Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: England v Ireland Team

Post by RWA »

The Boy Dave wrote:
the standard poppycock about Andy Farrell and how he favours his son
It goes on everywhere though doesn't it, no-one is immune, just look at the names getting through and the level they plateau at and you know something better was overlooked in favour of the favourtes.
Do you think that Owen Farrell, for example, wouldn't be in the England squad if his Dad wasn't backs coach ?
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

RWA wrote:
Do you think that Owen Farrell, for example, wouldn't be in the England squad if his Dad wasn't backs coach ?
Yes. :smt003
Still keeping the faith!
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

It goes on everywhere though doesn't it, no-one is immune, just look at the names getting through and the level they plateau at and you know something better was overlooked in favour of the favourtes.

I don't think he would be a professional rugby union player if his Dad hadn't been a professional rugby union player!
For the record I don't just attribute that to him.
Regarding the rest, Sarries and England etc, once in the system it's difficult to be ousted, having the advantage of regular high level training and competition.
Cheery chappy
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

It's a point I've made a couple of times - England would be quite a different side having had 4 years of Mallett/Smith or Schmidt or a top-line Kiwi coach. We certainly would have a couple of 7s in there and our breakdown technique would be top-notch. I have confidence in many of the players - Fazlet may well have been kept as the 'steady-Eddie' for keeping the last 20 mins ticking over, for instance - I don't have confidence in the coaching team, and the fact they are using Burgess as faux-captain (or is Robshaw the faux-captain?)at the last minute suggests to me a considerable uncertainty from a long way back.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

jgriffin wrote: a considerable uncertainty from a long way back.
Spot on JG.

When(If)Robshsaw or Burgess lifts the Webb Ellis Trophy we will all eat our words though!
Still keeping the faith!
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Bill W (2) wrote:
RWA wrote: There's nothing experimental that I can see.
Two centres who have becer played together before. A Line Out squad that has never played together before.

To me that is experimental.

:smt006

The line out of Youngs, Parling, Wood, Robshaw and Lawes have played together many times before, Bill.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Good I'm glad Geoff Parling has been given a chance to shine again in the second row, though he will probably have to perform out of his skin to replace Lawes or Launchberry in the team against Fiji on the 18th, unless of coursed Lancaster takes the dangerous assumption that he can rest some of his stars as he views the tie against Fiji as one of England's easier games. Verenika Goneva may teach him a lesson if he does so.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

RWA wrote:Has anyone got anything positive to say about the team or the coaching staff ? Someone has posted the link to the 23 vs Ireland and the rest have waded in with the usual twaddle about Lancaster (you have to say SLancaster though) and not forgetting of course, the standard poppycock about Andy Farrell and how he favours his son and loves Burgess !

I believe that this is pretty close to our strongest line-up and it will do well, in my opinion. It was pretty obvious from a long way back that Barritt was going to be the starting 12, nobody else has really staked a meaningful claim. Short memories clearly of how he helped take the All Blacks centres apart a couple of years ago. There's nothing experimental that I can see. Morgan comes in at 8 to get some more game time. You must have been taken in by Gatland's pathetic attempt at mind games ?
I agree, why can't Rugby fans accept we have the squad we have, there is a world cup around the corner, just get behind our squad and stop bithcing
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Ireland: 15 Simon Zebo, 14 Tommy Bowe, 13 Jared Payne, 12 Robbie Henshaw, 11 Dave Kearney, 10 Jonathan Sexton, 9 Conor Murray, 8 Jamie Heaslip, 7 Sean O'Brien, 6 Peter O'Mahony, 5 Paul O'Connell (c), 4 Devin Toner, 3 Mike Ross, 2 Rory Best, 1 Jack McGrath.
Replacements: 16 Richardt Strauss, 17 Tadhg Furlong, 18 Nathan White, 19 Donnacha Ryan, 20 Chris Henry, 21 Eoin Reddan, 22 Ian Madigan, 23 Darren Cave.

Strong Ireland team

Given that Owens is reffing I am looking forward to this should be a good game just hope I don't get rained on too much... :smt023

Both teams need the momentum I think England at home will have too much and win by 5-10
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Chobbsy wrote:
RWA wrote:Has anyone got anything positive to say about the team or the coaching staff ? Someone has posted the link to the 23 vs Ireland and the rest have waded in with the usual twaddle about Lancaster (you have to say SLancaster though) and not forgetting of course, the standard poppycock about Andy Farrell and how he favours his son and loves Burgess !

I believe that this is pretty close to our strongest line-up and it will do well, in my opinion. It was pretty obvious from a long way back that Barritt was going to be the starting 12, nobody else has really staked a meaningful claim. Short memories clearly of how he helped take the All Blacks centres apart a couple of years ago. There's nothing experimental that I can see. Morgan comes in at 8 to get some more game time. You must have been taken in by Gatland's pathetic attempt at mind games ?
I agree, why can't Rugby fans accept we have the squad we have, there is a world cup around the corner, just get behind our squad and stop bithcing
I promise to stop bithcing. I haven't been :censored:, crude sexist term that it is. I will continue to criticise however, and I refuse to suspend my critical faculties to become a Happy Clapper automaton.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Very much looking forward to this game, despite it being a friendly. I just want to see our pack getting back to what they do best. At times in the last two years they have been the best pack in the world. Need to get back their quickly. In business if we do.....
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

jgriffin wrote:
Chobbsy wrote:

Constant moaning and critising is tiresome and boring, sorry if that is sexist as well
I promise to stop bithcing. I haven't been :censored:, crude sexist term that it is. I will continue to criticise however, and I refuse to suspend my critical faculties to become a Happy Clapper automaton.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

G.K wrote:
Where are we if we lose on Saturday at 'fortress' Twickenham?
Not getting out if the pool stage maybe likely? Based on what I have seen so far, the Prem could have its England players back sooner than they think?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I was being a bit snappy, for which I apologise, but I guess the stuff about constantly moaning is simply the growing feeling of being short-changed by an under powered coaching staff for the last couple of years. You should be used to that on here, where I tend to be in the Cockers-supporting NaySayers rather than the constant whingers or Doom-Mongers. :smt039
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

RWA wrote:
The Boy Dave wrote:
he'd be in as a 12 not a fly half, if he was in it at all