LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by johnthegriff »

When Cocker announced things like Manu will be back in a couple of weeks (possibly based on medical advice) he was accused of lying if the player did not make the expected recovery. Just a couple of weeks ago Steve Borthwick stated that Freddie Burns had been substituted because of injury, people not at the match decided that was a lie and that it was a reflection of how Burns was playing, the truth was that Freddie had been playing well and he was injured. With fans like that who can blame the club for saying nothing, there may be rumours based on no information but they will not grow as quickly as ones with a small element of truth.
MVS as most fans are aware suffered a bad concussion against Bristol on Boxing Day which came shortly after previous concussions, protocol suggests that he needs three months out but in fact I suggest he will be back only when the medics decide he is fit to return therefore no relevant information until he is close to fitness.
Tactically it is good to keep the opposition guessing, Nadolo has been out for awhile, we did not know when he would reappear neither did Northampton, they may have practiced all week on the assumption that he would be absent and he is a player that can change any teams defensive plans so the announcement of the team may just have caught them by surprise too late to change their own selection and tactics.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

Some very good points there. I suppose a middle ground could be what some teams so and issue a 'not available for selection' list each week with no further detail. I guess the downside of that is that it would then make clear who has been dropped and who is out of favour and that would not do wonders for moral.

On the balance of probablities, I think the current way of staying silent is best as I suspect whatever is done will cause internet gossip and consternation.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

I would love to know who is injured and projected return dates, BUT, I think it is none of my business to know about the health of others unless they want to tell me. However, what I do not like is being told xxx has signed for us by the other club. Gopperth was announced by Wasps as having signed for us in January "The veteran Kiwi's rumoured exit after seven years was confirmed last month with his next destination being Leicester Tigers". I have no reason whatsoever to doubt the truth of this statement issued on Saturday but cannot get my head around the reason for the delay in it being announced by us. It is when it is out there and we are slow or very slow to confirm it, but then, who am I to be told???
Hehehehehehehehe
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

trendylfj wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:57 am I would love to know who is injured and projected return dates, BUT, I think it is none of my business to know about the health of others unless they want to tell me. However, what I do not like is being told xxx has signed for us by the other club. Gopperth was announced by Wasps as having signed for us in January "The veteran Kiwi's rumoured exit after seven years was confirmed last month with his next destination being Leicester Tigers". I have no reason whatsoever to doubt the truth of this statement issued on Saturday but cannot get my head around the reason for the delay in it being announced by us. It is when it is out there and we are slow or very slow to confirm it, but then, who am I to be told???
I think that is just the modern way. The PR and Social Media teams want the most publicity for the club that they can get and so they want to time the announcement , release player statements, tie it in to a 'popcorn' day etc. At least we hold back on our announcements so as the other club can announce the departure. We have been forced into rushed comment twice already this season by what I suspect are other clubs leaking departures at times when they need a positive PR Boost. Coming off the back of a big derby win, the club does not need a PR boost at the moment and may be finalising other deals to make it a day of announcements.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Does anyone think we will replace Genge or has Whitcombe done enough to prove he's a starter next season? Or still early days?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Although Whitcombe is a good prospect I think he needs another season with regular game time to be considered a fixture in the match day 23. Would suggest we need a top class prop as lady ga ga might be off and don’t think Van Wyk is the answer.
A2O
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I think a replacement for Genge is needed. Whitcombe is doing well but would probably be better off with at least another season without the pressure of being first choice. Van Wyk has been ok but nothing special, Leatigaga not a starting prop for me if he is still around next season.

Depends on the cap though, doesn't it? It wouldn't be catastrophic to go into next season with Whitcombe, Van Wyk and a couple of squad backups/youngsters/projects.

I imagine that if we had talks with Marler then we are definitely looking for a decent replacement for Genge.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

By the fact it appears Marler had chats at Oval Park, it appears the club is certainly considering Prop as an area to review.

Our Prop depth is: (only counting those with a senior appearance for us)

LH:
Genge
Whitcombe
Leatigaga
Van Wyk
Richardson

TH:
Cole
Heyes
Hurd
Leatigaga

Genge is off we know. Leatigaga is probably 50:50, the rest are probably all staying.

We have Hoyt, Rowntree & Smith in the development squad. Not seen much of them but they need a transition to senior squad at very least so I'll put them to ones side.

IMO you need a minimum of 7/8 props to cover a season. 7 of them requires one at least to cover both sides. To my mind Whitcombe is just about showing he would be ok as starter, though I'll wait till he's played the likes of Sarries and make a call from there

If Leatigaga stays we're just about covered, but we are light at Tighthead.

We should have cap space for a decent signing. Personally I'd look for a good Tighthead who can cover Loosehead (eg De Bruin who I've said before)
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I’ve said it before and not sure of his contract status but what about Ben Moon for a season or two?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GB72 »

I guess this year may be a bit of a waiting game as teams take stock of what they can afford under the cap with some having to replace bigger names with cheaper alternatives. May leave some better options on the table later in the season and not just those currently out of contract.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

If Whitcombe can handle Koch then I’m pretty happy with him being first choice.

By handle I mean not give up a penalty every scrum
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

Richardson took Koch apart at scrum time in the championship. Wouldn’t count him out as being a good option at LH too. We’ve looked fine with Whitcombe in the first XV and will only get better.
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

johnthegriff wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:20 am When Cocker announced things like Manu will be back in a couple of weeks (possibly based on medical advice) he was accused of lying if the player did not make the expected recovery. Just a couple of weeks ago Steve Borthwick stated that Freddie Burns had been substituted because of injury, people not at the match decided that was a lie and that it was a reflection of how Burns was playing, the truth was that Freddie had been playing well and he was injured. With fans like that who can blame the club for saying nothing, there may be rumours based on no information but they will not grow as quickly as ones with a small element of truth.

Tactically it is good to keep the opposition guessing, Nadolo has been out for awhile, we did not know when he would reappear neither did Northampton, they may have practiced all week on the assumption that he would be absent and he is a player that can change any teams defensive plans so the announcement of the team may just have caught them by surprise too late to change their own selection and tactics.
Entirely agree. I'm surprised at some of the oldies on here as we generally are much more private. If it is helpful to player and club then tell us; if it isn't , don't.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

For me, it's just that I'm interested. I suppose nosey if you'd prefer, but I think I'm just inerested in what happening with the players , as I'm intersted in other things that go on around the club.

End of the day if we're winning then everyone is happy, but this forum would be a dull ass place if people don't have things to talk about. Players possible injuries is just one of those topics of conversation fans have. Same as in every other sport in the world. Its just that our conversations don't take very long any more, as we sod all to talk about.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Scott1 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:19 pm Does anyone think we will replace Genge or has Whitcombe done enough to prove he's a starter next season? Or still early days?
For me he isn’t far away not just his scrummaging but all round play.
The proof of the pudding will be to see how he gets on without Montoya and/or Cole in there with him.
A gnarly Bok loosehead to share the workload with for a season or two would do the job. After all that helped Genge and Cole progress