Tigers v Saints (H) - Premiership - Saturday 18th November 2023 - KO: 15:05

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Saints (H) - Premiership - Saturday 18th November 2023 - KO: 15:05

Post by Postiger2 »

Lots of room for improvement, but a decent performance. Still lots to work on in both defence and attack.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Remy time.

Main worry (For me) is the lack of attacking ability in the backs. It's all a bit one two bump! Forwards look good, capable and balanced.

On this afternoon's commentary, was it not a bit "Saints this Saints that Saints the other." There was a team in green on the pitch, wasn't there? Who won?

The number of times the Mrs said "Belt up Austin!" And it wasn't road safety advice
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Big Dai wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:19 pm Remy time.

Main worry (For me) is the lack of attacking ability in the backs. It's all a bit one two bump! Forwards look good, capable and balanced.

On this afternoon's commentary, was it not a bit "Saints this Saints that Saints the other." There was a team in green on the pitch, wasn't there? Who won?

The number of times the Mrs said "Belt up Austin!" And it wasn't road safety advice
Yeah usual one-sided rubbish, although even Monye said at the end we deserved it!
I thought the backs have started to look better, I'm glass half full!
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Austin always takes the anti tigers message. Hogg speaks sense but after the week he has had I’m not sure I want to look at him on my tv screen. I am sure many will disagree!
Redstripeman

Post by Redstripeman »

This was a must-win game and we pulled it off. Reffel man of the match and lives up to the plaudits, but we are so poor in tackling. If you are going to constantly tackle from the side, players are going to slip out of any tackle and make ground which they should not have gained.
Players either are not on the same wavelength as Porter or he is unaware of what is around him. Too many times he had a man on the outside and he looked to come inside into traffic. Hanro's quick thinking at the end to secure the try sealed it, we just do not have the intelligent players in this team for any kind of success.
We won a game which we could so easily have lost, by the insane decision that we made from kick-offs, if they had made that try in that second half after previously going over with a soft try, I could have seen this team (Tigers) being blown away.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

I like Austin, I find him very balanced, same with Kay commentary was all Saints as they had most of the play
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Phew. Must win game won. But not short of things to work on, and we seem to have one or two players who seem a bit...out of sorts.
If we can get some of the injured players back and make sure in-form players start, then we might win a few more games yet :smt001
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

We won that game largely because we prevented them getting their wide game going. Far from perfect but a massive improvement, I can see we are trying to play with some invention, building on solid foundations. All the pack both starters and finishers were excellent. Our backs looked sharp and, apart from Porter butchering that chance we were pretty good.
It's clear, when you listen to what McKellar says that he has a very distinct vision of how we will play once all the pieces fit in place.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Bossed them physically, at the set piece and at the breakdown.

So many of their players were smashed up, limping, hobbling etc (Furbank, Smith, Hutchison, Pearson, Moon, Langdon) just by the sheer physicality we played with.

Porter looks like he’s either the one playing exactly as asked by Dan McKellar or the one playing another system entirely. Not sure which!

Once we got on top it was only our mistakes that let them back into it (Wiese going alone and some poor individual tackling) but we never quite clicked ball in hand.

It felt like it was the first game proper of this season and if we can kick on from here with Montoya, Dolly, Martin in particular to come back in then it’ll be an interesting 6 months or so as the ceiling is pretty high for this squad.
Greenwhiteandred
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Greenwhiteandred »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:31 pm I like Austin, I find him very balanced, same with Kay commentary was all Saints as they had most of the play
About as balanced as Humpty Dumpty - criticised us for not playing music at every break in play. God knows what he’s going to say when he finds out Rock Bottom aren’t playing 😂
baz1664
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by baz1664 »

Youngs was shocking today, inaccurate passing, clueless decision making and just a lack of ability to get the backs moving. We have a world class fly half and a scrum half who has is going down hill rapidly.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Maybe I'm missing something, but I genuinely didn't think Lenny had a bad game today. Yes, there was the one iffy kick towards the end but I thought he was decent.

On a separate note, did anyone spy our backs coach on the paddock today?
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Nice to win a game at last but yet again we switched off when we should have gone for the jugular. Ben Youngs was very inaccurate passing off the base in prime attacking positions and it's become a habit and kept kicking the ball away. Porter I despair he seems to be on a completely different page to the rest of the team it's embarrassing. Positives were great scrum, defence and our kicking game. Line out went AWOL yet again at critical times.
We strangled Saints at the breakdown and that was very impressive. We did not use Basset and OHC nearly enough and our attack is still a work in progress. Still a win is a win especially against Saints
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Youngs didn't have his best game, but was the best scrum half on the pitch.

Mitchell was charged down about 3 times in 4 box kicks at one point.

Greasy day meant both struggled for accuracy from the base.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

:smt054 iYoungs seemed to be looking for the glory break even if other players were placed.
Mindless kicks through when overlaps were there.

Overall Reffell made a huge difference from last week where we lacked a 7.

Heyes destructive in the scrum.

But a lack of ruthless edge was apparent. Conceded a soft try when they had 2 in the bin.
One caused by yapping and getting marched back.