posters on here against each other (not hard!), but also heaped the pressure on the player.

I know the board get a lot of stick, mostly deserved, but I don't like the fact that something like this has been leaked. I could be wrong, but I can't see what player and/or agent get out of leaking the fact that he's demanding £130k to the press.
A pay rise. They will be hoping Tigers either pay him that much or meet in the middle (ish) and he may get offered £100k. Also, by putting it out there, other clubs get to know and they may come in with an offer for him.
chewbacca
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chewbacca »

Many organisations regard salary as confidential and expressly forbid disclosure to others including colleagues. One would hope that management had the same conditions imposed on them. I'm not sure of the objective of such a disclosure. Are the club seeking a straw pole from a limited number of supporters such as those on this forum, are they seeking to disaffect supporters in respect to the player. Who knows. Whatever is agreed then it will either be acceptable to both parties or the player will go elsewhere. I'm not concerned how much we pay players as long as we get the players we want/need within our resources and the conditions of the governing body. Such speculation is pointless and potentially disruptive.
I'm not cynical just experienced
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

I think it’s a dangerous route the game and club is going down I regards to this. It happens all the time in football, player wants more money, told it’s not happening and then tells the press who in turn splash it over the news. I am a firm believer that contract talks should be done behind closed doors and not used to facilitate more interest from other clubs. This will and is probably the normal now, but I don’t like it. It means players can hold the club to ransom (not saying Hardwick is, as I have no
Knowledge about it) and then leave if they don’t get what they like. Yes, Rugby is now professional, but I like some of the amateur values to remain. We could have the same with Manu when his contract is up. We cant just replace him at will, as who else is out there and wants to come to us??? Agents do their best for their players, but I believe the club has to do what is best for the club. We will still be Tigers when MT goes back to Australia and will survive.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
BlindTiger

Post by BlindTiger »

Just catching up on the posts...

I’m just trying to put some ideas out there of what may have happened. I highly doubt a young player would have spoken to the press saying they aren’t giving me £130k. I have it on good authority that it was much less and this is something that’s been out out there. I don’t trust Ged Glynn just by the way he has gone about previous business at the club. The flip side is the club have released an increased figure so the backlash falls on the player. It seems a bit strange That he was in matchday 23 and when this has come around the club have dropped/benched him.
I’ll just have my last tuppence worth on him as a player...watching him
For the u20 and the limited games he has played this season is that he draws the defenders on to him which is exactly what you need when you you have two game breakers at centre. If you turn the hips of the 3rd and 4th defnder then it will open up holes. He carries the ball to the gain line which would bring our centres in to play more and allow the release option out the back.
I hope it can be sorted amicably but as I say I highly doubt this is the player or his agent releasing this especially as he is of such a young age.