England vs USA - 4th July 2021

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

westwinds31
Super User
Super User

Re: England vs USA - 4th July 2021

Post by westwinds31 »

Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:15 am Havnt seen much of McNally,what's he like?
Big, tall and rangey. Good hands and powerful. 30 years old but deservedly getting a start for a decent season.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

westwinds31 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:23 am
Scott1 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:15 am Havnt seen much of McNally,what's he like?
Big, tall and rangey. Good hands and powerful. 30 years old but deservedly getting a start for a decent season.
Unlikely to ever the pull the Red Rose on again after this summer but the lock stocks are depleted and as you say he's been playing well enough.

England are slightly stuck in that they've got locks in their late twenties and early thirties and then in their early twenties. There's none around the 25 mark where they could be developed for the next two world cups. Maybe Hill will fill that hole from the bench.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Considering England's performance during the last 6 Nations an awful shirts and places could be up for grabs.Eddie Jones has always been his own man when it comes to selection but ignoring form and ability now could well be that much harder.It is very much easier to go your own way if you are winning.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
bendy

Post by bendy »

Good game for Freddie. Probably not an awful lot else to say about that match though...
markharbtiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by markharbtiger »

bendy wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:35 pm Good game for Freddie. Probably not an awful lot else to say about that match though...
Agreed: I also thought Freddie looked good throughout the game. Randall and Smith looked good at times too. Wasn’t quite sure what to make of the scrum performance however...
Scott1
Super User
Super User

Post by Scott1 »

markharbtiger wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:43 pm
bendy wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:35 pm Good game for Freddie. Probably not an awful lot else to say about that match though...
Agreed: I also thought Freddie looked good throughout the game. Randall and Smith looked good at times too. Wasn’t quite sure what to make of the scrum performance however...
Once settled the first choice scrum was completely dominant,thought the replacements were poor though
"Rugby isn't a contact sport,ballroom dancing is a contact sport. Rugby is a collision sport" Heyneke Meyer
LekkerTigers

Post by LekkerTigers »

Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:44 pm
Once settled the first choice scrum was completely dominant,thought the replacements were poor though
I thought Brace had a really poor game refereeing. Especially at set pieces.
chris111
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by chris111 »

Chris Ashton? Most banal TV punditry ever? Discuss….
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

LekkerTigers wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:53 pm
Scott1 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:44 pm

I thought Brace had a really poor game refereeing. Especially at set pieces.
it did seem to be lucky dip at scrum penalty decisions.

England kicked a lot as per normal I wonder if people will stop blaming Youngs & Ford now?
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

I know it was pretty much a scratch side but there were a fair few missed tackles (Umaga, I thought, especially). Freddie good and I think it will be more polished next week. Genge spoke well to the ref from what I could see. I also thought not great coverage by channel 4, the director seemed to like crowd shots and missed a few things. The constant replay of the Freddie collision was bizarre - like someone had an elbow on the repeat button.
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

chris111 wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:17 pm Chris Ashton? Most banal TV punditry ever? Discuss….
you've obviously never heard Danny Murphy or Jermaine Jenas commentate on Football, Ashton at least tried to give insight, they just speak in platitudes and soundbites.

Smith not good off the tee, I also thought they should have swapped the half backs and had the replacements play their positions with Randall and Smith covering Centre and Wing second half
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

also I thought T'eo for the U.S. was quick as well as huge
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

Was Dombrant injured? Was disappointed not to see him play. I think there were a few easy caps given out. Who was the starting number 8 for England? Not international class. Tigers didn’t let anyone down. Smith is a class above Umaga, who I felt sorry for as he is not a centre. But also not in the same league as Smith.
I posted this on the weekend forum. But think it’s more suited to this one.
There is never any points for 2nd place...
BFG
Super User
Super User

Post by BFG »

The USA may have won were it not for some shocking defensive moments.
England were low on playing quality in my opinion.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Dr H Flashman MBE wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:31 pm Was Dombrant injured? Was disappointed not to see him play. I think there were a few easy caps given out. Who was the starting number 8 for England? Not international class. Tigers didn’t let anyone down. Smith is a class above Umaga, who I felt sorry for as he is not a centre. But also not in the same league as Smith.
I posted this on the weekend forum. But think it’s more suited to this one.
Dombrandt and Marchant were deemed to need a little more recovery after the Prem final so I'd expect them to come in for next weekend.

Calum Chick played 8, promising young Falcons 8. He was solid but lacked impact. Needed to get involved far more. Same with Ludlow at 6.

Umaga couldn't tackle, it was a theatrical dive and miss every time. He could make an impact ball in hand either. I suspect Atkinson will overtake him at Wasps in the next couple of years. Shame really because at the minute it looks unlikely he'll have much of a career with England but he could have represented Samoa who are in need of a playmaker. Could have been funny if he had and Sapoaga who wants to requalify to represent them had ended up as competing against one another again.