Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2023/24 - Crocodile McKeller: Men at Work

Post by Chobbsy »

AViewFromLe2 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:50 pm
ay2oh wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:04 pm
sapajo wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:50 pm

Agreed and I sincerely hope he is on a short and very cheap contract if not I fear we are going backwards on recruitment.
Going backwards due to one signing ha ha ha.
It really is amazing how desperate some people are to stick the boot into the club at any given moment. The reality is that we've made 11 signings, all of which look sensible and cover the gaps created, yet due to one signing having possible question marks we're going backwards apparently.

As it goes, i think we have pretty much nailed recruitment this summer. The squad that has been assembled so far, IMO, looks better one than the one assembled at the start of last season which probably shows the team in charge of it are doing a good job. Get a prop sorted and I think that would be the final piece of the jigsaw nailed tbh.
Any more to come do we realistically think or is that it now?
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

jgriffin wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:09 pm
johnthegriff wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:41 am When Williams first signed for us I was quite excited, I had seen him play for Worcester and was impressed. The squad assembled after that with Mauger influence although I think Ged Flynn and Simon Cohen had considerable input, included Brendan O'Connor, Fitzgerald, Spencer and Bateman non of whom would get near our match day squad today. The injury to Denton meant we hardly saw him play and he could have made a difference.
The Williams we have signed this month is not of great potential, he is what he is, a very useful experienced squad player able to cover lock and across the back row. A versatile player for the bench, I would not like to see him selected ahead of either of the Chessums, Martin Henderson or Manz but he could be an option to rotate or manage their minutes. I would hope Mike is thinking that's all wrong, I am after a first team spot and I will challenge them for selection. Welcome back Mike Williams.
Oh dear,John, BO'C was a cracking player! Please don't just blame Mauger, MOC or Geordan - blame the Board who led Cockers into the morass of cheap players and spent ideas. OK, blame MOC, he was truly awful. :smt005. The way was lost when the Board lost its way - as PT admitted.
ABC-Anyone But your very dear Cockers 😂👍
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

:smt004 :smt004 Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:58 pm
ay2oh wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:55 pm Really looking forward to seeing the new signings especially OHC, Hatherall and Shilcock.
Agreed. I think Rogerson will prove to be a very shrewd signing too
I agree with you Rugbygramps: you are clearly a fine and intelligent person! :smt004
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

The club deserved all the stick they got during the latter stages of Cockers right through until we got Borthwick. They have since got a grip on proceedings and, IMHO, deserve everyone's full support. There will always be one or two signings that don't work out as planned ie: Saumaki (I had real hopes for him!) same for every club.
Let's just suppose that in all what was going Mike Williams was a real worker and in all probability (mainly due to injury) didn't get a real chance to show what he could do in a decent squad. Give the bloke a chance! Also give the coaches/management the chance to show that not all signings need to be 'stars'. As remarked elsewhere, squad depth is key!
TiigerTom

Post by TiigerTom »

I've had a crack at the potential 23/24 Academy squad, I'd expect many of these lads to be based at Nottingham, Loughborough or elsewhere on dual reg deals unless they get a promotion to the senior squad.

In age order with year of birth (Eng U20s, new signings/graduates):

1 Miell 04
2 Vanes 01/T-Thomas 03/Clarke 05?
3 Hoyt 03/Crane 04/Mountford 05?
4-6 T Manz 01/Carmichael 03/L Chessum 03/Carnduff 04
7-8 Koroiyadi 04/J Manz 04/Perkins 05?
9 Edwards 02/Allan 04?
10 Walsh 02/Meredith 04/Threlfall 05?
12 Woodward 04/Myall 05?
13 Cusick 03
11/14/15 Browning 01, Daniels 04, Kinder 05?, Satala 05?
Promoted to senior squad: Ilione 02

The only England U18s without a Prem club were loosehead Will Conduit at Midlands West (ex-Worcester) Academy and Yorkshire hooker Alfie Longstaff. Are we aware of any other U18 prospects I've missed? Have we heard any whispers about an Academy competition?
Last edited by TiigerTom on Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Really hope Ilione gets included in the senior squad soon, but our back row looks pretty well stocked without. Maybe less so given international absences?
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Needs to stay fit

I feel if he stays fit he will get chances even if it’s a bench option.

