AR announces EPS & Senior Squads 2006/7

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Nah you are too cheap!!!

RFU have invested £2M in Farrell - they canno0t admit it was a mistake!

Where was Henry Paul in the list?? Not even in the core sevens squad!!!

Whoops!!! Short memories!!!
Mountsorrel Tiger
Tiger Cub

Post by Mountsorrel Tiger »

and they've been at it again with Chev Walker, and AR has already been talking about him making the world cup squad. I just wonder what the younger generation like Matt Cornwell will make of this, what is the point of playing U21 rugby if all they're gonna do is buy in people from a different code at great expense so they have to pick them. bloomin' stupid
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

'Tis the Bath disease!

They recruited lots of League players and a fat lot of good it did them!!!

But is the RFU's way around the salary cap - and a step towards central contracts.

Their heads are where the sun does not shine!!!
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

I didn't know much about Chev Walker, but the first thing I found was this...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_l ... 113199.stm

Can't be a good start :(

I think Bill was kinda saying (correct me if I'm wrong!!) that the EPS doesn't neccessarily mean the players that will be lost in the AIs and 6Ns. The squads for these may be different.

I seriously seriously don't understand Cohen and Tindell's roll in the whole thing. Unless they are there for "experience" to help the younger guys like... ermm... yeah...

IMHO Varndell should be played in every England game running up to the world cup. Not neccessarily because he is the best or most all round winger at the moment (because he isn't), but because he needs experience to become a more all round player and to improve his defence and become the best winger in England (maybe the world ??). But as Bill said, we probably won't need wingers, apart from to defend and as much as I think Cohen would be a better number 6 ( :lol: ) and is past it, he is good in defence.

Does anybody think Farrell will ever play?!! And even if he does, it will surely take a while for him to learn the game!! He's 31 now... It will take, IMHO, at least a year for him to learn the game properly, so ermm, assuming he recovers fully from injury (ha ha ha ha ha :D ) he will be ready for the World Cup :lol: :lol: :lol:

I tend to agree with you Salcombe Bob. Tigers again will be the most hit club in terms of losing the most amount of players. I still think this is an OBNSG plan to disadvantage his arch-enemy (of the Early 90s).
How would you play those 55 though? 30 in the scrum with 25 backs? Would be interesting.

It's bad luck for Scott. But who knows, things might change... Good for the Tigers though. Losing 2 damn good scrums halves would be a nightmare. Oh also a damn good winger, our best fly half, 2/3s of the front row, second row, and potentially all of the back row (if SJ gets the call up to Ireland). Oh and our full back. Nearly the whole of our first team. :evil:
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

I am disappointed with the overall ERS squad. It seems that yet again OBSNG has gone for all the old players rather then try outa good number of younger players before World Cup 2007. That may still happen but he is leaving it very late. Now would be the ideal time to bring on the likes of Tom and give him the experience and confidence in an England shirt that he needs and to enable him to improve his all round game. Yet again OBSNG has balked on such an obvious maneouvre. Its good that Matthew Tait is in the squad but more like him should be in.

When we get to the World Cup the core of the squad will be just about over the hill and will have problems against the the number of fresher players from countries like NZ. All because OBNSG was afraid to bring on younger players.

Why is Dayglo still in the squad? We will still have the potential backstabbing situation we had last season against Cozza.

I don't understand why Tindall is in the squad in preference of the likes of Tom and you wonder how much longer the likes of Cohen should be in.

Why on earth is Andy Farrell being touted as the greatest thing since sliced bread by the RFU and OBSNG? He hasn't played a game for Sarries and yet when fit he could walk into the England team. Just on past reputation in rugby league. If I was an England hopeful in that position I would feel very aggrieved at that. A criminal waste of time and money by the RFU.

On one hand we will be the most disadvantaged club during the internationals periods. On the other hand a golden opportunity to give more experience to the likes of Tom, Chris Bell etc has been missed.

Of course they may still make the Top 40 at a later stage but they should be in there from the very start.
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Further to all that, I now have the feeling that we will never see Ollie in a full England shirt again. He is still being overlooked and as along as somebody like OBSNG remains in charge he will never get a look-in. Its very sad for Ollie but his full England days seem to be numbered. :( :( :( :( :(
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Completely agree Simon. It would be easier (and better for Tigers) if both Cozza and Dayglo were both excluded from the squad. I think his gob made serious problems in the squad last season. I'm guessing.... But there is simply no place in the squad for an arrogant "has been", or even "was" like him when younger and better players are coming though.

I missed Matt Tait. That was a good call. IMHO. Would be nice if he played, then we would have a use for wingers ;) and therefore no use for Cohen.

Would be interesting to see what they do with Farrell... ie where they play him. I wonder if he even knows the RU positions ;) :D Scary thought. I don't think it would bother England hopefuls too much. He will be injured until the WC and the retire after it. ;)

I seriously think that England should play a younger team for at least one of the AIs just for development (and to lure the SH in to a false sense of security.. maybe ;) with a couple of older heads in the team.

