Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Robespierre
Super User
Super User

Re: Transfers & Rumours Non-Tigers 2022

Post by Robespierre »

Alun-Wyn Jones is due to play the last match of his career for Toulon tomorrrow at 5pm Clermont's Stade Michelin.

It will only be his fifth match for Toulon for whom he signed as a short term World Cup joker, and according to coach Pierre Mignoni and his team mates, he's certainly left an impression on the club. They use the word "guerrier" to describe him, which few would disagree with (except maybe one or two on this forum!).
For those of you who understand French, this article is well worth reading.

https://www.rugbyrama.fr/2023/11/17/top ... 584309.php
Semper in excretia
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

LekkerTigers wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:25 am The SRU are trying to lure Alex Coles north. Apparently he’s Scottish Qualified and they’ve hardly got a surplus of decent locks up there. He’s on the last year of his contract as well.
Wouldn't be SQ until the end of 2025 as he has three England caps from 2022. Earliest he could make his debut would then be 2026 6N. With Lawes likely to retire you'd have thought he'd have a better offer from Saints than the SRU.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

The South African has this news re Tom Curry - very sad if it turns out to be serious for Tom - really like him as a player who I would have at Tigers in a flash.

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/sport/r ... mber-2023/
Hehehehehehehehe
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Itoje’s wages being halved by Sarries. Who knew that they would actually comply with the salary cap? Apparently not happy, rumours off France. He’s on 800k at the moment.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:59 pm Itoje’s wages being halved by Sarries. Who knew that they would actually comply with the salary cap? Apparently not happy, rumours off France. He’s on 800k at the moment.
Yeah and it being made public smacks of Sarries putting pressure on the RFU to bring in hybrid contracts.

As the salary cap is due to go back up they could adjust their squad and use some of the rise to make it work if they wanted I'm sure.
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

sam16111986 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:16 pm
Tigers86asw wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 9:59 pm Itoje’s wages being halved by Sarries. Who knew that they would actually comply with the salary cap? Apparently not happy, rumours off France. He’s on 800k at the moment.
Yeah and it being made public smacks of Sarries putting pressure on the RFU to bring in hybrid contracts.

As the salary cap is due to go back up they could adjust their squad and use some of the rise to make it work if they wanted I'm sure.
Agreed. It’s all been made public for a reason; either Sarries pressing the RFU or Itoje’s agent doing the same thing. Sure another side in the prem would pay him a lot, even if not 800k. He’s a guaranteed starter for England and that’s would at least 200k a year.

Have no sympathy at all. Sarries are part of the reason for the wages in England are not sustainable. You reap what you sow.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Despite Baxter making light of it, Chiefs have been staring at significant losses (£4m last year), as I said over a season ago. I got scoffed at on here for suggesting that the money people surrounding the club - and the season ticket buyers - were going to be thinner on the ground. The former because the club nose dived after the euro win, and the latter because the cost of living climbed as did the price of tickets. Tony Rowe dragged in money year on year, but the end of that may soon come when the assets are all sold. Chiefs needed a couple of big seasons to keep the crowds, didn't happen. I would not be surprised if a total buy-out didn't come in the next year.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigers86asw wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:22 pm
sam16111986 wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:16 pm

Agreed. It’s all been made public for a reason; either Sarries pressing the RFU or Itoje’s agent doing the same thing. Sure another side in the prem would pay him a lot, even if not 800k. He’s a guaranteed starter for England and that’s would at least 200k a year.

Have no sympathy at all. Sarries are part of the reason for the wages in England are not sustainable. You reap what you sow.
Sarries are also offering between £400k and £450k according to reports. He's not going to be going poor and any team that wants to sign him is going to have to be offering £700k a year plus so that's 800k in Euros. He'd be one of the best paid players in France or Japan on those figures. Not going to be easy to find a club who's got that big a hole in their budget to fill.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

the financial state of English Rugby mean the RFU need to do one thing, let England players play in France, take that financial burden off of the clubs that cannot cope with it
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:00 pm the financial state of English Rugby mean the RFU need to do one thing, let England players play in France, take that financial burden off of the clubs that cannot cope with it
Not sure that will be good for the English game with top players moving away....less attractive for the club fans?
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Tigers86asw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tigers86asw »

Tigerbeat wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 6:52 am
Jimmy Skitz wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 11:00 pm the financial state of English Rugby mean the RFU need to do one thing, let England players play in France, take that financial burden off of the clubs that cannot cope with it
Not sure that will be good for the English game with top players moving away....less attractive for the club fans?
It’s not a long term solution.
kk20gb30
Super User
Super User

Post by kk20gb30 »

I'm afraid , in all professional sport money and winning are the deciding factors , and more than not go hand in hand - however unsavoury on occasions.
Seemingly heading rapidly toward senility .....Not long or far to go now , in fact, getting worse daily.....
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Earl out for 6-8 weeks
Lozowski has done his ACL
Tom Curry out for the season for hip surgery!
Old Hob
Super User
Super User

Post by Old Hob »

jgriffin wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:23 pm Despite Baxter making light of it, Chiefs have been staring at significant losses (£4m last year), as I said over a season ago. I got scoffed at on here for suggesting that the money people surrounding the club - and the season ticket buyers - were going to be thinner on the ground. The former because the club nose dived after the euro win, and the latter because the cost of living climbed as did the price of tickets. Tony Rowe dragged in money year on year, but the end of that may soon come when the assets are all sold. Chiefs needed a couple of big seasons to keep the crowds, didn't happen. I would not be surprised if a total buy-out didn't come in the next year.
Total buy out or collapse?
Omnia dicta fortiora si dicta Latina
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Old Hob wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 7:43 pm
jgriffin wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 10:23 pm Despite Baxter making light of it, Chiefs have been staring at significant losses (£4m last year), as I said over a season ago. I got scoffed at on here for suggesting that the money people surrounding the club - and the season ticket buyers - were going to be thinner on the ground. The former because the club nose dived after the euro win, and the latter because the cost of living climbed as did the price of tickets. Tony Rowe dragged in money year on year, but the end of that may soon come when the assets are all sold. Chiefs needed a couple of big seasons to keep the crowds, didn't happen. I would not be surprised if a total buy-out didn't come in the next year.
Total buy out or collapse?
The real estate still has value, and I don't know whether they still gain rents from all of it. I expected David Lloyd to buy out the estate, then lease the stadium to the club at one point. Chiefs' success surfed a wave of incoming money that started with the MetOffice, but such moments have their time - as house purchase prices skyrocketed, demand began to fall from commuters etc. I think Chiefs' have got stuck with several such moments - getting too pricey, not enough success on the pitch, Rowe ageing and exhausting sources of finance etc. The only person making money is my brother Mike, whose house at the end of the suspension walk is rented out to the ladies team forwards.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.