Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by Rugbygramps »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:11 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:54 pm Possibly our recollections of Moroni are a little clouded. He will be 33 at the end of the season, was not a regular starter during the World Cup and doesn’t always start for Falcons.
IMO he wouldn’t be an upgrade on any of existing 4 senior centres.

There have been some successful moves from wing to centre recently, could we consider maybe moving OHC. Inside one ?
I wouldn't say Nayacalevu is ahead of Porter or Scott though either. I personally don't see there being much difference Moroni and Nayacalevu either, both are similar age after all. Whenever Falcons have played well in the last two years, more often than not, Moroni has been at the heart of it and his try saving tackle in the WC against Wales was a beauty.

I wouldn't be moving OHC either, he is the best finisher in the club. Wing is by far his best position. Ollie Thorley would be a better bet if we wanted a wing/centre option IMO.
All excellent points especially regarding Nayacalevu and Thorley
Tiglon
Super User
Super User

Post by Tiglon »

I didn't realise Moroni was that old TBH.

Thorley was excellent against Bath, such a powerful runner. If he played for a different club he might have quite a few caps by now.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Tiglon wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:56 pm I didn't realise Moroni was that old TBH.

Thorley was excellent against Bath, such a powerful runner. If he played for a different club he might have quite a few caps by now.
Like Thorley in my mind similar type of player to Bassett though he got 1 cap in 2020. Don’t know if it was rotation but LRZ was on the bench with Thorley and May starting at the weekend.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:31 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:28 pm
PAW2 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 12:40 pm

Agreed. He makes a significant difference when he plays and whilst we have 4 very capable centres (Scott, Kelly, Kata, Porter), we have seen thsi year you are only 2 x absences away from being threadbare.
Scott leaving would we assume be to allow the Fijian international captain that's been (tenuously) linked with us to come in.
Heard a whisper on the grapevine that we are looking to sign a 13 for next season. Personally think that can be filled by letting Phil C leave and using the uplift in salary cap to fund a decent level 13. Phil C just has not played in the two years he has been here so it makes sense to let him go. I would offer an olive branch out to Moroni personally - i know he wasn't happy with how he left, so it would be unlikely, but I would be back in touch with him to find out.

On a separate topic, i had a look over the press release for Tom West signing for Sarries last season. It very much comes across like it was only a one year deal. I wonder if there is an opportunity to go back in for him? He's had a tough season at Sarries but was brilliant for us here and proved himself to be a decent scrummager. I'd be interested in making that move if he is available.
Link is here, see what you think about the wording - https://saracens.com/tom-west-signs-for-saracens/
'The Whisper' has foundation .... a centre will be arriving

Will break no confidence , however.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

kk20gb30 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 4:45 pm

Scott leaving would we assume be to allow the Fijian international captain that's been (tenuously) linked with us to come in.
Heard a whisper on the grapevine that we are looking to sign a 13 for next season. Personally think that can be filled by letting Phil C leave and using the uplift in salary cap to fund a decent level 13. Phil C just has not played in the two years he has been here so it makes sense to let him go. I would offer an olive branch out to Moroni personally - i know he wasn't happy with how he left, so it would be unlikely, but I would be back in touch with him to find out.

On a separate topic, i had a look over the press release for Tom West signing for Sarries last season. It very much comes across like it was only a one year deal. I wonder if there is an opportunity to go back in for him? He's had a tough season at Sarries but was brilliant for us here and proved himself to be a decent scrummager. I'd be interested in making that move if he is available.
Link is here, see what you think about the wording - https://saracens.com/tom-west-signs-for-saracens/

Any clues so we have guesses
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Appreciate you can’t break on your source, but can you say if it’s a bigger name departure and a bigger name signing? 🤔
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Its not the same rumour mill as the Gregor Townsend one is it? :smt005
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Worse than saying nothing
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:40 pm Its not the same rumour mill as the Gregor Townsend one is it? :smt005
:smt044 :smt044
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I was in the Swan in Mountsorrel just before Christmas and over heard a guy saying he'd been in a taxi and the drivers mother in law had recently been to Euro Disney and heard someone on the train say the name Gael Fickou and Tigers in the same sentence......

But then apparently my niece's friends hairdresser also saw Jordie Barret at Grimsby Fisheries* last week.....

*Is that even still there? I haven't been that way for a while.

(One or more of these rumours may not be completely true.)
Last edited by ads on Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

ads wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:58 pm I was in the Swan in Mountsorrel just before Christmas and over heard a guy saying he'd been in a taxi and the drivers mother in law had recently been to Euro Disney and heard someone on the train say the name Gael Fickou and Tigers in the same sentence......

But then apparently my niece's friends hairdresser also saw Jordie Barret at Grimsby Fisheries* last week.....

*Is that even still there? I haven't been that way for a while.

(One or more of these rumours may not be completely true.)
My, how we miss the late Bill W and his taxi drivers friends uncle to keep us all informed :smt044
anz3001
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by anz3001 »

Huge Moroni fan, sad to see him languishing where he is.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I'm still scratching my head re Porter being in OZ, yes I know possibly about injury/family etc, but I think he was probably catching up with his very close house mate Potter. He may be missing his rooming mate after they moved to a larger house, and taken by surprise by Harry leaving, But I dont know who he now shares with as its further up the road from me. Harry may have found him a club in OZ, I dont think Guy has eyes on playing for OZ soon but my gut tells me he is no longer required by England and wants the OZ life style. He has lost some form, been criticised and possibly "smells" another centre coming in? Time will tell.
Its purely speculation on my part, no evidence, no proof, just gut feeling.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:23 pm
AViewFromLe2 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:11 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 2:54 pm Possibly our recollections of Moroni are a little clouded. He will be 33 at the end of the season, was not a regular starter during the World Cup and doesn’t always start for Falcons.
IMO he wouldn’t be an upgrade on any of existing 4 senior centres.

There have been some successful moves from wing to centre recently, could we consider maybe moving OHC. Inside one ?
I wouldn't say Nayacalevu is ahead of Porter or Scott though either. I personally don't see there being much difference Moroni and Nayacalevu either, both are similar age after all. Whenever Falcons have played well in the last two years, more often than not, Moroni has been at the heart of it and his try saving tackle in the WC against Wales was a beauty.

I wouldn't be moving OHC either, he is the best finisher in the club. Wing is by far his best position. Ollie Thorley would be a better bet if we wanted a wing/centre option IMO.
All excellent points especially regarding Nayacalevu and Thorley
Moroni is an intelligent centre but Nayacalevu is as well, he's also bigger, stronger and quicker. His form at the world cup was such that Nayacalevu was mentioned in world cup team of the tournament in places like Planet Rugby. He's been pretty durable as well with 20+ games for each of the last three seasons. Moroni is generally one of the best defensive centres but he isn't as good in attack, Nayacalevu offers a lot ball in hand as well as a decent defender.

Mason Grady and Rio Dyer would be high on my list of targets if possible. Dyer is happy on the right wing, Grady can play 13 and wing. The Welsh Regions are struggling financially. Now would be a good chance to target some of their better talent. I'd take Josh Adams as well.
Tigersunited

Post by Tigersunited »

The cap increasing may be a red herring, as mentioned, we probably can’t afford to spend up to it, and, the reality of players resigning will get offered more elsewhere so we have to increase their contract to compete = we pay more for the same player. Players will leave to make the room for those incoming, which I reckon in addition to Phil C will be Porter.