LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by RagingBull »

ay2oh wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:47 am
RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:44 am Rugby Paper saying Tigers are chasing Tommy Taylor.
If this is this probably means no Montoya
Not sure why?
ay2oh
Super User
Super User

Re: LEICESTER TIGERS 2020/21 SQUAD/TRANSFERS/CONTRACT THREAD EPISODE IV: A New Hope

Post by ay2oh »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:49 am
RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:44 am Rugby Paper saying Tigers are chasing Tommy Taylor.
Not sure why?
Because I don’t see us paying 2 high salaries in one position especially as we already have four hookers on the books
A2O
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

I dunno, Kerr may be a little unsettled as he seems to have dropped behind Clare in the pecking order (hard to say he may have had Covid), if Youngs is retiring and one other is unsettled we may be looking at 2 signings. Even if it's just one I'm happy not to have all eggs in one basket, I mean if Montoya in his next gets a significant injury it would leave us stranded.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

https://twitter.com/rugbypass/status/13 ... 79328?s=21

Edinburgh have been stated as favourites to sign Boan Venter (who was linked as an individual we are looking at) - wonders whether this has any impact on de Bruin or if that was also a done deal.

Shame to miss out on both, if this is the case.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Doubt it would have any impact on de Bruin.
RunTigerRun
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by RunTigerRun »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:05 pm Doubt it would have any impact on de Bruin.
Probably wishful thinking on my part!!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

On Taylor I feel that's it's mainly agent talk from his side.
I also don't think he would be a big money signing really.

He's 29 year old Hooker with 1 England cap in 2016.
He's suffered from injury problems which has kept him from having a run of games.

I would say he's looking at a back up position for most if not all prem teams.
Bath - Dunn
Bristol - Thacker
Exeter - LCD, Yeandle
Gloucester - Singleton
Quins - Baldwin
Irish - Creevy
Falcons - Mcguigan
Sale - Akker
Sarries - George

The thing is with Wasps they have Cruse, Oghre and depending on position Barbeary.
They won't want to pay too much for Taylor, so my feeling is they are in talks with Taylor and playing hardball with him.

NOW who is his agency you might think, well I believe it's Greenroom sports which a certain Wilks brother is still currently involved in. :smt017 so who knows.

Personally I also wonder if Mamu is on a 1 year deal. Montoya from all noise out of tigers is done for next season. I don't know if Youngs is quite ready to call it a day either he's been playing his best rugby since Cockerill left under Borthwick.
I don't think it would be unrealistic to think our Hookers stock being Montoya, Taylor, Youngs and Clare.
TA30
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by TA30 »

Suspect you are right RB, Taylor does not find himself in a strong negotiating position at wasps with oghre and barbeary coming through. If he does leave id expect sale to try and get him back, he'd improve their line out.

Would be amazed if Kerr is here next season, i hope both Youngs and Clare are still around alongside Montoya. Early days into a long season but Mamu is starting to give me panic buy vibes (not on the same level as enever) and would take Taylor over him, presumably on similar wage.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

Should the Taylor rumor have any substance I certainly would not object to his signature should he retain the ability he possessed at or near his peak.Badly hampered by injuries in the last couple of years , but prior to this highly accurate and efficient hooker.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:27 am
I dunno, Kerr may be a little unsettled as he seems to have dropped behind Clare in the pecking order (hard to say he may have had Covid), if Youngs is retiring and one other is unsettled we may be looking at 2 signings. Even if it's just one I'm happy not to have all eggs in one basket, I mean if Montoya in his next gets a significant injury it would leave us stranded.
Some of the players who are being named as possibly not being with us next year are not out of contract next year. I think the only one who may be able to move is Lewis as his contract expires at the end of the 2020/2021 season. I may be wrong though! The others re-signed for 2 years plus in some cases during lockdown when Manu, Bateman et al all left.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Do you have a link that says the length of the contracts?
Snoopydog68
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Snoopydog68 »

RagingBull wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:01 pm Do you have a link that says the length of the contracts?
I don't I'm afraid. A friend of mine knows someone who knows Kerr's girlfriend and Kerr has recently taken on a mortgage this year as he was signed for a further 2 years. Some of the re-signings were for 3 years but do not have any proof - Sorry - could all be heresay and I'm talking complete cobblers!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Snoopydog68 wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:45 pm
TigerFeetSteve wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:27 am

Some of the players who are being named as possibly not being with us next year are not out of contract next year. I think the only one who may be able to move is Lewis as his contract expires at the end of the 2020/2021 season. I may be wrong though! The others re-signed for 2 years plus in some cases during lockdown when Manu, Bateman et al all left.
Would make sense. A chunky pay cut would be more palatable if you've got a contract extension giving you financial security. We're assuming Kerr is annoyed at his lack of game time, behind the scenes Borthwick may have a development plan in place for him and they have a good working relationship.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Interesting that Kerr wasn’t announced among the re-signings this season and his last one was in the 2018/19 season for 2 years.
TigerFeetSteve
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerFeetSteve »

Saying Mamukashvili is a panic buy is definitely early, when we first signed him GM said after the restart he had a niggle, so only played a tiny bit right at the end since the end of the internationals (of which he played in all of them)

Brive we went with the combination that we had the week before

Bayonne we gave Clare a start and the Hooker most in need of game time, Kerr the start too.

Looking at it, with Clare concussed, I could also well believe that Hooker is possibly a position we wouldn't have needed much Covid exposure in this position round the squad for us to be unable to field a team.
Used to run around with an 11, 14 or 15 on my back.