LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sapajo
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by sapajo »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:12 am
sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:07 am
RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:28 am Rugby paper suggesting Nadolo is off and potentially going to play for the drua
I thought Nadolo had signed a contract extension ?
He's in contract but Contracts don't tend to mean much if a player wants to leave especially for family reasons.
Fair point just hope we have someone in mind to fill the massive hole he will leave? The only winger that has been rumoured was Radwan but I thought he was under contract?
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2021/22 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACTS: Aled Walters and the Philosopher's Stone

Post by sk 88 »

MurphysLaw wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 3:14 pm Wasn't one of the main reason's for Gigenga's departure to Irish because he is classed as 'overseas'?
If Tigers occasionally juggle with this, I am always bemused by how many of the LI teams are non-epq players, and how many at least appear as if they are from Aus/Argentina/NZ.

On another tack - watch for Henry Arundel today - he has been one of the standout players in the U20s , with some serious speed. Will be interesting to see how he goes at this level.
No, you are thinking of Blake Enever.
Gigena 100% had an EU passport, fairly certain it was Spanish.

On the others, Moroni is an Italian name & Italy passport laws only require direct descent, there is no limit on generations so I think it is pretty likely that he holds an Italian passport.

As an aside, when he was at Exeter Nadolo (or Nasiganiyavi as he was known then) was registered in error with his Australian passport rather than his Fijian one and Exeter accidentally fielded too many foreign players on that basis. It is such a stupid rule, they should just scrap it.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Love this!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:15 am
sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:07 am

I thought Nadolo had signed a contract extension ?
He's in contract but Contracts don't tend to mean much if a player wants to leave especially for family reasons.
Fair point just hope we have someone in mind to fill the massive hole he will leave? The only winger that has been rumoured was Radwan but I thought he was under contract?
If Nadolo was to go I would want someone that could more fit his crash ball (Or at least be a physical option) aspect.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:23 pm
sapajo wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:15 am

If Nadolo was to go I would want someone that could more fit his crash ball (Or at least be a physical option) aspect.
Do you think Saumaki could do that job. At 6ft 3 and nearly 17 stone he’s no Nadolo but not small either
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Saumaki reminds me of Thorley a bit.
Could do the job certainly a threat but I would fancy a forward to put him down with not that much of a issue on a crash ball line. His strength usually from what i've seen at Tigers and his highlights is the ability to power past through a mix of size and acceleration any one v one's with the opposition 13/winger.

He's not the quickest winger or the biggest (Despite his height and weight stats) but he has a balanced mix of both.

Reality is finding someone who offers Nadolo threat is really next too impossible.

I think out of all the squad Porter is really only one who might fill in that role more.
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Post by ay2oh »

I think Saumaki would do the job especially given a bit more game time to improve his reading of he plays
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Nadolo has really bought into the Leicester Tigers family. Unfortunately when you're from the other side of the world there are a lot of ways family issues can tug people back home. That added to tge fact Fiji Drua now exists it also means he has a team there he may leap at the chance to represent.

Nadolo may have only been here 2 and a bit seasons but he really does epitomise the Borthwick era and would go with our blessings, just hope IF he leaves that he takes some silverware with him!
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
Postiger2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Postiger2 »

I'd hate to see Nemzy leave, he's a real crowd favourite and one of those guys you just love to watch. However, at 34 years of age, you'd think it'll probably have to be now or never in terms of playing for Drua.

He's pretty much irreplaceable. The closest we've got on these shores is maybe a fit Joe Cokasinga?
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Postiger2 wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:28 pm I'd hate to see Nemzy leave, he's a real crowd favourite and one of those guys you just love to watch. However, at 34 years of age, you'd think it'll probably have to be now or never in terms of playing for Drua.

He's pretty much irreplaceable. The closest we've got on these shores is maybe a fit Joe Cokasinga?
That’s a very good shout, but the key word there is fit.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:51 pm Saumaki reminds me of Thorley a bit.
Could do the job certainly a threat but I would fancy a forward to put him down with not that much of a issue on a crash ball line. His strength usually from what i've seen at Tigers and his highlights is the ability to power past through a mix of size and acceleration any one v one's with the opposition 13/winger.

He's not the quickest winger or the biggest (Despite his height and weight stats) but he has a balanced mix of both.

Reality is finding someone who offers Nadolo threat is really next too impossible.

I think out of all the squad Porter is really only one who might fill in that role more.
Walter Fifitia up at Glasgow? Ten years younger and not quite the same weight but still north of 8 stone and 6ft5 though he's not really made a splash there as of yet.

Saumaki has a lot of acceleration for a big bloke, not sure he uses his weight as well as he could in contact. He's got bags of potential to be a really dangerous player but what you get with Nadolo is the refinement, he's been there and he's done it. The bloke is class and knows exactly how to maximise his strengths.
DeadlyDunc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by DeadlyDunc »

Nadolo is irreplaceable as he brings that unique set of skills to a wing position. Reading the Mercury article it mentions the rumours without addressing it so I think Nadolo will go back to Aus/Fiji at the end of the season.

Unfortunately for us he’s going to be hugely missed - We’ve not had someone like him since Alex Tuilagi and it is often a difference maker in matches. Yes, May was far quicker but you have to create space / a chance for him whereas Nemzy can create from nothing.

As space becomes an ever bigger premium with more mobile forwards covering greater areas of the field, having a winger that can drag 3-4 defenders in and be able to drop it on his foot in the blink of an eye, off load out the tackle or generate quick ball off slow ball is pretty unique and I think will force us to change / tinker how we play.

When he’s not here I think we’ll realise how good his is but I’m sure SB will say with change comes an opportunity for someone else and they’ll have to step up.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

I mean if we wanted to try and go like for like take a risk on Naiyaravoro at Saints and see if he will take to us like Nadolo has
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Also Gopperth starting 12 for Wasps today