It's squads like this that really frustrate me and really make me lose interest in the 2007 WC, even though I could easily watch a few of the games (Paris is not that far from here!) I don't think England will be playing that many and may even has to qualify for 2011 :( At least by then we should have a new coach and hopefully a whole new infrastructure. Again.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Simon, stop doing that... posting while I'm still writing ;)

I sort of agree about Ollie. I think (and hope) though that his form is getting better and next season he will do well. And in my blind optimism, I think he will get picked after the WC when OBNSG loses his job! or at least I hope so. But until then, may he play for the Tigers!!
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

Pellsey, I very much hope so about Ollie but have my doubts. Sorry for nipping in first!

I agree with you that a younger squad should be picked for at least one of the AIs but doubt it will happen with OBNSG and like you I am getting frustrated with such squads. I am still interested in the next World Cup just for seeing the likes of NZ and Australia. I have the same expectations as you on England's chances in the next World Cup based on current selection. A new coach if by any chance OBSNG goes after the next World Cup may improve things but they will still have to work under the same mismanagement by the likes of the RFU fools and may well still have the PRL vs RFU battle still to contend with. Indeed, by then that battle may well have caused a potential unavailablity of the top players. Who knows?
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

simon redshaw wrote:A new coach if by any chance OBSNG goes after the next World Cup may improve things but they will still have to work under the same mismanagement by the likes of the RFU fools and may well still have the PRL vs RFU battle still to contend with. Indeed, by then that battle may well have caused a potential unavailablity of the top players. Who knows?
Thats a very good point, and a very worrying one. I'm hoping that the mess should be sorted out by then, at least to some degree.

Yeah, I'll still watch the WC. Maybe I'll catch the final.. NZ vs France (if that's possible)... Now, do I have any black clothes.... ;) :lol:
Mountsorrel Tiger
Tiger Cub

Varndell - I think he's in the right squad, as he will train with England when they get together and benefit from the best backs coach in the NH in Brian Ashton. It is too late to try a lot of younger players for the next WC - should have been done after the last world cup! Having said that AR MUST use at least 30 players in the AI as nobody will play more than three games - cue Varndell et al. against Argentina. If Dayglo is still playing for the next world cup then there is a fairly valid arguement for selecting him, as he is one of the best 8's in the country, same with Catt.

After the WC, then there should be a clear out, based on us potentially getting our asses kicked in the 6N but developing the young players.

Oh just realised, where would Varndell play? Robinson is on record as saying Balshaw is th best 15 in the country and if fit will play at the WC, so I'm guessing Lewsy and Cueto on the wings.......
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

Moutsorrel Tiger. I don't think Catt is one of the best No. 8s in the country. I much prefer him at inside centre in the 1990s. ;) Sorry mate, just kidding.

I understand your point though. I personally am not thinking towards the world cup now, because as you say it's too late. I still think Varndell should be played to get experience and improve, even if we are now working towards 2011! I can't remember OBNSG saying that Balshaw is the best 15 in the country, but if he did, we need serious help. I rate Balshaw as a good club player, but far too "gangly" and uncoordinated for internationals. IMHO Lewsey makes a fine number 15. But at the end of the day, we have no control, the RFU have the control and we are powerless to change anything... so we have to admit to ourselves that we are going to get smashed in the AIs, the 6Ns and the WC as OBNSG puts out another "going-nowhere" team of "has been"s and "going-nowhere"s and not developing talented prospects. I'm going to concentrate on Tigers winning the treble next year. Ahem. :P
simon redshaw
Super User
Super User

Post by simon redshaw »

That would be very nice Pellsey! :D :D :D :D Tigers winning the treble and beating Sale in the Premiership play-offs! :wink:

I think OBSNG will go out the same way from the next World Cup as Sven Goran-Erikkson did in the football continuing with dull, unimaginative selections and going out with a whimper. Like SG-E, when he eventually leaves the job, hopefully after the next World Cup, he will still be alright Jack, financially. And somebody will also be fool enough to give him another job.
Mountsorrel Tiger
Tiger Cub

It was in Rugby World recently about Balshaw being first choice which suprised me. a lot. In terms of younger players, I'd play Tait as I think he is ready for international rugby now, let Varndell play at Tigers and build confidence with games for the Saxons, a cap against Argentina and through training with Ashton to help him with his game. Speaking more generally, after the WC they'd both play, along with Ben Fodden or Danny Care at 9, Paice at 2, and Lund at 7. The WC is a write off, but I think if we are to do anything (and I mean get through the group) we should take experienced players. Also let the younger guys come in after that, when hopefully Robinson is gone, and there is no connection to the WC winning team.

Robinson really should have put the youngsters in years ago, and stuck with Tait - if he'd have been given more of a chance he might well have been one of the best 13's in world rugby by now. maybe im too optimistic.....
Bill W
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W »

Where is El Supremo????