Guess your England RWC squad of 31

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Guess your England RWC squad of 31

Post by L Smith »

Sajerj wrote:The only tournament success England have had in the last twelve years has been with a rugby league convert twelve. MJ in in his wisdom replaced him with Tindall and then Flood in the 2011 RWC with abject performances against Scotland and France.
shontayne Hape? Really?
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

L Smith wrote:
Sajerj wrote:The only tournament success England have had in the last twelve years has been with a rugby league convert twelve. MJ in in his wisdom replaced him with Tindall and then Flood in the 2011 RWC with abject performances against Scotland and France.
shontayne Hape? Really?
Hapless!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Bill W (2) wrote:
L Smith wrote:I just worry that SL might just be in situ as an obedient frontman who isnt completely free to select who he wants. There's something iffy about the whole Burgess saga (based on nothing more than the faint stench of a rat) :smt011
Oooh! What are you suggesting? Sarries and Bath's omfluence is all pervasive?
May well be. May just be the suits at HQ. I can't help but wonder what assurances Burgess was offered and by whom,in terms of representing the red rose. Burgess may have been perceived as a significant marketing tool for the world cup (until he actually switched codes, that is). I'm not rubbishing him as a player but for me he hasn't earned his spot, yet.
Last edited by L Smith on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

L Smith wrote:
shontayne Hape? Really?

Indeed. The only English number twelve to have won a six nations championship since 2003. Started all five games of the 2011 tournament.

Actually, MJs decent period went from the summer of 2010 in Australia, to the end of the the 2011 six nations. I think Hape started every game in that period having made his debut on the Australian tour in the first test. He actually won back to back tests against Australia home and away.

England were garbage under MJ either side of that period.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Sajerj wrote:
L Smith wrote:
shontayne Hape? Really?

Indeed. The only English number twelve to have won a six nations championship since 2003. Started all five games of the 2011 tournament.

Actually, MJs decent period went from the summer of 2010 in Australia, to the end of the the 2011 six nations. I think Hape started every game in that period having made his debut on the Australian tour in the first test. He actually won back to back tests against Australia home and away.

England were garbage under MJ either side of that period.
Well, I guess he didn't win the games by himself and, of course, it's great to have a different opinion on such things but I can't say he ever really stood out.
Last edited by L Smith on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Of course I don't have any inside information, I just try to read sensible newspapers and note some of the comments coming out. I thought from the original title we were being asked to guess the final 31 that SL would select, not post a fantasy team or a Christmas wish list. :smt017
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Chris Ashton also arrived in the same period and scored a bucket load. I think Lawes also came through.

I don't think Hape ever stood out as such but he was a good player. Scored a lovely try at WR during that 2011 season in a 24-24 draw.

Prior to to Hape, MJ was going with players like Gerahty, Enrinle, and Flutey at twelve. Then in the WC he went with Tindall and Flood at twelve to make room for Manu.

England were awful prior that period. Record home defeats in the AI,s. In 2010 six nations they took five points from five games, and scored six tries. They were dreadful. Ditto the WC.