Choice of Captain

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Re: Choice of Captain

Post by Noddy555 »

Tigerburnie knowing about Rugby is only one of the aspects of being a Captain. There are much more important ones such as setting an example particularly in discipline,Strength of mind and positioning sense and the ability to motivate others around you when they are flagging. Being a Lion or even the world's best player doesn't necessarily mean that you will make a good captain.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Give it to Thorn until after tha AI's.
It removes internal political issues with longer serving players and who the hell would argue with him?!
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

L Smith wrote:Give it to Thorn until after tha AI's.
It removes internal political issues with longer serving players and who the hell would argue with him?!
You would suspect that his experience will come to the fore, but he might be another great player who can't lead it would seem, great players don't make inspirational leaders on the field apparently.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

tigerburnie wrote:
L Smith wrote:Give it to Thorn until after tha AI's.
You would suspect that his experience will come to the fore, but he might be another great player who can't lead it would seem, great players don't make inspirational leaders on the field apparently.
Close! They don't "necessarily" make inspirational leaders! :smt002
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Agree with Smithy Thorn because of his experience would be a good choice.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Noddy555 wrote:Agree with Smithy Thorn because of his experience would be a good choice.
You could be right Noddy, but the post you made at the top of the page makes me wonder, does not the same thing apply to Brad Thorn, does he have any experience of being captain?
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Thorn has some experience, but why on earth he is even being mentioned as a possible Captain of Leicester Tigers is totally beyond me. Being Tigers' Captain is an honour, earned from blood, sweat and tears, and in a Tigers shirt.

Thorn comes nowhere near qualifying.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Thorn has some experience, but why on earth he is even being mentioned as a possible Captain of Leicester Tigers is totally beyond me. Being Tigers' Captain is an honour, earned from blood, sweat and tears, and in a Tigers shirt.

Thorn comes nowhere near qualifying
Still got to be good enough no matter where you come from!
Cheery chappy
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Tigerburnie Thorn is 39, if he hasn't been a captain at some stage in his career I would be very surprised. From Memory before the advent of Richie McCaw I think Brad captained the all blacks on more than one occasion.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Noddy555 wrote:Tigerburnie Thorn is 39, if he hasn't been a captain at some stage in his career I would be very surprised. From Memory before the advent of Richie McCaw I think Brad captained the all blacks on more than one occasion.
23 times if I read the table correctly, plus Highlanders. But is he a guaranteed start 80 minute player (when fit)?
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

h's dad wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:Tigerburnie Thorn is 39, if he hasn't been a captain at some stage in his career I would be very surprised. From Memory before the advent of Richie McCaw I think Brad captained the all blacks on more than one occasion.
23 times if I read the table correctly, plus Highlanders. But is he a guaranteed start 80 minute player (when fit)?
Youngs rarely plays the full 80!
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Phil B wrote:Thorn has some experience, but why on earth he is even being mentioned as a possible Captain of Leicester Tigers is totally beyond me. Being Tigers' Captain is an honour, earned from blood, sweat and tears, and in a Tigers shirt.

Thorn comes nowhere near qualifying.
I strongly disagree, Thorn is the obvious choice in my eyes, this is a time of crisis, most of the obvious candidates that have played for Tigers for a long time are injured. Thorn is respected worldwide as a player and strong personality. If I'm right about his character all current Tigers players would follow him "into the trenches" and that's what we need for the rest of the season!!
Soggypitch
metalmann
Tiger Cub

Post by metalmann »

Thorn is a legend but not sure what statement that makes to senior players after all he has played one game. Maybe gives them a kick up the bum as imo some of them need it!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

fentiger wrote:
h's dad wrote:
Youngs rarely plays the full 80!
Maybe it doesn't have to be quite the full 80 but I do agree with Martin Crowson in describing Ben Youngs as a perhaps unlikely captain.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

What about an outside choice of Ayerza as captain now he is back? Or after the AI especially?