LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by ABClub »

What are your thoughts on second rows RB?

Would you still like that Kruis type upgrade for the starting XV? Or stick with what we've got, get Martin playing lock more and spend that cap on a carrier in the back row?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:22 pm Also on my Moroni point, if he's off too would people agree that a direct replacement wouldn't be the best place to spend his cap?
Difficult isn’t it, if he was to leave with possibly Socino and Van Wyk as well, and just Gopperth arriving at present we may be a little light. Would maybe depend on the Ashton situation and Cusick’s development
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Be nice to grab another player who could play 12/13 if Moroni left and don't forget Pollard can play 12 too. Not that I'd ever really want to see that unless it was a last resort. I thought we were sniffing around a Welsh centre anyway
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Hughes is a 13 right?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:40 pm Hughes is a 13 right?
He’s more a 12 who can play 13.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:22 pm Also on my Moroni point, if he's off too would people agree that a direct replacement wouldn't be the best place to spend his cap?
Personally if he goes I'd think part of his cap should be spent on an outside centre but not a starter

12 Kelly/Gopperth/Scott/(Socino)/Lancaster
13 Scott/Porter/Cusick

This assumes Taute will retire, plus Socino may go too.

We have to consider Kelly on the radar of England for next year.One injury plus Kelly away and we may be scraping a little at centre.

I'd like us to go for a backup 13 rather than a starter so could still free up a chunk of cap if we get a reasonable price replacement.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

ABClub wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:27 pm What are your thoughts on second rows RB?

Would you still like that Kruis type upgrade for the starting XV? Or stick with what we've got, get Martin playing lock more and spend that cap on a carrier in the back row?
Prob the latter now unless Borthwick had Kruis eyed up for a coaching role in the future.
If he wasn't such a mainstay in the La Rochelle team would love to bring in Liebenberg's brother, mind speaking of Brothers wonder when Cobus contract is over.
Dokie wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:43 pm
Other way round in terms of number of appearances in positions.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Ideal then,thanks
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:54 pm
ABClub wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:27 pm What are your thoughts on second rows RB?

Prob the latter now unless Borthwick had Kruis eyed up for a coaching role in the future.
If he wasn't such a mainstay in the La Rochelle team would love to bring in Liebenberg's brother, mind speaking of Brothers wonder when Cobus contract is over.
Was thinking the same thing Sale do seem to be turning some 2nd rows round
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Sale fans seem to think Cobus is in contract. From what I can find Wiaan is out of contract at La Rochelle though. I've suggested him as a good potential signing before with Brink leaving.

Everything's gone quiet on Kruis. I'd be surprised if he doesn't return to the Premiership next year.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

ABClub wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:26 pm
I keep flopping back and forth on this. On the one hand Scott and Porter are strong 13s, Gopperth a good signing at 12. On the other I do think our tendency to leave points on the pitch and not finish chances recently is linked to Moroni being absent. He's so good at doing the basics in attack and defence.

If he we spent his cap elsewhere I'd ideally want it to be on a winger with electric finishing to improve how clinical we are after creating chances.

First choice would be retaining Moroni though. I think he's an absolutely fantastic player.
Totally agree. I'm a huge fan of Moroni. Not a slight on our other centres but I think we're even better with Moroni in the side, he's the best of a strong group.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Ignore the stats. He fills in regularly for whoever is away with Wales or injured. If he’s played 13 more, it’s been as cover for Jon Davies. His natural position is 12.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

Postiger2 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 9:40 pm
ABClub wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:26 pm
I keep flopping back and forth on this. On the one hand Scott and Porter are strong 13s, Gopperth a good signing at 12. On the other I do think our tendency to leave points on the pitch and not finish chances recently is linked to Moroni being absent. He's so good at doing the basics in attack and defence.

If he we spent his cap elsewhere I'd ideally want it to be on a winger with electric finishing to improve how clinical we are after creating chances.

First choice would be retaining Moroni though. I think he's an absolutely fantastic player.
Totally agree. I'm a huge fan of Moroni. Not a slight on our other centres but I think we're even better with Moroni in the side, he's the best of a strong group.
I very much agree
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Sam Lewis was a gem in my opinion …saw him-at Loughborough before his Tigers debut and caught up with him in Italy on some clips tonight …hopefully worthy of a recall one day ! I heard Hardwick was above himself ? Is that true ?
KiwiTig
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by KiwiTig »

Who is out there that could play 12/13 ?
I do really think that Whitcombe will be ideal to replace Gengey …we don’t need a like for like we just need to adapt the way we play and recruit accordingly ..