Transfer Rumours Thread 2013/2014 Season

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfer Rumours Thread 2013/2014 Season

Post by sam16111986 »

Personally I'd say Dickinson the number 8 from Rotherham has added more to Saints (having missed the entirity of last season) this season than North. Saints have been doing the business in the tight and with their big ball carriers, the form of the wingers North and Elliott are all based on that platform.

Burns would be a good signing but only at the right price, there are other good tens that could be cheaper even if maybe not quite as explosive. Putting all our eggs in one creative is a bit of a risk, I'd rather we got a quality 10 but also looked for a creative centre or a playmaker that can play 15 like Geordie. Quality options in the squad should be the aim.

Here's the link to show that Ewers will need a new deal in the summer if he's to stay in Devon.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/21874576
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Lot of speculation - and a lot of money required for many of the signings.
The retirement of Deacon and the departure of TTE & Goneva won't release huge amounts of the salary cap.

Unless we have the money and are prepared to be creative in terms of the salary cap (in the way some teams seem to be able to make the big signings) attracting the like of Burns may be beyond our budget.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

mol2 wrote:Lot of speculation - and a lot of money required for many of the signings.
The retirement of Deacon and the departure of TTE & Goneva won't release huge amounts of the salary cap.

Unless we have the money and are prepared to be creative in terms of the salary cap (in the way some teams seem to be able to make the big signings) attracting the like of Burns may be beyond our budget.
I'd imagine wouldn't try to sign Burns unless Flood were to leave - from a squad balance perspective first but also from a budgeting perspective.

TTE signed his last contract when he was about to be selected for England having been in great form (having probably not come cheap from the Crusaders either) so I'd wager his wages would be Denton-esque or in a similar ball park at least. Deacon as a senior player with consistent starts and on the fringes of the England squad when he last re-signed will also been on a fair amount (though not Bradley Davies level wages I'd imagine). Goneva will have been cheap as an islander from the French 2nd division - even if he is a Fiji test player so the Sharples replacement may depend on someone like Scotty retiring... plenty to speculate about!

But on a one out one in policy (very rule of thumb I know) we shouldn't not be in the running for any of the players we're in the running for.
tigersnottingham

Post by tigersnottingham »

I fully expect that the following will leave:

Goneva
Flood
Waldrom
Hamilton

On that basis we need to replace them all, and the key being finding a top drawer 10 and 8.

Burns would be great, but I would be looking outside of the Aviva or we will be stepping down significantly.

Getting Denton would be brilliant, fantastic player. Mobile, carries well and very crafty.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

We should be looking at better players than Burns!
Also a No 8 that can carry & control a Faletau type if you like!
Try to keep Goneva we are just seeing the best of him imho :smt023
tigersnottingham

Would love to keep Goneva but he is as good as gone IMO
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

If the following leave;
Flood
Hamilton
Goneva
Deacon
Waldrom
I would try to buy Ewers with the money from Waldrom leaving then throw the rest of the free cash at getting Halfpenny and keeping Bowden who i would play at 10, It sounds ridiculous but Flood, Hamilton, Goneva and Deacon's wages combined have got to be as much if not way more than what the french are offering Halfpenny
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

Yes but we can't match the lifestyle!
South of France or East Midlands!
tigersnottingham

Forgot Deacon will probably leave too.

That would leave us needing:

World Class (or one notch down) 10
Ball carrying 8
Second row cover
Winger/utility back.

I really can't see us getting Halfpenny, he will be off to France and to be honest, whilst a brilliant kicker, not THAT much of an upgrade on Tait in other areas, especially as he will be missing for internationals.

Would rather spend the cap on a really top 10, with Williams and Lamb able to cover during Internationals, in particular allowing Williams to develop.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

fleabane wrote:Big signings generally means players who get international call-ups and who miss a third of the season, often coming back injured.

Why do we want them?
Probably because players who get international call ups are generally better than the ones who don't? Fairly obvious when you think about it.
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

SRU might throw a fair wedge at Denton to keep him in Scotland after losing Richie Gray last year.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I fully expect that the following will leave:

Goneva
Flood
Waldrom
Hamilton
Sadly - I tend to agree with this prediction. If Flood is the marquee player this year and given Scott and TTTE will be on good money then I would expect Tigers to bring in some serious quality. It's not 'Tigers-esque' to go for Halfpenny but he'd be an unbelievable addition to the squad and if we made him the marquee player then he's not out of reach. He can also play wing which adds options and his kicking will take pressure off all 10s in the club.

Two additional concerns for me are: 1) the long-term prognosis for Croft and 2) Tait. His continued absence is starting to bemuse me... :smt017
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

If Tait had started the season we would not have been thinking about Halfpenny. Tait IMHO is, apart from the kicking, a class above Halfpenny. He has the fastest feet apart from Jason Robinson I have seen, and can sell a dummy with a look.

We need a second genuine 7, a class 10, an enforcer lock and appoint Slater captain from 8.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

I
jgriffin wrote:If Tait had started the season we would not have been thinking about Halfpenny. Tait IMHO is, apart from the kicking, a class above Halfpenny. He has the fastest feet apart from Jason Robinson I have seen, and can sell a dummy with a look.

We need a second genuine 7, a class 10, an enforcer lock and appoint Slater captain from 8.
+1 on Tait, Halfpenny would be money wasted in my opinion. I don't think we need a 7, Matera is more than capable of providing back up to Salvi and I can see him starting by the end of the season. I think Slater can be that enforcer lock for us so unless there is a giant polynesian like Perpignan have (look him up) I think we are fine in that department. If we were to lose Waldrom and gain Denton we would have the giant line breaking 8 we've been waiting for. Hopefully we keep Flood, if not we should be looking at someone like Freddie Burns although I think it's important we look for someone of better value from super rugby such as Colin Slade. Dan Carter is also on a sabbatical next year, maybe he would fancy a year enjoying the sights and sounds of Leicester.
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

TigerLad wrote:I
jgriffin wrote:If Tait had started the season we would not have been thinking about Halfpenny. Tait IMHO is, apart from the kicking, a class above Halfpenny. He has the fastest feet apart from Jason Robinson I have seen, and can sell a dummy with a look.

+1 on Tait, Halfpenny would be money wasted in my opinion. I don't think we need a 7, Matera is more than capable of providing back up to Salvi and I can see him starting by the end of the season. I think Slater can be that enforcer lock for us so unless there is a giant polynesian like Perpignan have (look him up) I think we are fine in that department. If we were to lose Waldrom and gain Denton we would have the giant line breaking 8 we've been waiting for. Hopefully we keep Flood, if not we should be looking at someone like Freddie Burns although I think it's important we look for someone of better value from super rugby such as Colin Slade. Dan Carter is also on a sabbatical next year, maybe he would fancy a year enjoying the sights and sounds of Leicester.
Dan Carter would be a dream signing.....but not sure it will happen...fantasy signing Conrad Smith. A centre with brains.. :smt001
There is never any points for 2nd place...