I would think Starkey would get a senior contract surely?
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Doesn’t Ilione have to juggle his studies with playing which may well make it hard to be full time at Tigers. Playing and doing most of his training with Nottingham may well work better with being at medical school in Nottingham. Contrary to the government’s latest idea of shortening medical training, the latter part of that course are essentially full time with much reduced holidays compared to most corses.

He may well not be able to play full time for another year or two.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

markharbtiger wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:04 am Really hope Ilione gets included in the senior squad soon, but our back row looks pretty well stocked without. Maybe less so given international absences?
Whether they are in the Senior Academy or the Senior squad, is nothing to do with what teams he plays in it's to do with cap allocation. Personally I'd be very happy if we can have a 1st team regular in the Senior academy, as it gives us more cap space in the main salary cap.

The seperation between Senior squad and Senior Academy is just where cap is allocated to. Is Illione can be kept in the Senior Academy it is beneficial to the club.

For example Freddie Steward had 23 appearances for us in the 20/21 season as a member of the Senior Academy.

I think his first international cap came on the 4th July, so he was a Senior squad player for only 4 days when he was first capped.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
TiigerTom

Post by TiigerTom »

RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:08 am Needs to stay fit

Think he's unlikely to break through past 3/4 capped senior locks and the England U20s (L Chessum, Carmichael, Carnduff)...BUCS seems as a good route as Academy rugby to a pro career these days with the fallback of a degree to boot...
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Did I dream it or weren't we supposed to have signed a South African prop, second row, back row superstar in the making?

if I haven't dreamed it, it seems to have gone very quiet
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Miell. In the senior academy.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

fentiger wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:10 pm The club deserved all the stick they got during the latter stages of Cockers right through until we got Borthwick. They have since got a grip on proceedings and, IMHO, deserve everyone's full support. There will always be one or two signings that don't work out as planned ie: Saumaki (I had real hopes for him!) same for every club.
Let's just suppose that in all what was going Mike Williams was a real worker and in all probability (mainly due to injury) didn't get a real chance to show what he could do in a decent squad. Give the bloke a chance! Also give the coaches/management the chance to show that not all signings need to be 'stars'. As remarked elsewhere, squad depth is key!
Agree totally.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 10:50 am
markharbtiger wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:04 am Really hope Ilione gets included in the senior squad soon, but our back row looks pretty well stocked without. Maybe less so given international absences?
Whether they are in the Senior Academy or the Senior squad, is nothing to do with what teams he plays in it's to do with cap allocation. Personally I'd be very happy if we can have a 1st team regular in the Senior academy, as it gives us more cap space in the main salary cap.

The seperation between Senior squad and Senior Academy is just where cap is allocated to. Is Illione can be kept in the Senior Academy it is beneficial to the club.

For example Freddie Steward had 23 appearances for us in the 20/21 season as a member of the Senior Academy.

I think his first international cap came on the 4th July, so he was a Senior squad player for only 4 days when he was first capped.
You are right but I don’t think I said or implied otherwise. And of course the current set up may well suit the player. I was thinking more in terms of his career development: I was presuming he’d prefer to have a senior squad contract. I’d prefer that to be at Tigers and not elsewhere!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

TiigerTom wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:46 pm
RagingBull wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:08 am Needs to stay fit

Think he's unlikely to break through past 3/4 capped senior locks and the England U20s (L Chessum, Carmichael, Carnduff)...BUCS seems as a good route as Academy rugby to a pro career these days with the fallback of a degree to boot...
I feel that’s a pretty shortsighted take though surely?

The academy needs to be constantly producing since we never know when a player may leave or get injured or whatever.

If the club think they are good enough get them on a contract.

If in 3 years time he can’t break through then at least we tried.

I feel Carnduff is going to end up a legit 6 more than a lock