Brian ' the pit bull ' Moore

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Hi Lansdowne.

For me, worst commentator is a man from your Island; Mark Robson. Seems to have no idea who is actually playing half the time. Commentating is difficult, but he makes it look doubly so !

Most promising pundit - Will Greenwood. As good as Dewi Morris is bad.

Best analysis - Stuart Barnes, at least for the backs. Brilliant.
Mat
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Mat »

Moore is a passionate English man on English BBC so what if he does wear his heart on his sleeve in commantry.

I he is also a very inteigent man who knows the game ijnside out including all the cheating. H emakes good observations. Moor of Moore please
Lansdowne RFC
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Lansdowne RFC »

For me, worst commentator is a man from your Island; Mark Robson. Seems to have no idea who is actually playing half the time. Commentating is difficult, but he makes it look doubly so !
^ Hmmmm, good shout dailywaffle. I'm not joking here, but he does tend to think Ulster are playing, even when they aren't. And despite the fact that he is a fan of them, he continually stalls his commentary of a match he is doing by telling us that "Ulster have now moved into a 24-10 lead". Who cares? Unless you're watching Ulster.
He's also a devil for the facts. If a player makes a pass, you get "the 36 timkes capped Irish international from Blackrock College". In my opinion, a good leading commentator should explain what is happening in front of him, then the pundit explains key moments in detail. An array of facts is not needed, important, or wanted.

My problem with Chignall is he sensationalises everything. The try Toby Flood scored against Leicester was described as "quite marvellous". I mean, it was a good side step. But don;t over do it Will. And I'll never forget how he described Caucau try v Leinster in that annoying accent of his as "froooom nowheeeeereeeee"

Jonathan Davis deserves a big shout for one of the game's worst pundits. Murray Mexted when Sky hijack NZ coverage has also staked a considerable claim.

Still reckon Paul Wallace is the best pundit going. As a commentator he was horrendous, only because he wouldn't shut up. But as a pundit, his knowledge of the front row is exceptional. He has played 45 times for Ireland and a Lions tourist before injury, so I think he has a respected opinion. Niall Woods is another awful examiner, especially when placed with Bob Symonds in that dynamic duo on Sky
Gray

Post by Gray »

Anyone here remember Nigel Starmer-Smith?
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Gray wrote:Anyone here remember Nigel Starmer-Smith?
Good old Nigel is still to be found on Setanta's coverage of French rugby. Perhaps I have mellowed, but he doesn't seem quite as bad as he used to. Still comes over as the stereotype of a public school rugger 'chap', mind.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

Can someone explain to me why we have to endure the mumblings of Davies. He is patently not interested in anything except welsh rugby, his first word is always wellllllll.
There is a channel he can disappear to SC4!!
Lets get Austin in the studio full time & send the dull / wineing / winging Davies back home.
Keep standing areas in the new stadium!!
westy154
Super User
Super User

Post by westy154 »

One thing that Brian Moore has going for him is that he has at least made an effort to understand the modern rules of the game, and then tries to explain to the viewers why the referee has given a decision. Very few pundits do this, and it should be encouraged. Of course, he doesn't always get it right...

Plus, his argument last saturday with Eddie over whether Wilkinson had been obstructed was priceless. Pure comedy gold!

I don't know their names, but a at least one of the Irish pundits that the BBC use does have a, shall we say rather skewed perspective on the games. He has a touch of the Bill Maclarens; waxing lyrical about their own countries antics, but congratulating the 'opposition' through gritted teeth.

Jonathon Davies can be annoying but I don't mind him too much.

Both Kearnsey and Mexted both annoy me in the Southern Hemisphere.

Will Greenwood is really improving. I like Stuart Barnes.
John
---
He is able to lift up a heavy object when that heavy object says "lift me now".
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Jiffy is much better on BBC2W, when he is in the Stuart Barnes role. I don't think he comes over as effectively when with 'Invers' and 'Jerry' in the studio.

I quite like Jiffy. A truly great (though underrated) player who, IIRC, had to cope with the death of his wife after a long illness.
POSTIGER
Super User
Super User

Post by POSTIGER »

I still can't quite understand why the BBC have never promoted Bleddyn Jones from local radio to national TV. I think he would be the ideal 6 nations commentator :D
Tweentown

Post by Tweentown »

For those of you that don't want to listen to the Butler / Moore partnership this week you will find that by pressing the red button there are alternative commentaries - last week I listened to the Radio 5 commentary (Alistair Hignall & Ian Robertson). The only problem with that was some bloke in the studio kept interrupting with footie scores. The commentary is however in time with the pictures, which it isn't if you try listening to the commentary on the radio against digital tv.
dailywaffle
Super User
Super User

Post by dailywaffle »

Tweentown wrote:For those of you that don't want to listen to the Butler / Moore partnership this week you will find that by pressing the red button there are alternative commentaries - last week I listened to the Radio 5 commentary (Alistair Hignall & Ian Robertson). The only problem with that was some bloke in the studio kept interrupting with footie scores. The commentary is however in time with the pictures, which it isn't if you try listening to the commentary on the radio against digital tv.
You're quite right, although its not really an option if you want to watch the HD feed and/or listen in surround sound. For those, unless anyone can correct me, you're stuck with the main commentary.
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

We tend to turn the volume down and shout our own commentary at the TV :wink:
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
chappie
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by chappie »

I'm with you on that one Rizzo, I must say I would like to her the Leicester Lip in place of Davis. :lol:
Franck Tournaire Number 1 fan.
DCat
Super User
Super User

Post by DCat »

Longshanks wrote:
Wayne Richardson Fan Club wrote:Still better than a Harrison/Barnes production on Sky!
Marginally better on a good day! It's Will Chignell's commentary which gets my back up - very limited insight, full of the same cliches and a tendency to react like he's been electrocuted when something interesting happens.
Will Chignell is truly awful - agree with you there.

I do think that the BBC's camerawork is not what it used to be - Sky seem to be much better at keeping up with the pace of the game, & knowing how much time there is to show replays before the game restarts. And also how many times to replay things, particularly tries - the BBC repeats things far too much, even England tries!
AKA Delilah - Founder Member of 'The Mothers'

Sponsored by Kleenex