Farrell - 4 week ban reduced to 3!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ABClub
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Farrell - 4 week ban reduced to 3!

Post by ABClub »

Farrell's last ban was two and half seasons ago. Plus this is only his third hearing in well over 300 Professional games.

Given it wasn't a high entry level offence the 4 week ban with 1 week knocked off for attending the course is completely inline with other recent hearings.

Lots of folk yelling at clouds over this.
westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Post by westwinds31 »

ABClub wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:26 pm Farrell's last ban was two and half seasons ago. Plus this is only his third hearing in well over 300 Professional games.

Given it wasn't a high entry level offence the 4 week ban with 1 week knocked off for attending the course is completely inline with other recent hearings.

100% this ^^^

Because of who he plays for and because he doesn’t fit the mould with his dour, serious personality where he gives nothing away. Social media erupts which gives the perception that he’s a dirty player who can’t tackle properly. Others who are more media-friendly we can forgive.
SthrnTiger

Post by SthrnTiger »

westwinds31 wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:25 pm
ABClub wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:26 pm Farrell's last ban was two and half seasons ago. Plus this is only his third hearing in well over 300 Professional games.

100% this ^^^

Because of who he plays for and because he doesn’t fit the mould with his dour, serious personality where he gives nothing away. Social media erupts which gives the perception that he’s a dirty player who can’t tackle properly. Others who are more media-friendly we can forgive.
Yep I agree as well. Completely standard ban and application for the incident. Counting the Bristol game isn’t as bad as previous more ridiculous cases in the past - Nick David had 2 games a day apart count (Barbarians & prem cup) whilst Wales arranged a friendly so North would be available,
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:20 pm

It's also worth noting that the England squad regularly "releases" players to their clubs. So he could well even be named in the training squad but listed as one of those who could be "released" back to their club
He could be. However that would obviously raise eyebrows seeing as that's very rarely anyone who's likely to be involved in the 23 the following week, and because if released back to his club he would be unable to play.

A moral quandary the Steve Borthwick probably didn't need to have to deal with, as the ball is probably in his court. I'm not sure I can judge what he's going to do.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

I don't mind the ban really, but I think he got away with one earlier in the season as well and the fact that he didn't get anything in the game had a massive effect on the result.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:39 pm

It's also worth noting that the England squad regularly "releases" players to their clubs. So he could well even be named in the training squad but listed as one of those who could be "released" back to their club
He could be. However that would obviously raise eyebrows seeing as that's very rarely anyone who's likely to be involved in the 23 the following week, and because if released back to his club he would be unable to play.

A moral quandary the Steve Borthwick probably didn't need to have to deal with, as the ball is probably in his court. I'm not sure I can judge what he's going to do.
It is also worth noting the comments of the committee as they had obviously foreseen this possibility when they said

"should there be a change of circumstances, then it will be the responsibility of the parties to consider the position and to ensure that the sanction imposed by this panel remains meaningful. If necessary, the player's free-to-play date will be amended to ensure the sanction remains meaningful.'
Hehehehehehehehe
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

trendylfj wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:27 am
Hot_Charlie wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:39 pm

It is also worth noting the comments of the committee as they had obviously foreseen this possibility when they said

"should there be a change of circumstances, then it will be the responsibility of the parties to consider the position and to ensure that the sanction imposed by this panel remains meaningful. If necessary, the player's free-to-play date will be amended to ensure the sanction remains meaningful.'
Indeed so. See my post on page 1 - I posted that same excerpt! :smt003