World Cup Squad Announcements

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: World Cup Squad Announcements

Post by sam16111986 »

Scott1 wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:34 pm The yellow card bunker system used in SR will be introduced for the RWC. I didn't catch any Super Rugby this season but was this process used for ALB blatant red card and after the 10 minutes of looking it was still deemed to be a yellow?
It's being used in the under 20 world cup. Ref gives a yellow card and then the TMO gets 10 minutes to review the decision. Worked well in the England Vs Ireland game with the Fisilau high tackle. It was left at a yellow card which was probably correct but removing the pressure from the referee kept the game moving and stopped any potential snap decisions.
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

It would be nice to celebrate our players making World Cup squads WITHOUT being concerned as to how we’re going to survive without them in the premiership…
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

markharbtiger wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:32 am It would be nice to celebrate our players making World Cup squads WITHOUT being concerned as to how we’re going to survive without them in the premiership…
Well, if England (etc) get knocked out in the pool stages... :smt040 :smt040
Last edited by Pellsey on Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

markharbtiger wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:32 am It would be nice to celebrate our players making World Cup squads WITHOUT being concerned as to how we’re going to survive without them in the premiership…
Well I wish we could discuss games without discussing what the ref missed and what shouldn’t/ should have been a card and instead concentrate on the rugby but that isn’t in everyone’s nature unfortunately
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:33 pm
Well I wish we could discuss games without discussing what the ref missed and what shouldn’t/ should have been a card and instead concentrate on the rugby but that isn’t in everyone’s nature unfortunately
Wouldn't it be nice if refereeing were actually consistant, then there would be no reason to get frustrated about such things.
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

Of course you’re correct and mistakes should be mentioned. I just feel on the odd occasion it does border on the obsessive. Just my opinion
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:14 pm Of course you’re correct and mistakes should be mentioned. I just feel on the odd occasion it does border on the obsessive. Just my opinion
You are also correct! The obsessive is only due to the passion we all feel for the game... It could be trimmed, somewhat, you are right!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:14 pm Of course you’re correct and mistakes should be mentioned. I just feel on the odd occasion it does border on the obsessive. Just my opinion
Absolutely agree.
Not a jock
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Not a jock »

Pellsey wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:05 pm
Rugbygramps wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 12:33 pm
Wouldn't it be nice if refereeing were actually consistant, then there would be no reason to get frustrated about such things.
Ah - another demand for "consistency." But consistent with what/whom? Wayne Barnes, perhaps? But even he gets criticised on this forum occasionally. I'd love to know how you'd develop the standard to which all refs would conform. Shouldn't the laws of rugby be sufficient? If not, "something must be done" but what exactly? - just telling the refs to be more consistent won't do.

It's a bit like someone in a divided polical party calling for unity - providing it's lining up behind their faction.

Perhaps a less stressful approach for supporters would be to accept refs are not infallible, even with the assistance of a TMO, coaches will/should know how to play a particular ref, and the rough and smooth will even out over a season.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

I just says it how I sees it,and I will continue to call out every ref mistake I see if it’s an important one that should’ve been dealt with properly by a well paid respective expert in his field. Or should that be on the field?
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Rugbygramps
Super User
Super User

Post by Rugbygramps »

England name official 41 man training squad big omissions at first glance are 2 Vunipolas LCD and Heyes in the forwards and Lawrence in the backs.

EDIT - Just read that Chessum both Vunipolas Lawrence and Walker are still rehabbing but in contention for the final 33
Last edited by Rugbygramps on Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Notinthecounty

Post by Notinthecounty »

Rugbygramps wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:14 am England name official 41 man training squad big omissions at first glance are 2 Vunipolas LCD and Heyes in the forwards and Lawrence in the backs
Both Vunipola’s and Lawrence along with Ollie Chessum are listed as rehabilitating with the squad still.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

Having Heyes from the start will be a boost.

Cronin, Dolly, Heyes as a starting front row is strong for first prem game as assuming Cole and Montoya won’t be back then!

On another note, how Dombrandt is in ahead of Mercer and Mitchell is left out for Care is beyond me.
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

Mercer been left out? That's a shocking call if so!
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Post by Robespierre »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 10:28 am Mercer been left out? That's a shocking call if so!
+1! His form for Montpellier was outstanding and he’d have been fighting for the 8 shirt with Tom Willis.
Semper in excretia