Wasps vs Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

drc_007
Super User
Super User

Re: Wasps vs Tigers

Post by drc_007 »

I'd give Matt Smith another weeks rest to recover from his foot injury.

I'd include Slater in the second row because he needs more game time, Deacon on the bench if needed.

Tait in to keep an eye on the Wasps fliers.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

os99 wrote:
From a Tigers perspective it's great to see Haskell replace Waldrom in the England squad.
sapajo wrote;
Did you not mean Morgan

Wake up sapajo! This is a thread on Wasps v Tigers....Haskell is in the England 23 and Waldrom is not, hence our gain on Sunday :smt001 . Likewise with Palmer and Launchbury being retained by England.

I hope to see both Thompstone and Bowden in the side but fear i may be disappointed about the latter.
Soggypitch
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

fentiger wrote:
physiodan wrote:What has happened to "Long Time". I know he picked up an injury several weeks back but is there any news in his return. Obviously this will never be published on the tigers website and I understand why until it is set in stone but we are missing his scrummaging.
Spoke to him on Sunday he said about another three weeks before he's back :smt023
Cheers. He will probably be water boy this week then!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Soggypitch wrote:os99 wrote:
From a Tigers perspective it's great to see Haskell replace Waldrom in the England squad.
sapajo wrote;
Did you not mean Morgan

Wake up sapajo! This is a thread on Wasps v Tigers....Haskell is in the England 23 and Waldrom is not, hence our gain on Sunday :smt001 . Likewise with Palmer and Launchbury being retained by England.

I hope to see both Thompstone and Bowden in the side but fear i may be disappointed about the latter.

I was doubting if Haskell wouold actually replace TTTE at No 8 for England, however I have now woken up this morning thank you :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

http://www.wasps.co.uk/news/wasps33500.ink

I think this looks like a challenge to both our players and supporters,our fans make lots of noise and our team to quiet them down by winning the game............simples

COME ON YOU TIGERRRRRrrrrrssssssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Good looking team for sunday, have to say I don't know of many of their pack, not the household names they used to field.
We must fancy our chances of turning them over down there if we can dominate the set pieces and protect the ball. No silly down field kicks with no chasers, as they have pace to burn coming back at us.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRrrrsssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
BJ.
Super User
Super User

Post by BJ. »

Leicester Tigers (vs London Wasps, Adams Park, Sunday 2.30pm)
15 Mathew Tait
14 Niall Morris
13 Matt Smith
12 Anthony Allen
11 Adam Thompstone
10 George Ford
9 Sam Harrison
1 Jonny Harris
2 George Chuter
3 Fraser Balmain
4 Louis Deacon (c)
5 Graham Kitchener
6 Jordan Crane
7 Julian Salvi
8 Thomas Waldrom

Replacements
16 Rob Hawkins
17 Michael Holford
18 Kieran Brookes
19 Ed Slater
20 Richard Thorpe
21 Patrick Phibbs
22 Dan Bowden
23 Geordan Murphy

London Wasps
15 Hugo Southwell
14 Tom Varndell
13 Elliot Daly
12 Chris Bell
11 Christian Wade
10 Nick Robinson
9 Joe Simpson
1 Tim Payne
2 T Rhys Thomas
3 Phil Swainston
4 James Cannon
5 Marco Wentzel
6 Ashley Johnson
7 Jonathan Poff
8 Billy Vunipola

Replacements
16 Tom Lindsay
17 Simon McIntyre
18 Will Taylor
19 Josh Brown
20 Sam Jones
21 Charlie Davies
22 Tommy Bell
23 Lee Thomas
Whatever you do, don't argue. We might never hear from you again.
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

Quite impressive the team we can still put out when missing 6 front row forwards (Cole, Youngs, Ayerza, Castro, Muli, Stanko), a lock (Parling), two back row (Croft, Mafi), a SH (BY), a FH (TF), a centre (M Tuilagi) and two wings (Goneva, Benjamin).

Really glad to see some pace in the 11, 14 and 15 shirts. Was worried that Hamilton and Murphs may not be the best to combat Varndell and Wade. Slater v unlucky to miss out after his efforts last week.

Should be a good battle, but am optimistic given the team selected. Here's hoping the performance continues in the same vein as last week and that way we should be able to get a result.
Joe The Tigers Fan
Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Hull Fan »

Is Micky Young injured again? :smt017
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

Their backline will have pace.........It's another behind the setee job!

A close one I fear!

Plus Mickey Holfords back! His mum's a fierce cookie! Watch for her on here!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Big Dai wrote:Their backline will have pace.
Morris, Tait and Thompstone are pretty quick to.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

A good side, Slater is unlucky but Crane and Waldrom in the backrow with a real 7 should be a good combination. Hopefully Harris can hold on or get an edge in the scrum and if Balmain keeps up his form he will have the edge over Payne. I like the back 3 selection, I suspect Cockers has only selected them due to injury, but they have more chance of living with Wasps back 3 than Murphy and Hamilton. Suprised not to see Mickey Young but he might be injured again.

I maintain that side should have enough to beat Wasps but it won't be pretty. Their backrow is strong but they have been hit by the loss of Palmer, Launchberry, Haskell and their Samoan prop. A strong Tigers bench, for this time of year, should see us home. It will be a big test of the lineout vs. Wentzel but I think Kitchener with Deacs supporting him will be ok.

:smt027 :smt027
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I worry about Varndell and Wade. With the way we use a drift defence, I fear that if they can get the ball through their hands quick enough, we wont be able to get out to Wade or Varndell fast enough.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

looks like a good 23 man squad for a long hard game, impact subs could make all the difference when they're on the ropes...
cheers
Rich
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Big Dai wrote:Their backline will have pace.........It's another behind the setee job!
This game will not be influenced much by pace at the back, expect an old fashioned forward battle with a lot of kicking for territory.