LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Faulks04
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Lord of the Mauls

Post by Faulks04 »

Blackett confirmed Gopperth coming to tigers . No surprise but surprised he’s said it before it’s officially announced
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Reffell is in a more competitive position than Sheedy or LZR is the simple answer I think. With their injuries Wales are so short on the wing that Cuthbert got a recall today. At 10 they have had a huge falloff after Biggar ever since Anscombe's injuries.

If Reffell was putting in the same level of performances in a position where Wales have less depth he'd have likely been called up despite not being available for all their training camps. Wales were missing Tipuric, Navidi, Faletau, Botham and Young but still had Wainwright on the bench!

Jac Morgan looks a cracking prospect and I thought had a really good game. Taine Basham had one of his poorer games so far for Wales but has put in some really good performances prior. I thought Moriarty had a very strong game today too. The Welsh back row depth is excellent.
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

Faulks04 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:10 pm Blackett confirmed Gopperth coming to tigers . No surprise but surprised he’s said it before it’s officially announced
Unusual, for sure. Very happy with that confirmation though. Gopperth should fit into the squad very well I think. He's still a top class player.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ABClub wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:19 pm Reffell is in a more competitive position than Sheedy or LZR is the simple answer I think. With their injuries Wales are so short on the wing that Cuthbert got a recall today. At 10 they have had a huge falloff after Biggar ever since Anscombe's injuries.

If Reffell was putting in the same level of performances in a position where Wales have less depth he'd have likely been called up despite not being available for all their training camps. Wales were missing Tipuric, Navidi, Faletau, Botham and Young but still had Wainwright on the bench!

Jac Morgan looks a cracking prospect and I thought had a really good game. Taine Basham had one of his poorer games so far for Wales but has put in some really good performances prior. I thought Moriarty had a very strong game today too. The Welsh back row depth is excellent.
Faletau back for Bath today, agree re Basham but he was at 6 to accommodate Morgan, and from all accounts was the only welsh forward who put his hand up against the Irish
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Faulks04 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 8:10 pm Blackett confirmed Gopperth coming to tigers . No surprise but surprised he’s said it before it’s officially announced
Bit :censored: really.

Sounds like we did some smart business and bounced before wasps notice Gopperth still had plenty in the tank at least
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Could have a backline of, Youngs, Burns, Nadolo, Gopperth, Scott, Muri, Ashton. :smt017 Wow, pensioners day out. :smt005
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Fissler saying Borthwick is interested in London Irish Backrower Olly Cracknell

Putting it in the Op as now the 3rd time I’ve heard the rumour
TigerMac3
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by TigerMac3 »

From what I’ve seen on Cracknell (not that much!) he’s a big physical lad. Interesting that he left Ospreys for more game time but would then want to move to a Tigers team with an ultra competitive back row. Could only see him playing a ‘filler’ role when the first choice lads were available
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I guess with Hughes coming into Irish, he might feel he will get more game time with Wiese being gone for the first 3 months.
I certainly feel our recent back row injury/suspension toll opened the coaches eyes a bit to how light our back row carrying options is looking.
Hanro had his fair share of injuries so far
Who knows what's happening with Marco it doesn't look great
Wiese has a target on his back from league officials now

I do think Brink left a hole (Not saying he was the answer he's out with injury at the bulls currently)

Also Cracknell is EQP which would be a nice bonus.
Dokie
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dokie »

TigerMac3 wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:18 am From what I’ve seen on Cracknell (not that much!) he’s a big physical lad. Interesting that he left Ospreys for more game time but would then want to move to a Tigers team with an ultra competitive back row. Could only see him playing a ‘filler’ role when the first choice lads were available
He had a lot of game time at the Ospreys, with players injured or with Wales. He’s much more a back up player than a starter at a top club.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:29 am I guess with Hughes coming into Irish, he might feel he will get more game time with Wiese being gone for the first 3 months.
I certainly feel our recent back row injury/suspension toll opened the coaches eyes a bit to how light our back row carrying options is looking.

I do think Brink left a hole (Not saying he was the answer he's out with injury at the bulls currently)

Re MVS first of all I’m sure everyone hopes that he has no long lasting health concerns, rugby comes a distant second. After that if there are any long lasting concerns for his injury it gives some weight to the Ben Curry rumours
Leicestertinytiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Leicestertinytiger »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:29 am I guess with Hughes coming into Irish, he might feel he will get more game time with Wiese being gone for the first 3 months.

He definitely has that physicality and the ability to cover 6&8 which we need. We know Wiese will be away with SA and Hanro can’t be expected to play every game. Plus I’d imagine Martin and Chessum playing more in the second row next season. Wonder if we keep Robinson around too.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I guess it all depends on what is going on with the 2 opensides really.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

Bit worried about MVS as not played for a while especially with his history of concussion . Regarding Reffell don’t think he is anywhere near the Welsh squad and would he want to leave a team on the up to join a welsh region with little chance of winning anything.
A2O
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:13 pm Bit worried about MVS as not played for a while especially with his history of concussion . Regarding Reffell don’t think he is anywhere near the Welsh squad and would he want to leave a team on the up to join a welsh region with little chance of winning anything.
Agree on both counts