Team for Exeter

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Wayne Richardson Fan Club
Super User
Super User

Re: Team for Exeter

Post by Wayne Richardson Fan Club »

At worst Exeter should have to beat us, not us to hand it to them by our play....that in itself would be an improvement.
To win is not as important as playing with style!
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

I love the fact that we've not played for months, got a new, very well respected head coach in, a new backs and defence coach, a load of new players etc and we've not set foot on the field yet since the break and on the basis of the side selected some are bemoaning the selection and putting us down for a 20 point defeat. Some things may have changed but the negative attitudes of many out there in social media and forum land are still in the same negative bubble!

New start, new era - can we all be a bit more positive, please?
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

All we want to see for the rest of this season are much improved performances and see Tigers have a real desire to win even at places like Exeter. Make every team know they have been up against a tough,80 minute, battling side.
All teams have recruited well for the remainder of this season and into the next season.
At home we had, before Lockdown, begun to look stronger and so I hope we beat every team at home.
Good luck to all teams over the next few weeks and let’s hope no team picks up serious injuries.
It’s great to be able to watch Tigers again even though I’ll miss not going to the games.

Lastly, please can we have less use and time wasting by the TMOs.
It was great to watch the England World Cup win in 2003 to see the game flow due to no TMOs!
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:04 pm never really a fan of a 6-2 split on the bench but it the plan is have the back row go all out then ring the changes I suppose is need to be done
Absolutely this. I really dislike it as a selection approach, seems negative.

Tomorrow for me is all about intent rather than result. If we show grater intensity and urgency, I’ll see that as a moral win. The results will come eventually with a solid approach on defence and some dynamism in attack.
Traveller
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Traveller »

Tiglon wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:45 pm It would be nice to see signs that Borthwick has been able to fix the long-standing lineout problems. Yes, their back three is stronger than ours, as is their outside centre, but our 9,10,12 combo is top drawer and we should be able to compete up front.

It feels a bit strange, but my only emotion going into this match is one of curiosity - is this the beginning of a bright new era? On paper our team looks weaker than pre-lockdown, but I wouldn't be surprised if the performance is stronger.
That's a sharp observation. IMO.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Traveller wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:50 pm
Tiglon wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:45 pm It would be nice to see signs that Borthwick has been able to fix the long-standing lineout problems. Yes, their back three is stronger than ours, as is their outside centre, but our 9,10,12 combo is top drawer and we should be able to compete up front.

It feels a bit strange, but my only emotion going into this match is one of curiosity - is this the beginning of a bright new era? On paper our team looks weaker than pre-lockdown, but I wouldn't be surprised if the performance is stronger.
That's a sharp observation. IMO.
Agreed. This time tomorrow, we will have some indication as to whether it is or not
ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ABClub »

FrontRowUnionMember wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:44 pm
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:04 pm never really a fan of a 6-2 split on the bench but it the plan is have the back row go all out then ring the changes I suppose is need to be done
Absolutely this. I really dislike it as a selection approach, seems negative.

Tomorrow for me is all about intent rather than result. If we show grater intensity and urgency, I’ll see that as a moral win. The results will come eventually with a solid approach on defence and some dynamism in attack.
I really like the 6-2 split when it's used well. As seen with South Africa under Erasmus it can be used for real impetus and physicality in the loose going into the final quarter. In the Prem it's often been a sign of team that's looking for a turgid arm wrestle, but it can be used for attacking purposes. I'm hoping that Borthwick isn't trying to engage the Chiefs pack in an arm wrestle so I'm optimistic there's some attacking intent there.

Both our starting and bench front rows are very good. If Borthwick can get the line-out functioning on top of a strong scrum then building field position and keeping possession should become much easier. Particularly with international half backs.

I'll be interested to see what model the lineout uses. When Borthwick ran the Japan lineout they often cut numbers and used a lot of movement - to great effect. When he ran the England forwards they largely kept most their forwards in the lineout but often threw predominantly to one jumper (Kruis or Lawes usually) with limited movement just trusting the players to execute their basics - also great effect.

I'm really hopeful that we will see the best of Calum Green under Borthwick. He hasn't been at his best yet this season but for a lineout lock it will be ideal to be working with one of the best lineout coaches in the world.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

ABClub wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 12:22 am
I'll be interested to see what model the lineout uses. When Borthwick ran the Japan lineout they often cut numbers and used a lot of movement - to great effect. When he ran the England forwards they largely kept most their forwards in the lineout but often threw predominantly to one jumper (Kruis or Lawes usually) with limited movement just trusting the players to execute their basics - also great effect.

I'm really hopeful that we will see the best of Calum Green under Borthwick. He hasn't been at his best yet this season but for a lineout lock it will be ideal to be working with one of the best lineout coaches in the world.
At the backend of last year a couple of us asked Taf what the problems were with the lineout:

"Over-complication, mate. That's it - over-complication."
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Random question

Are we wearing the new kit, or is that being saved till the new season.

I'm guessing we'll still be in the Kukri kit as it's still that season, though I guess it's down to what the contract states is it dates or is it seasons? I notice they're just wearing the new stuff in practice now?
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

Agreed. I don’t expect a sudden turnaround in form as these things take time, and players will all be a bit rusty, but we might see some improvements. Using the remaining games of the season - which really don’t matter - intelligently to build the foundations for next year is probably the only aim.
JP14
Super User
Super User

Post by JP14 »

We will be wearing the fluro-red 19/20 change kit, the new 20/21 kits won’t be worn until next season I suspect, although we will be probably be training in the new Samurai gear.
Formerly of Burbaaage (not Inkleh), now up north at uni
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

chewbacca wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:01 am
jgriffin wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:30 pm
happywomble wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:13 pm Quite proud that Tigers are one of the three teams to take a knee for BLM

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/rug ... 66911.html
And quite pleased that the topic once again highlights those who don't support the removal of racism from our society by helping those who suffer racist abuse and worse. Don't give me the bull about it not happening, I have recent examples from Lichfield and Ashbourne where people are abused in the streets.
Lets not pretend that racism is a one way street. Walking back from a game at the Ricoh I was informed by a very black woman who objected to cars parked on her street that she ":censored: hated white people". Its wrong whatever colour you are.
The last paragraph is the important one. Racism is not one sided. When with the police I suffered a huge amount of abuse from non white people. Even kids of three or four would shout racist abuse when passing their homes. All races of people have huge amounts of racists within their ranks., so lrt's not forget that.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

if BT do with the Rugby as they did with the football, the BT Sport 1 feed will have fake crowd noise, however they were offering, via the red button, an option with no fake crowd noise, I presume they will still be doing this
Dangerous4
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dangerous4 »

I anticipate the usual drubbing Exeter deal out to us. We are putting out a weak team, but I guess SB is testing some of the youngsters this weekend.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Dangerous4 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:15 pm I anticipate the usual drubbing Exeter deal out to us. We are putting out a weak team, but I guess SB is testing some of the youngsters this weekend.
isn't it pretty much full strength from those available, Nadolo was always said to be a couple of week behind so makes sense he isn't ready for this