Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by sam16111986 »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:58 pm
longlivethecrumbie wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:54 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 5:38 pm Lozowski would be a good addition, I like Simmonds but he isn't a goal kicker
Simmonds isn't a goal kicker? His kicking record last season was phenomenal. He kicked a ridiculous number of consecutive kicks either last season or the one before and has missed 24 out of the best part of 200 in all competitions over the previous two seasons. I'd take 88(ish)% from the tee any day of the week.
whenever I see Exeter playing Slade is doing the kicking that's what I base that on he might be at that percentage but how many kicks is he actually taking? I wouldn't know
Slade has been kicking this season because Baxter seems to have decided that Harvey Skinner is going to play 10 despite showing mediocre form and no ability off the tee. When Simmonds plays he kicks.

If we're recruiting from within the league Simmonds would give us the closest thing to Ford immediately. I'm not sure he'll hit the highs but he's a classy operator.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

JP14 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:07 pm
Old Hob wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:05 pm By the way, who is Fissler?
A nobody who thinks everything of himself.
So where would I find his pronouncements?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:19 pm
JP14 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:07 pm
Old Hob wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:05 pm By the way, who is Fissler?
A nobody who thinks everything of himself.
So where would I find his pronouncements?
https://twitter.com/neilfissler/status/ ... rI_IA&s=19
CrumblingTerrace
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by CrumblingTerrace »

Being a fan of a club is a huge emotional investment. We clap and cheer when George's name is announced over the PA before each game, when he makes one of those trademark delayed passes, when he slots his kicks.

We argue his case for England selection with fellow Tigers fans and anyone who will listen. We respect his professionalism.

We welcomed him back. We took him on as one of our own.

So no, this isn't a transactional thing for me. I'm hugely disappointed. Another Premiership club? Again?
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I've never really bought into the whole George and his Dad narrative but, if he is off to Sale it's getting harder and harder to dismiss...

2013 George and Mike both join Bath
2016 Mike leaves Bath, George leaves at the next possible opportunity
2019 Mike joins George at Tigers, despite having to take a role that seems beneath him given his experience
2021 Mike leaves Tigers, George leaves at the next possible opportunity to move to the club closest to where Mike lives?

Can it really be about money? Were Bath and Sale offering that much more than Tigers? Hard to argue that he has much more of a chance of silverware from either move?

:smt017

Oh well, it is what it is, if it is.... Lozowski or Simmonds please, but I'm unlikely to argue with anything that Borthwick does at the moment - unless he re-signs Joe Ford. :smt018
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Why not Freddie Burns, who's a very capable player, and bring on young Lancaster?
Semper in excretia
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Robespierre wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:11 pm Why not Freddie Burns, who's a very capable player, and bring on young Lancaster?
I agree, we have history of not planning for the future but I'm confident that has changed since SB arrived. I don't think I'd fancy my chances against him at chess!
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Are the likes of Simmonds and Lozowski available and out of favour where they are?
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

Gutted by the news if true and seems likely to be.
I would go after Lozowski, goalkicking aside I’ve never been that impressed by Simmons.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

90% sure lozowski isout of favour, he's not out of favour BUT he's second fiddle 10 behind Faz.
Depends if he wants to play 10 outright like he did in Monte for a bit.

Simmonds 60% out of contract and Baxter seems to be unsure of between him and Skinner, IMO you would never start your fav 10 in a position they have never started before in the prem if you were 100% for them.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I suppose the good thing is any decent 10 who is available would jump at the chance to come here now!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

anz3001 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:17 pm Are the likes of Simmonds and Lozowski available and out of favour where they are?
Lozowski is out of contract I believe
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Think Tigers will go outside the league for high quality. Sure Borthwick will have something lined up. It is arguably the biggest challenge in any squad recruitment.

George also brought his brother back with him in 2016 as his understudy and he was out of his depth. It’s clear family is very important to him but following them round like this is a bit unusual in professional sport.

Sale with Ford will be a far better team but as we know the key thing is coaching and I don’t rate Sanderson based on what has happened since he arrived.
Downsouth

Post by Downsouth »

So Sale would have Ford and Manu outside the cap... that can't leave a lot for the rest. Maybe we can sign Curry and or Lood.....I'm not sure who their Marquee player is tbh. For any decent fly half in the world, replacing Ford would be a fantastic opportunity
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Who knows about any rumoured departure. Until confirmation it is just a rumour.
That said
1. A lot of salary would be freed up. Not an insignificant problem in keeping various other players.
2. It isn't as if the cupboard is bare at FH.
3. The attraction of coming to Tigers with the current coaching team, players and recent record ought to be high enough to secure a like-for-like replacement if one were needed.
So, I'm pretty chilled about this...if the rumours are true
Last edited by markharbtiger on Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.